Corruption situation improves, says NACC

rooster59

Jamie. The rank has stayed THE SAME other countries have moved places.

That's djjamie logic right there folks.

If any thing the index result should be quite a bit lower so the Junta have plenty of work ahead of them.

With the veiled belittling aside I agree as shown in my reply? Thanks for reinforcing my statement.

2013 results look interesting though...Still thinking of a excuse for that one are we?

Edited by djjamie

What a bloody joke! Ask any foreign dive shop or tour business co-owner in Thailand and they will tell you that it rather is the opposite!!!

Perhaps this he meant when saying "improvement" - more cash for the Mia Nois of Thailand's officials... Well, he got that one right!

Edited by MockingJay

I have to smile at the righteous indignation so many westerners display here.

As a Brit who reads US, Western and Russian "propaganda" news I would suggest that corruption is just as rife in our countries as it is here.

Look at the EU Audit where the auditors refused to sign off more than a 100 billion pounds of spending.

Thailand is just a fumbling child when it comes to ripping off its citizens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11209248/EU-auditors-refuse-to-sign-off-more-than-100billion-of-its-own-spending.html

Three months ago the local TAO let a contract to place sewers along the side of a road for about 600 meters. The cost was five million Baht. The total project probably cost five hundred thousand Baht. Everyone was talking about how corrupt the local officials are. Yesterday a group of soldiers showed up in a Humvee and walked the road and then went to the TAO for meetings. Hopefully they will send the entire lot to jail.

You may need a little help with your math my friend, 500,000 baht ( $14,000. US) likely not even cover the cost for the sewer pipe. Now on top of all that there is insulation costs.

Interesting. An entity that has no afflictions with Thailand or the junta coming out with an independent index as they have done around the world. They have offices in over 100 countries yet since there results do not serve the narrative that some argue so strenuously about they suspect this is a rigid result or they dismiss the results or they belittle the organisation that came about in 1993 because they wanted to stamp out corruption.

I for one am not too impressed with the results though as the Junta came in when the corruption index in Thailand was at a record all time high. The result could not possible go any higher without some very hard work involved. If any thing the index result should be quite a bit lower so the Junta have plenty of work ahead of them.

2013 certainly is no surprise.

FACTS. Gotta love em.

"FACTS. Gotta love em."

Then why do you abuse them?

As I stated in post #7, Thailand's score has remained unchanged and unacceptably low. Just because other countries became more corrupt doesn't mean Thailand is less corrupt.

or they dismiss the results or they belittle the organisation that came about in 1993 because they wanted to stamp out corruption.

Yep OK. Thanks for reinforcing my statement by dismissing the results.

Gotta love facts though even after the excuse you make. Especially the 2013 fact. According to your dismissal all the other countries must have been very very uncorrupt in 2013. A conspiracy against Thailand or an implausible dismissal? I suspect the later.

Take care my friend.

Thanks for reinforcing my statement about abusing facts. Thailand's ratings since 1996:

1995 2.79

1996 3.33

1998 3.06

1999 3.2

2000 3.2

2001 3.2

2002 3.2

2003 3.3

2004 3.6

2005 3.8

2006 3.6

2007 3.3

2009 3.4

2010 3.5

2011 3.4

2012 37

2013 35

2014 38

2015 38

http://www.transparency.org/research/cpi/overview

The trend I see is that corruption was in decline during the Thaksin years, became worse after the 2006 coup, improved a little during Yingluck's administration, and has held steady since the 2014 coup.

"According to your dismissal all the other countries must have been very very uncorrupt in 2013. A conspiracy against Thailand or an implausible dismissal? I suspect the later."

"all the other countries"? You don't understand how statistics work, do you? Or are you just abusing the facts again?

Some countries lost ground against Thailand from 2013 to 2014, going from slightly less corrupt to slightly more corrupt than Thailand. This improved Thailand's relative ranking even though actual corruption remained approximately constant. You don't have to take my word for it, I've given you a link to the source of these facts, you can check them yourself.

The corruption scores I've provided above show Thailand's lack of significant progress under military and elected governments. Considering all the junta's rhetoric about reforms and eliminating corruption, and the unchecked power it has given itself, the lack of improvement in corruption is inexcusable. However considering the junta's appalling score on the subject http://government.defenceindex.org/countries/thailand/ the lack of progress isn't surprising.

Facts, you've got to evaluate them objectively.

Interesting. An entity that has no afflictions with Thailand or the junta coming out with an independent index as they have done around the world. They have offices in over 100 countries yet since there results do not serve the narrative that some argue so strenuously about they suspect this is a rigid result or they dismiss the results or they belittle the organisation that came about in 1993 because they wanted to stamp out corruption.

I for one am not too impressed with the results though as the Junta came in when the corruption index in Thailand was at a record all time high. The result could not possible go any higher without some very hard work involved. If any thing the index result should be quite a bit lower so the Junta have plenty of work ahead of them.

2013 certainly is no surprise.

FACTS. Gotta love em.

"FACTS. Gotta love em."

As I stated in post #7, Thailand's score has remained unchanged and unacceptably low. Just because other countries became more corrupt doesn't mean Thailand is less corrupt.

or they dismiss the results or they belittle the organisation that came about in 1993 because they wanted to stamp out corruption.

Gotta love facts though even after the excuse you make. Especially the 2013 fact. According to your dismissal all the other countries must have been very very uncorrupt in 2013. A conspiracy against Thailand or an implausible dismissal? I suspect the later.

Take care my friend.

Thanks for reinforcing my statement about abusing facts. Thailand's ratings since 1996:

1995 2.79

1996 3.33

1998 3.06

1999 3.2

2000 3.2

2001 3.2

2002 3.2

2003 3.3

2004 3.6

2005 3.8

2006 3.6

2007 3.3

2009 3.4

2010 3.5

2011 3.4

2012 37

2013 35

2014 38

2015 38

The trend I see is that corruption was in decline during the Thaksin years, became worse after the 2006 coup, improved a little during Yingluck's administration, and has held steady since the 2014 coup.

"According to your dismissal all the other countries must have been very very uncorrupt in 2013. A conspiracy against Thailand or an implausible dismissal? I suspect the later."

"all the other countries"? You don't understand how statistics work, do you? Or are you just abusing the facts again?

Some countries lost ground against Thailand from 2013 to 2014, going from slightly less corrupt to slightly more corrupt than Thailand. This improved Thailand's relative ranking even though actual corruption remained approximately constant. You don't have to take my word for it, I've given you a link to the source of these facts, you can check them yourself.

The corruption scores I've provided above show Thailand's lack of significant progress under military and elected governments. Considering all the junta's rhetoric about reforms and eliminating corruption, and the unchecked power it has given itself, the lack of improvement in corruption is inexcusable. However considering the junta's appalling score on the subject http://government.defenceindex.org/countries/thailand/ the lack of progress isn't surprising.

Pretty hard to account for that 2013 fact then heay?

results do not serve the narrative that some argue so strenuously about

​If your comment is not a strenuous rebuttal I don't know what is!!!

​Have a great night my friend.

Edited by djjamie

but but but...2013!

Did you just ignore the rest of heybruce's very informative and factually backed up post?

What am I saying. Of course you did.

But but but, just a coincidence that when the PTP came to power the corruption index went up and when the PTP left power it went down.

The narrative by your peer only indicated to me that strenuous argumentation when results don't go your way reinforce my argument.

No coincidence that when the rice scheme was shown to be one of the most corrupt govt policies in Thai history the index rose to record levels.

What a load of old tosh...

How many are now in prison as a result of their efforts?

How much money have they recovered?

How much money did they actually ... Really recover ?

And from whom?

Prove it...prove anything...

For a start, everything that's happening doesn't necessary show up on Thaivisa.

Yes they report on here when corrupt High profile cops are caught

or the PBS announcer and his 100 million Baht home

There has also been at least one governor recently charges with corruption

Haven't seen anything on here about it

Maybe the NACC are doing their job, just takes time

but but but...2013!

Did you just ignore the rest of heybruce's very informative and factually backed up post?

What am I saying. Of course you did.

But but but, just a coincidence that when the PTP came to power the corruption index went up and when the PTP left power it went down.

The narrative by your peer only indicated to me that strenuous argumentation when results don't go your way reinforce my argument.

No coincidence that when the rice scheme was shown to be one of the most corrupt govt policies in Thai history the index rose to record levels.

Still in denial. The 2014 CPI rating was based on surveys and other data gathered in the middle of 2014, it reflects the situation for the end of 2013 and early 2014 when the PTP was still in power. The rating of 38 was earned by the PTP, all the junta did was hold steady at an unacceptably low level. It promised much more, but no one really believed them.

"FACTS. Gotta love em."

Take care my friend.

1995 2.79

1996 3.33

1998 3.06

1999 3.2

2000 3.2

2001 3.2

2002 3.2

2003 3.3

2004 3.6

2005 3.8

2006 3.6

2007 3.3

2009 3.4

2010 3.5

2011 3.4

2012 37

2013 35

2014 38

2015 38

Pretty hard to account for that 2013 fact then heay?

results do not serve the narrative that some argue so strenuously about

​If your comment is not a strenuous rebuttal I don't know what is!!!

​Have a great night my friend.

How do you account for 2007, 2009, 2011? The years when the military or a military installed government was in power. The only government that seemed to make some small progress against corruption was Thaksin's, but I assume you don't want him back.

The PTP government didn't promise to eliminate corruption, and had they tried to the thoroughly corrupt military would have staged a coup. The junta seized power on a promise of democratic reform and elimination of corruption. Yet corruption stays at the same level as the PTP's final year in power, and democracy is receding into the distance.

So I have data and you have datum. Your reply is a strenuous denial of reality. You need to change your phrase to "Fact. Gotta love it."

I have to smile at the righteous indignation so many westerners display here.

As a Brit who reads US, Western and Russian "propaganda" news I would suggest that corruption is just as rife in our countries as it is here.

Look at the EU Audit where the auditors refused to sign off more than a 100 billion pounds of spending.

Thailand is just a fumbling child when it comes to ripping off its citizens.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11209248/EU-auditors-refuse-to-sign-off-more-than-100billion-of-its-own-spending.html

The Washington Post never comes out with such hilarious headlines though!

"Corruption Improves" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif