Phuket officials test Patong's brown beach water for pollution

rooster59

Phuket officials test Patong's brown beach water for pollution

Eakkapop Thongtub

post-247607-0-38939800-1458971184_thumb.

Tests have yet to conclude what containants Patong's beach water may contain. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Sea water at Patong Beach is being tested for pollution after complaints of large brown patches recurring at Phuket’s key tourist beach, and complaints of people breaking out in skin rashes from contact with the water.

Officers led by Suphasit Boonpeinphol from the Phuket Marine Biological Centre collected the samples of sea water, and seaweed strewn along the sand, yesterday of (Mar 25).
Samples were collected from three locations: at the Pakbang Canal outflow at the southern end of the beach; near the Police Box at the end of Bangla Rd; and at Loma Park
“We were told that there have been dark brown patches of water along the beach since March 21,” said Mr Suphasit.
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-03-26

Faecal matter. Phuket is famous for it.

Everytime i have someone invite me to patong, i always offer to drive them to a clean beach even if it means having to drive to dirty patong myself and take them there through the annoying mountain road. Can't believe someone would dip their skin into that water. Would rather drink tap water through 30yo thai pipes.

Nope. They are algae blooms caused by the algae feeding on fecal matter.

We all know the result that the officials will come up with. Harmless.

They have now stopped regular testing of water at the beaches and publishing the results, because they don't want to admit the truth and scare the tourists away.

And tourists never ask where the sludge water of the mass of buildings is discharged...

Strange post... Did you ever think about where it went? Who does! Most of us don't think of where our turds go, if you do then you need to find a better hobby, or book to read.

Nope. They are algae blooms caused by the algae feeding on fecal matter.

We all know the result that the officials will come up with. Harmless.

They have now stopped regular testing of water at the beaches and publishing the results, because they don't want to admit the truth and scare the tourists away.

And the headline from a local paper today:-

"Patong Bay safe for swimming, despite algae bloom, say experts"

Edited by KarenBravo

Sea water should be green, blue or shades in between. If it's brown, it's polluted. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Sea water should be totally transparent, or, slightly green.

The sea is only blue because of the sky's reflection.

When I first came to Phuket, the water off Patong beach was as clear as gin.

What does a water test kit cost? If reasonable I'd buy one.

Phuket's dirty little secret. Relying on public officials for test results is ridiculous. If they found pollution they would be immediately sacked.

What does a water test kit cost? If reasonable I'd buy one.

Phuket's dirty little secret. Relying on public officials for test results is ridiculous. If they found pollution they would be immediately sacked.

AFAIK it has always been their policy to not reveal test results to the public, merely a summary, which we all know will be as already posted.

My friend, myself and a child swam in an area at northern end of Patong beach near the rocks. That area was normal coloured sea water. I left Phuket on Friday 25th, no skin problems. They swam in same area next day 26th, water colour same as before no algae blooms of any colour and nothing visible in the water.. During swimming they felt like burning or bites on their bodies. As of today they have a rash ( could still be multiple tiny bites ) over many parts of their body. No nausea but incessant itching, no potions or lotions of any kind ( inc good old Chinese prickly heat powder ) working. People with this condition should especially avoid foods such as Kimchi or any fermented foods, high chili, high salt, high sugar; stay in low humidity environment ( difficult ! ), wear loose fitting 100% cotton clothes.

Not that it will happen but someone needs to be honest about what was in the water, whether it was natural or man made.

Perhaps people should send their medical bills to the authorities for payment if it was not an algae or insect caused event.

On a final note "Don't Drink The Water !"