Tugged twice by Police on same day for no IDP for car....

Chivas

...Neither Thailand nor any of the English speaking countries, (UK, US, Aust, NZ, Can.) ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention.

See page 2 of the attached Vienna Convention.

attachicon.gifXI-B-20.en.pdf

Exactly, it shows that both the UK and Thailand "signed" but never followed with the ratification. That's why only the 1949 Geneva treaty applies to both countries.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get thai licence. Its easy process tho.

Btw. I think he dont need IDL by law. Are they scamming ppl?

"Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic."

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences

I heard about man printing out Geneva convention taking it to police station and they canceled it ticked. Was whike ago tho.

Can someone clarify pls

Chivas did not mention what type of permission to stay he has but his reference to having been in Thailand for two decades would seem to indicate that it is based on entry into Thailand with a non-immigrant visa, in which case he would need and IDL as per this text form the page to which you linked:

Yes standard Visa Exempt and Tourist Visas for last 24 years. Dont live here

OP has been breaking the law for 19 years and 9 months.

In order to drive in Thailand the requirements are:

1. A national drivers licence issued in your home country, AND
  2. An International Driving Permit in support of the national drivers licence. *NB – Some believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  3. The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP (national drivers license with photo) is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For driving in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

And you can be sure that the insurance companies are very familiar with these rules. If you don't have what they consider to be a valid licence; then they will refuse to pay up. Not having the correct licence could cost you a whole lot more than a fine!

The car was rented from British Crew on 3rd road. Spoke to owner about precisely this and he said absolutely no problem from his point of view as insurance perfectly vaild..I assume he knows his own insurers must have had claims as been here 19 years.

Strange I have never ever been stopped by Police at the Ambassador. I have never ever even seen a police checkpoint there, however I only frequent that area on weekends. Anyway I have decided to never ever pay any bribes to police, this has resulted in a number of funny things, for example I was stopped on a road for going to fast, I said no I was not going too fast, but if you have evidence, please give me the address to nearest police station so I can pay the fines. This usually results in a begging for some moneys related to the good Police officer after all making a pretty good job, and after I say no thank you they wave me off....

But please be aware of the common scam with the "yaba" planted inside your gasoline lid when tanking up at the latest gas station....always check in the side rear view mirror and if suspicions arise, stop just after filling up and check...

And do not ever lower your window at a check point if they ask you to, they will drop some bag into your car. Just drive ahead and stop at the designated spot, go out of the car and keep your distance to the supposed cops...Just open the window wide enough you can hear them and they can hear you, be sure to video on dash cam and mobiles...If possible it is uploaded as you record so that it will be on the web if they decide to trash your recording equipment.

You sound like you are using yabaa. Paranoid much?

So you got stopped at a roadblock you know is often at the same place and silly enough to get done on the way back, very same place?

And how much is an IDP back home? 15/20 pounds?

Good to see a traffic cop getting the pad straight out, rather than waiting for a bribe

Whats with the smartarse reply ?? I'm clearly laughing at myself in the OP. I believe IDP is around a fiver thats all

It was a warning to others thats all. Shall not bother in the future

Unfortunately here at TV their is a plethora of these waiting to put poison pen to paper like above.

In my case thanks for sharing. I had a similar situation near Cambodian border, was asked for IDL after showing Oz licence. Always keep an old one in the car glovebox and feinged that it was meant to be in glove box but gee must have left at home ( In laws had done too good a clean of car i think and chucked it out) after a bit of thinking he said on your way. 2 hours later on way back other side of road stopped different officer , IDL requested, same story, MIB not as accommodating but I mentioned other officer earlier said it was ok. He was not happy gave his fellow officer 100m down on the other side a dirty look and sent me on my way, very reluctantly.

Lesson learnt will be grabbing IDL before heading over next month

Although they probably can not read a IDP... as all IDP's are in the same format they probably understand what catogories A, B, C, D & E are...

I was also looking at the Stamp used (for the UK it is AA in a square box) and considered how easy it is to forge and if someone was to do that I am sure the consequences of using a forged document are eye watering...

Edited by Basil B

So you got stopped at a roadblock you know is often at the same place and silly enough to get done on the way back, very same place?

And how much is an IDP back home? 15/20 pounds?

Good to see a traffic cop getting the pad straight out, rather than waiting for a bribe

£5.50 from a Post office in UK.

A lot cheaper than all those fines. coffee1.gif

Edited by khundon

Just following up from OP re Thai Licence but from bit of research its clear you cannot apply with a tourist visa only unless website information is wrong.

I will just reapply for IDP annually back in the uk

Some of the responses made me laugh as I have an Advanced British Licence which 99.99% of all thais would never pass in a million years and yet you can pick up a thai licence after proving you can put a stick shift into reverse !!

Edited by Chivas

Just following up from OP re Thai Licence but from bit of research its clear you cannot apply with a tourist visa only unless website information is wrong.

Some of the responses made me laugh as I have an Advanced British Licence which 99.99% of all thais would never pass in a million years and yet you can pick up a thai licence after proving you can put a stick shift into reverse !!

But 99.99% of Thais don't have to pay fines for only having an advanced British license :)

But 99.99% of Thais don't have to pay fines for only having an advanced British license smile.png

What......??

You research is lacking, or you missed important information in your reply, although if you are here for less than 90 days each visit then you are completely legal with an IDP, and it maybe the simple way.

Some DLT offices will exactly follow the directions from the DLT, and in those offices you may not get a license.

However many offices will issue, and keep issuing, a temporary (2year) licence to everyone on shorter permissions to stay. Tourist visa, visa on arrival, visa exempt, transit visa. All can and have got licences and many reported here.

You research is lacking, or you missed important information in your reply, although if you are here for less than 90 days each visit then you are completely legal with an IDP, and it maybe the simple way.

Some DLT offices will exactly follow the directions from the DLT, and in those offices you may not get a license.

However many offices will issue, and keep issuing, a temporary (2year) licence to everyone on shorter permissions to stay. Tourist visa, visa on arrival, visa exempt, transit visa. All can and have got licences and many reported here.

Agreed - as long as all the rest of your paperwork is in order never heard of anyone having issues at Pattaya even with a visa waiver stamp.

At the Pattaya DLT office upstairs on the wall is a very large printed communication poster in English about requirements, costs etc. When I changed my licences due to passport change I queried the cost pointing out what it said on the poster - old they said, changed......The OP should know never to rely solely on web site info here thumbsup.gif