THE England thread

rijit

1 hour ago, carmine said:

Sorry to say it but the England implosion has begun right on time.

The momentum has gone. A lost opportunity to fine tune the side, drill the disjointed defense.   Beaten by Belgium's second string, admittedly playing ours but didn't Southgate claim he wanted to win the group?

Way too many changes, they looked hopelessly disjointed....schoolboy stuff from Southgate.

Surely will give a boost to Columbia too, rather than give them a load to think about if we had done a number on Belgium.

So, what is this ridiculous ill informed nonsense that was telling people we would beat any of the sides, either side of the draw?  That attitude ain't doing you any favors either.  More media driven nonsense that probably played a part in Southgate's decision to bottle playing his best side, because they might has slipped up rather than the easy option of going down the B team route.

I would have thought by now the England management and the interfering media would know that you win tournaments by taking the initiative and just going for it rather than mince around the possible softer options!!  This attitude is so f*cking irritating!!!!!!!!!

Crikey ...is your glass always half empty???

Giving "Columbia a boost" by playing there second string.....how does that work then??

55 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Were I Southgate I'd take a good look at how Senegal defended Colombia. I thought Senegal were the better side and down to their defense (save for the towering header from Mina). Also they were very physical (I thought the ref could have handed out a few yellows early) and just about took Cuadrado out of the game.

At any rate England should have a decent chance of getting past Colombia. I would guess James Rodriguez will be questionable as well. It looks like his calf/ankle problem isn't getting any better.

Agreed, i think we can scrap past Columbia that haven't exactly inspired.  Rodrigues does look like he's not going to make it and if he does, he'll be well below par.  

Fortunately though for Columbia our first team has had time to get rusty and the momentums gone, Kane who was on song might have had time to lose his touch as well so it should be a closely run thing.  

Sorry if i sound cynical about England but that how i see it and i don't think our team tactics deserve to get to greater levels.

17 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Crikey ...is your glass always half empty???

Giving "Columbia a boost" by playing there second string.....how does that work then??

Because if our first string had played and won well that really would have given them something to think about.  Did you only read half the post?

And my post was representative of how i see it, not reflective of this absurd sense of entitlement and an over inflated opinion of our strengths.

Just because opinions differ from yours doesn't make them wrong?

And considering England have played well in about two tournaments since '66 in fact positively <deleted> in most others, perhaps my half full glass is far more realistic than the half full ones.

My main irritation stems from all the average sides i've seen so far and knowing this is the one in which we could do really well if we are more positive

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

think carmine is spot on here. england could have played full strength and tried to win the match and qualify with 9 points. didn't, played the backups, looked insipid, lost momentum and now have a record of scraped past tunisia, spanked a pub team and got beat by belgium's second string. it was bad management that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, carmine said:

Because if our first string had played and won well that really would have given them something to think about.  Did you only read half the post?

And my boost was representative of how i see it, not reflective of this absurd sense of entitlement and an over inflated opinion of our strengths.

Just because opinions differ from yours doesn't make them wrong?

That game was a dead rubber right from the off imo.

"Obsurd sense of entitlement and over inflated opinion" where did you get that from?

You got me reaching for that samaritans number. 

Any of our "Star players" out or injured or carded for the next round of games .....no just gathering rust apparently.

I bet Belgium are laughing there socks of at the prospect of possibly playing Brazil....instead of Sweden/Switzerland.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

That game was a dead rubber right from the off imo.

"Obsurd sense of entitlement and over inflated opinion" where did you get that from?

You got me reaching for that samaritans number. 

So exactly how do you come to the conclusion that we are good enough to pick and choose which half of the draw suits us best?  

The sense of entitlement and over inflated opinion has  been present since '66 mate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keithsimmonds said:

Any of our "Star players" out or injured or carded for the next round of games .....no just gathering rust apparently.

I bet Belgium are laughing there socks of at the prospect of possibly playing Brazil....instead of Sweden/Switzerland.

You have the tactical opinion of a fan of a nation that hasn't won a major tournament for 52 years.  

Surely we have, at sometime atleast just got to change this thought process and just go for it?!!

The only way we have the remotest chance is riding our luck with form and momentum in our best side.

5 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

By "star players" i presume you mean Kane.  Well, he'd be much better off playing and if he is on song he'll always offer us a chance, but not on the bench.  We can't spend our time worrying about an injury,  you play your best players.  Screw dead rubbers, its about momentum.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

So exactly how do you come to the conclusion that we are good enough to pick and choose which half of the draw suits us best?  

The sense of entitlement and over inflated opinion has  been present since '66 mate.

absolutely right, and this is why people don't like england. the arrogance of thinking you can pick and choose your half of the draw and that you're somehow by default better than japan, colombia, switzerland or sweden. got knocked out by iceland last tournament for <deleted>'s sake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StevieH said:

absolutely right, and this is why people don't like england. the arrogance of thinking you can pick and choose your half of the draw and that you're somehow by default better than japan, colombia, switzerland or sweden. got knocked out by iceland last tournament for <deleted>'s sake.

I don't really fancy us playing either of those any more than i do Brazil.  Either way,  our best way is go for it, head on and with our best side.  If lady luck blesses us we won't get serious injuries and anyone has a shout in this tournament but there has to be a big change in Southgate's attitude but i doubt there will be.

btw Stevie, the Iceland things has been long erased and replaced with 1966 and we are again elite and will swot aside the likes of Japan, Sweden and so on, regardless of the fact we've been <deleted> since 1996!!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, carmine said:

Did you not read my posts???

Where did i say we could pick and choose our opponents.??

All I read into this is England missed a clear opportunity to face an easy Japan side and now will have to negotiate a much more wily and tough South American team.

Forget the Swiss or Swedes for now....this last 16 game will be very tough indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

think carmine is spot on here. england could have played full strength and tried to win the match and qualify with 9 points. didn't, played the backups, looked insipid, lost momentum and now have a record of scraped past tunisia, spanked a pub team and got beat by belgium's second string. it was bad management that.

So how many games do you think top players can play in a short spell without getting knackered ? the Columbia game will be their 4th game in 15 days of course they needed a rest, plus what we have happened if our only world class player had got injured ?  the squad players needed match time in case they are needed.Incidently  your one of the first to moan when Liverpool have a fixture congestion !!!

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

So how many games do you think top players can play in a short spell without getting knackered ? the Columbia game will be their 4th game in 15 days of course they needed a rest, plus what we have happened if our only world class player had got injured ?  the squad players needed match time in case they are needed.Incidently  your one of the first to moan when Liverpool have a fixture congestion !!!

You've nailed it Alfredo....Southgate's soldiers will be well rested and can go over the top with full confidence!

In fact if they negotiate the next tricky game they should indeed reach the semis at least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

All I read into this is England missed a clear opportunity to face an easy Japan side and now will have to negotiate a much more wily and tough South American team.

Forget the Swiss or Swedes for now....this last 16 game will be very tough indeed.

There are not any real standouts this tournament, maybe Croatia, on the balance of play.  Does it really matter who we play?  Are France, Argentina playing well?  Brazil very reliant on Neymar.  Spain have struggled........Anyone on form can win this tournament with a bit of luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RonniePickering22 said:

You've nailed it Alfredo....Southgate's soldiers will be well rested and can go over the top with full confidence!

In fact if they negotiate the next tricky game they should indeed reach the semis at least.

Why "should" they?

Edited by carmine

Just now, carmine said:

Why should they?

Because England will create more chances than either Sweden or Switzerland....England definitely have a potent attack....defensively they are cack of course.

I'm quietly confident here. :biggrin: :licklips:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Because England will create more chances than either Sweden or Switzerland....England definitely have a potent attack....defensively they are cack of course.

I'm quietly confident here. :biggrin: :licklips:

Columbia have been far from impressive so far. I think its Peckerman in charge of them isn't it?  Well he doesn't seem to have much of a grip on things....

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

Columbia have been far from impressive so far. I think its Peckerman in charge of them isn't it?  Well he doesn't seem to have much of a grip on things....

There see your confidence is returning already.

I'm looking forward the the semi final! :cheesy:

10 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Tactically it was foolhardy to play Vardy at all against a team not playing a high pressing game....he's useless against deep defensive lines really.

It seemed like they thought Kane was still playing and kept floating balls up to him which he werent gonna win in a million years. I felt a bit for him as he run his socks off but as you say just wasn’t his type of game. 

8 hours ago, StevieH said:

henderson is about the most underrated player in the game right now. he helps the defence and his vertical passing is excellent. he's vital to this england team.

...as seen through liverpool eyes. Wouldn't want him at City, but can agree that he's vital to England in that role as there's no one else to play it (sad reflection on England's central midfielders).

22 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Sorry about that...had to take the wife to work in downtown Patts...then go and get me plums massaged by the girl with the longest legs i have ever seen......just to cheer myself up are reading your depressing and negative posts.

My glass is always half full.

OK, so thats what you were insinuating!! Like i said Keith, you need to get over this feeling of entitlement and back up your argument with something that doesn't ring out as absurdly stupid.  If you can't beat Iceland what the f8ck does it matter who you play!!

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

...as seen through liverpool eyes. Wouldn't want him at City, but can agree that he's vital to England in that role as there's no one else to play it (sad reflection on England's central midfielders).

Why would you want him at City when your owners finances give you access to buying the best players in the world, whatever the cost!!!   

3 hours ago, carmine said:

By "star players" i presume you mean Kane.  Well, he'd be much better off playing and if he is on song he'll always offer us a chance, but not on the bench.  We can't spend our time worrying about an injury,  you play your best players.  Screw dead rubbers, its about momentum.

...and if Kane had played and got injured or red carded and out of the next game? I don't think Kane would have lost anything by not playing and would have benefited from a rest.