THE England thread

rijit

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

well that was bobbins

But  southgates off the mark  with a win.

but yeah it wernt the greatest of spectacles

with  malta not  exactly set up to thrill, 9 men plus keeper behind the ball virtually 100 % of the time

did hart actually have to make a save?

Kerry Dixon:

"I played in an era where there was Paul Mariner, Tony Woodcock, Garry Birtles, Ian Wright, Mick Harford, Brian Stein, Paul Walsh, Clive Allen, Tony Cottee, Gary Lineker, Peter Beardsley, Mark Hateley, Steve Bull, John Fashanu and Trevor Francis. But I scored so many goals during that time that he couldn't ignore me."Now there is a serious serious dearth of strikers. There's Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy, then you are looking at Danny Welbeck, Marcus Rashford and Daniel Sturridge. And Wayne Rooney, but is he a striker now? The competition is not so great."

Fair comment.

9 hours ago, Intensified said:

But  southgates off the mark  with a win.

but yeah it wernt the greatest of spectacles

with  malta not  exactly set up to thrill, 9 men plus keeper behind the ball virtually 100 % of the time

did hart actually have to make a save?

Yeah, a win is a win but sometimes it's the way in which you win. Malta set up to not get embarrassed which is fair enough but we should have been able to split them up and get through much more. It was just really boring for me. Don't know if I'll bother for the mid-week game.

I think I heard Hart snoring at about the 70 minute mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Kerry Dixon:

"I played in an era where there was Paul Mariner, Tony Woodcock, Garry Birtles, Ian Wright, Mick Harford, Brian Stein, Paul Walsh, Clive Allen, Tony Cottee, Gary Lineker, Peter Beardsley, Mark Hateley, Steve Bull, John Fashanu and Trevor Francis. But I scored so many goals during that time that he couldn't ignore me."Now there is a serious serious dearth of strikers. There's Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy, then you are looking at Danny Welbeck, Marcus Rashford and Daniel Sturridge. And Wayne Rooney, but is he a striker now? The competition is not so great."

Fair comment.

well notwithstanding that most of those he's named there were pretty sh*te, what's his point? back then most top flight english teams had maybe one foreign player at most. so of course there were more english options. but mariner, woodcock, birtles, harford, stein, walsh, bull and fashanu wouldn't get near the top level these days, they were average to crap.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah, a win is a win but sometimes it's the way in which you win. Malta set up to not get embarrassed which is fair enough but we should have been able to split them up and get through much more. It was just really boring for me. Don't know if I'll bother for the mid-week game.

I think I heard Hart snoring at about the 70 minute mark

They did have one shot on goal!

30 minutes ago, StevieH said:

well notwithstanding that most of those he's named there were pretty sh*te, what's his point? back then most top flight english teams had maybe one foreign player at most. so of course there were more english options. but mariner, woodcock, birtles, harford, stein, walsh, bull and fashanu wouldn't get near the top level these days, they were average to crap.

Exactly. Hardly a surprise though that the Chelsea criminal is talking sh!t.

I turned the game off after 30 mins alst night, would have rathered watched a Thai soap than that excuse for a football match.

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

Woodcock was a decent player. Got the medals to prove it, too.

Woodcock was a decent player. Got the medals to prove it, too.

Francis as said was the stand out, woodcock went under the radar slightly cos he went off to germany, but THE Most under rated is IMO was walshy, one absolute quality footballer whose ball juggling abilities would workv at the top level today. mariner was no slouch either. The most over rated had to to be fashanu with out a doubt the worst player i have ever seen play for England. Add that to what he contributed to his bro and some semi personal exp's ie an ex's company not a nice company either, had dealings with him, makes him imo one absolute arse hole.

On 09/10/2016 at 5:22 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

^In every players prime, I would have picked Trevor Francis as the pick of the bunch.

did he play for man city by any chance? blimey there's a coincidence.

lineker and beardsley clearly the two best in that list and the only two who could ever be called 'world class'. ian wright very, very good, francis and clive allen both pretty good. woodcock i'll give chicog, he did at least test himself overseas. rest of the list a bunch of yard dogs.

Nice try Smokie. Yer as good as Trump with his deflecting attacks. Confident about Slovakia tonight eh?

Not necessarily a positional swap of course, but even if it is that the better question is why did Southgate play Rooney in as deep a midfield role as Dier would play against a minnow like Malta. Answer, play the percentages and get a result in your early days as manager I guess.

He can take the heat for boring selections for now but will risk a real roasting if he drops points against a team we are 4 and Oh against historically (sorry watching NFL at the mo)

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Stevie, very surprised you don't see Francis on par or better than Quasimodo and Lineker. Very surprised.

he was just never really top top class BB. he was pretty good. did ok at forest, bit of a flop at city, did ok in italy. lineker and beardsley were far, far better than francis. so was ian wright.

2 hours ago, StevieH said:

he was just never really top top class BB. he was pretty good. did ok at forest, bit of a flop at city, did ok in italy. lineker and beardsley were far, far better than francis. so was ian wright.

Better than Lineker?.....have to laugh.....Lineker should have played in a World Cup final.

29 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"bit of a flop at city", spat my coffee out laughing. Next time I see a City fan or speak to a family member I'll mention it ;-)

He was class. City fans remain pissed off he was sold on. A total joy to watch as well.

That's football though, differing opinions.

he was only there for one season and he missed half of that through injury.

^Even more impressive then that he left such an impression on City fans.

I also saw him a lot for Forest as I was a student in Nottingham during their glory days - I was a City season ticket holder so watched City home games and Midlands away games plus Forest or County when I couldn't go to City away games. Francis and Robertson, two great players.

must be the first time in the past 8yrs.that i watched the england match all the 90minutes.

not so boring with a few players doing well.

one player with the ability to beat aponents only to keep giving the ball away, he should have been replaced after 40minutes.the NO 9.

up front should have been ANDY CAROL OR PETER CROUCH.

and also I FORGOT what was i talking about.:facepalm: