Tugged twice by Police on same day for no IDP for car....

Chivas

I haven't even been pulled over since I got my dashcam.

The first year I was here I got invited to an event that required a press pass with a photo. I held on to it.

I carry it in my car. I have been pulled over ten times (I reckon) with three times on one trip to Ubon.

When pulled over I would hand it over with my license while mentioning that I work for an English speaking newspaper in Thailand.

I was always guilty, apart from one occasion. Never got fined. One copper shook my hand, said it was nice to meet me and suggested I slow down.

The Thais that I have had in the car with me at the various occasions have been very impressed.

I haven't needed it since I got the dashcam.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP has been breaking the law for 19 years and 9 months.

In order to drive in Thailand the requirements are:

1. A national drivers licence issued in your home country, AND
  2. An International Driving Permit in support of the national drivers licence. *NB – Some believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  3. The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP (national drivers license with photo) is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For driving in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.
Edited by Oink

The op was only passing on info.

Anyway, money collection days (Police money go-round)

do nothing, to improve safety on the roads, so who cares. coffee1.gif

They should spend there time

Catching the Murderous, dangerous, selfish, drivers of Thailand.

Just have a look at this murderer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQBZue6190

Edited by onemorechang

You could always get --snip--

Kurt

What you seem to be talking about is the fake International driving licence which has no value to you and only makes money for the scammers who sell them.

However if you have a UK licence you can get a genuine IDP sent to you overseas by the RAC possibly also by the AA. They do charge a bit more for the international postage, but last time I got one from the RACit was less than 15 pounds.

However it is only legal for 90 days from your arrival in Thailand. Of course the RTP are known for their individualistic enforcement (or non enforcement) of the law. So your mileage may vary.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

So you got stopped at a roadblock you know is often at the same place and silly enough to get done on the way back, very same place?

And how much is an IDP back home? 15/20 pounds?

Good to see a traffic cop getting the pad straight out, rather than waiting for a bribe

"And how much is an IDP back home? 15/20 pounds?"

£5.50 at the post office...

But I think the OP will need to hop on a plane back to Blighty to get one.

If you get it thorough the AA in the uk ( all done on line )

I do believe, they will post your international driving permit to you ( even in Thailand )

its just a little more money for postage.

It was like this a few years ago. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

2. An International Driving Permit in support of the national drivers licence. *NB – Some believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  3. The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP (national drivers license with photo) is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For driving in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

But the IDP is issued under international convention/treaty valid for 1 year...

By imposing a 90 day limit Thailand may well be in breach international convention/treaty.

So you got stopped at a roadblock you know is often at the same place and silly enough to get done on the way back, very same place?

Good to see a traffic cop getting the pad straight out, rather than waiting for a bribe

"And how much is an IDP back home? 15/20 pounds?"

£5.50 at the post office...

But I think the OP will need to hop on a plane back to Blighty to get one.

If you get it thorough the AA in the uk ( all done on line )

I do believe, they will post your international driving permit to you ( even in Thailand )

its just a little more money for postage.

It was like this a few years ago. wai2.gif

Aren't you lucky. In Australia they'll set you back $44 (1100 baht) including domestic postage. It's only that cheap in baht because the AUD has gone to shit.

By imposing a 90 day limit Thailand may well be in breach international convention/treaty.

It's valid for 3 years in my home country...

I don't think that its validity has anything to do with this 90 or 60 days limit.

I can certainly use the same IDP if I stay, say, 2 times 60 days across its validity period.

In the UK foreign visitors may drive for up to 12 months on a foreign driving licence, if stopped the police check with the immigration data base to see how long the driver has been in the UK, could be very easy for the RTP to do the same...

It's valid for 3 years in my home country...

I don't think that its validity has anything to do with this 90 or 60 days limit.

I can certainly use the same IDP if I stay, say, 2 times 60 days across its validity period.

Possibly then if one stays more than 90 days in Thailand one is deemed to be a resident.

Show them vienna and geneva conventions. U dont need IDL

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Of course you dont as there is no such thing as an international driving licence, besides if the OP claims "residency" here, he should have a Thai DL, IDPs and even using a foreign license is legally only allowed for a period of 90 days, the foreign DL and IDP is intended for tourists not residents as he stated he had been here 10 years

We had that discussion a few weeks ago already, and IDP and IDL are one and the same thing, some countrie name it this way and other countries name it the other way.

Keep in mind US doesn't rule the world, as many Americans may think, and by the way the US embassy in Thailand uses the word International driver LICENSE on their website, so sure it must exist.

You should really understand what you're talking about before giving bad advice.

Thailand only ratified the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva)

Thailand has Not ratified the 1968 convention (Vienna)

Neither of these exempt you from the need for a certified translation (IDP) of your foreign licence. In fact they both specify the details of the IDP and languages

The RTP will often accept an English language licence with a photo on it.

The convention specifically requires an IDP in Thailand

Chapter IV

DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES

ARTICLE 41

Contracting Parties shall recognize:

(a) Any domestic permit drawn up in their national language or in one of their national languages, or, if not drawn up in such a language, accompanied by a certified translation;

However Thailand can choose not to enforce that provision. Edited by sometimewoodworker

• A national drivers licence issued in your home country, AND
  • An International Driving Permit in support of the national drivers licence. *NB Some believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP (national drivers license with photo) is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For driving in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

There is nothing I can find in the convention that specifies a length of time that an IDP is acceptable. So unless you would like to quote the article then No Thailand is not in breach.

You should really understand what you're talking about before giving bad advice.

Neither of these exempt you from the need for a certified translation (IDP) of your foreign licence. In fact they both specify the details of the IDP and languages

Chapter IV

ARTICLE 41

(a) Any domestic permit drawn up in their national language or in one of their national languages, or, if not drawn up in such a language, accompanied by a certified translation;

However Thailand can choose not to enforce that provision.

Just note the IDP does not have Thai as a translated language so it does not help police

in understanding your licence.

Chapter IV

ARTICLE 41

Just note the IDP does not have Thai as a translated language so it does not help police

in understanding your licence.

Not correct.

The categories are standard

If you have a stamp in the top one you are licensed to drive a motorcycle

If you have a stamp in the second space you are licensed to drive a car

That is not rocket science and a very simple training exercise.

They don't need to understand anything other than the position of the stamp and the meaning of the position

Thailand has the option not to accept stamps in position 3, 4, & 5

So the RTP do not need to understand your local licence.

The only exception to this would be if there are exclusions noted on the photo page

There is no requirement under the convention to have every language (there is a specific prohibition against more than 6 languages)

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• A national drivers licence issued in your home country, AND
  • An International Driving Permit in support of the national drivers licence. *NB Some believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP (national drivers license with photo) is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For driving in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.
The visa has nothing to do with the time you are legal on an IDP, (you can get an extension of stay on a Tourist Visa )

The limit is 90 days from your entry into Thailand.

Chapter IV

ARTICLE 41

Most Thai policemen will not know the difference between an IDP and IDL or something else and which one is legit in Thailand or not.

Many moons ago I was stopped by a policeman and asked for my driver license, I was at that time still a tourist and it was one of my first times in Thailand.

I wore an old army coat from my military duty as I was making a trip through the country on a motorbike. I reached in my pocket and discovered a medical passport from my military term.

I handed it to him with the words, this is my international driving license. I know he replied, and let me on my way.

A lot of posters refer to what the law says about using a foreign license and IDP but never actually. quote it.

Here is what the law says. Pay particular note to the time limits it specifies for how long a foreign license is acceptable.

Motor Vehicle Act - B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 3: Driver’s License

Section 42
Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver’s license. The driver must carry the driver’s license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2
In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

A lot of posters refer to what the law says about using a foreign license and IDP but never actually. quote it.

Here is what the law says. Pay particular note to the time limits it specifies for how long a foreign license is acceptable.

Motor Vehicle Act - B.E. 2522 (1979)

Title 3: Driver’s License

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver’s license. The driver must carry the driver’s license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver’s license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there’s a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver’s license, an alien who doesn’t have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver’s license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

Thanks for that. Could you please explain what an "immigrant visa" is? I have an extension on a non-immigrant visa.

I don't think the OP said he has been living in Thailand for 20 years.

He said "In future I certainly will start renewing the IDP yearly. It wasn't the cost obviously just that never ever asked for it before in well over 2 decades"

So, maybe, he has just been visiting Thailand for 20 years and doesn't need/qualify for a Thai DL.

And you can be sure that the insurance companies are very familiar with these rules. If you don't have what they consider to be a valid licence; then they will refuse to pay up. Not having the correct licence could cost you a whole lot more than a fine!

Strange I have never ever been stopped by Police at the Ambassador. I have never ever even seen a police checkpoint there, however I only frequent that area on weekends. Anyway I have decided to never ever pay any bribes to police, this has resulted in a number of funny things, for example I was stopped on a road for going to fast, I said no I was not going too fast, but if you have evidence, please give me the address to nearest police station so I can pay the fines. This usually results in a begging for some moneys related to the good Police officer after all making a pretty good job, and after I say no thank you they wave me off....

But please be aware of the common scam with the "yaba" planted inside your gasoline lid when tanking up at the latest gas station....always check in the side rear view mirror and if suspicions arise, stop just after filling up and check...

And do not ever lower your window at a check point if they ask you to, they will drop some bag into your car. Just drive ahead and stop at the designated spot, go out of the car and keep your distance to the supposed cops...Just open the window wide enough you can hear them and they can hear you, be sure to video on dash cam and mobiles...If possible it is uploaded as you record so that it will be on the web if they decide to trash your recording equipment.

Edited by AlQaholic

It is just £5.50 at a UK Post Office! (275 baht) and takes 5 minutes.

Yes in the past a UK licence was sufficient but they have more recently been requiring IDP.. my visiting friend got stopped and fined. He grumbled and groaned for days but despite my warning him couldn't make the effort to get the IDP despite having opportunity to.

Of course it is a money making exercise for the police, but Songkran is coming up!

Strange I have never ever been stopped by Police at the Ambassador. I have never ever even seen a police checkpoint there, however I only frequent that area on weekends. Anyway I have decided to never ever pay any bribes to police, this has resulted in a number of funny things, for example I was stopped on a road for going to fast, I said no I was not going too fast, but if you have evidence, please give me the address to nearest police station so I can pay the fines. This usually results in a begging for some moneys related to the good Police officer after all making a pretty good job, and after I say no thank you they wave me off....

But please be aware of the common scam with the "yaba" planted inside your gasoline lid when tanking up at the latest gas station....always check in the side rear view mirror and if suspicions arise, stop just after filling up and check...

And do not ever lower your window at a check point if they ask you to, they will drop some bag into your car. Just drive ahead and stop at the designated spot, go out of the car and keep your distance to the supposed cops...Just open the window wide enough you can hear them and they can hear you, be sure to video on dash cam and mobiles...If possible it is uploaded as you record so that it will be on the web if they decide to trash your recording equipment.

Do you cover your car in tin foil as well.......wink.png

The police stop near Ambassador has been such a regular feature that I think most people have stopped mentioning it.

It appears you either live in Thailand or are a frequent visitor. Why not get a Thai license? Obviously you know your driving license from home is not accepted but you continue to act stupid and drive on it. I cant understand why you find it so hard to comply with the rules. Every country with a few exceptions require an IDP

Get thai licence. Its easy process tho.

Btw. I think he dont need IDL by law. Are they scamming ppl?

"Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic."

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences

I heard about man printing out Geneva convention taking it to police station and they canceled it ticked. Was whike ago tho.

Can someone clarify pls

Chivas did not mention what type of permission to stay he has but his reference to having been in Thailand for two decades would seem to indicate that it is based on entry into Thailand with a non-immigrant visa, in which case he would need and IDL as per this text form the page to which you linked:

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

...Neither Thailand nor any of the English speaking countries, (UK, US, Aust, NZ, Can.) ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention.

See page 2 of the attached Vienna Convention.

attachicon.gifXI-B-20.en.pdf

Your post is unclear. Are you supporting the statement that Thailand has not ratified the convention?

Because your PDF makes clear that though Thailand was a signatory to the convention it has not ratified it. Thus it is not binding on Thailand.