Baby's Surname In Thailand

skeetaboat

Does anyone know the process in Thailand for registering a baby's name?

Our baby will be born in Thailand, both parents farang, and we're married but with different surnames. We want the baby to have our our hyphenated surname (which we too will have when we return home and have the chance to change it - right now it's just easier to leave it because we both have passports from prior to our marriage).

Is giving the baby a surname that neither of us actually have going to be a problem in Thailand? What's your experience registering a baby's name in Thailand?

If the child is born in hospital just instruct them to record the name in the form you wish, if the object tell them that it is customary for you to record the name in that fashion.

Register the child's name with your embassy in the form you want it.

I don't know what you mean by 'giving the child a surname neither of you actually have' means. If you are referring to hyphenating both your names I can't see a problem.

Best of luck with the birth.

The person that visited me in hospital that came to register my son's birth (2 years ago) told my you can't have hyphenated names in Thailand which is what we wanted (Thai-Farang, though). I believed it at the time (shock of labour and all that) but thinking back, I think I should have pushed the issue, because surely you can? I don't understand why not if you can't.

probably because the concept would be completely alien to thais. they would expect the woman to have her husband's surname.

The Names Act was first discussed in Parliament in 2000 when it passed it's first reading. Basically the law states:

The House of Representatives passed its first reading of an amendment to the Names Act seeking to allow married women to use their maiden names. The proposed amendments would allow married women to choose between their maiden name and their husband's surname. The bill also allows children to take the surname of either parent.

Just checked: the Names Act was changed finally in 2005..

Edited by slimdog

Depends on your nationalities, check with your embassy. Myself and my wife have different surnames, just never got round to changing hers and we are of different nationality - me European here Asian. We gave our son my surname and followed the route to a UK passport which we believe will be better for him in the long term.

probably because the concept would be completely alien to thais. they would expect the woman to have her husband's surname.

The Names Act was first discussed in Parliament in 2000 when it passed it's first reading. Basically the law states:

The House of Representatives passed its first reading of an amendment to the Names Act seeking to allow married women to use their maiden names. The proposed amendments would allow married women to choose between their maiden name and their husband's surname. The bill also allows children to take the surname of either parent.

Just checked: the Names Act was changed finally in 2005..

so what's your point?