THE England thread

rijit

3 minutes ago, carmine said:

OK, so thats what you were insinuating!! Like i said Keith, you need to get over this feeling of entitlement and back up your argument with something that doesn't ring out as absurdly stupid.  If you can't beat Iceland what the f8ck does it matter who you play!!

Where do you get that from..what feeling of "entitlement"??

This is the 2018 World Cup ....why do you keep going on about Iceland,and 1966.

5 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

...and if Kane had played and got injured or red carded and out of the next game? I don't think Kane would have lost anything by not playing and would have benefited from a rest. 

Its a chance you have to take if you want to win something. Simple as that.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

Why would you want him at City when your owners finances give you access to buying the best players in the world, whatever the cost!!!   

The obvious point you missed was that i don't rate Henderson.

City's owners don't buy "whatever the cost" otherwise Mahrez would have been ours last transfer window and the boy from Napoli would be enjoying the delights of the Arndale. If you wish to respond please copy and paste to the City thread na khrap for further discussion. 

Our reserves or second string lost to Belgium's reserves/second string ....Fact.

The rest is a bunch of what ifs...had we of played a full strength side against there reserves etc etc etc

We now have an extra days rest and training and we are in a position (playing last) to see every other contender strutt there stuff and we will see what is required....that to me is all good positive news Imho

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

The obvious point you missed was that i don't rate Henderson.

City's owners don't buy "whatever the cost" otherwise Mahrez would have been ours last transfer window and the boy from Napoli would be enjoying the delights of the Arndale. If you wish to respond please copy and paste to the City thread na khrap for further discussion. 

You always seem to feel the need to throw in the line of "i wouldn't want him at City" though don't you which is completely irrelevant to this thread and irrelevant to the EPL in general when City enter the transfer market or negotiate a players personal terms.  

Just now, keithsimmonds said:

Our reserves or second string lost to Belgium's reserves/second string ....Fact.

The rest is a bunch of what ifs...had we of played a full strength side against there reserves etc etc etc

We now have an extra days rest and training and we are in a position (playing last) to see every other contender strutt there stuff and we will see what is required....that to me is all good positive news Imho

Fine, its your opinion.  My opinion differs, i think they are fit enough and we are better off keeping the side together and playing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carmine said:

You always seem to feel the need to throw in the line of "i wouldn't want him at City" though don't you which is completely irrelevant to this thread and irrelevant to the EPL in general when City enter the transfer market or negotiate a players personal terms.  

I'll make it easier for you to understand then

...i...don't...rate...him

4 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Nope, for once i find myself agreeing with Alfie's earlier post...nurse!

Perhaps the Argentines should have wrapped Maradona and left him on the bench.  Do you think they would have won the cup?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

Perhaps the Argentines should have wrapped Maradona and left him on the bench.  Do you think they would have won the cup?

Not sure which game you are referring to but judging by Maradona's appearance i doubt he would last 15 minutes ?

We couldn't win or lose the world cup last night so your point about Argentina is irrelevant. 

7 hours ago, carmine said:

How easy was that!

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Clearly difficult for you as i had to post 3 times.

Dislexia is common in older folks BB......have a little understanding please :jap:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Because England will create more chances than either Sweden or Switzerland....England definitely have a potent attack....defensively they are cack of course.

I'm quietly confident here. :biggrin: :licklips:

I don't think they are bad defensively.  

Attack (minus Kane) is a problem.

41 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I don't think they are bad defensively.  

Attack (minus Kane) is a problem.

What !!!!!!  have you been watching the games with your eyes closed ?  name me one defender who is close to World Class.

Edited by alfieconn

Completely wrong tactics by Southgate , and I mean it. You had a great chance of beating Belgium with Kane and the best players available , then easy ride to the quarter final by beating Japan . 

Instead you choose to face Colombia , one of the best South American teams. Anything can happen in a football match . Colombia can win it and Southgate will forever be remembered as the man who not only missed a penalty in the WC , but also did not have balls enough to pick the best squad and try to win every game. 

And FYI , if you think facing Sweden in a quarter final will be an easy ride , think again . They are better than Iceland , and you know what happened last time you played in a big tournamement.

It would be better for England to lose to Brazil in a quarter final  , if they are the best team and you did your best , then I think everyone would be happy about the performance. 

So this is a big gamble .

If it pays off then everything will be forgiven . If not , well......:post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

Completely wrong tactics by Southgate , and I mean it. You had a great chance of beating Belgium with Kane and the best players available , then easy ride to the quarter final by beating Japan . 

Instead you choose to face Colombia , one of the best South American teams. Anything can happen in a football match . Colombia can win it and Southgate will forever be remembered as the man who not only missed a penalty in the WC , but also did not have balls enough to pick the best squad and try to win every game. 

And FYI , if you think facing Sweden in a quarter final will be an easy ride , think again . They are better than Iceland , and you know what happened last time you played in a big tournamement.

It would be better for England to lose to Brazil in a quarter final  , if they are the best team and you did your best , then I think everyone would be happy about the performance. 

If it pays off then everything will be forgiven . If not , well......:post-4641-1156693976:

Yes, but first and foremost, Belgium are a better football team than England. Ultimately, they decided not to throw the match.

Some of our players probably needed a rest, and definitely the second string players needed practice.

Belgium decided early on to field a 'B' team, and the general situation for both teams was strange, peculiar, odd... it was just a bizarre situation, where by the winner effectively lost in terms of logistics, time, and possibly their path to the quarter finals.

But to see this in terms of arrogance, or whatever obselete wagon people want to hitch to England is wrong.

That said, I kind of agree that England should have changed nothing- it doesn't suit us to do anything other than our best.

Nobody thinks Sweden in a QF would be an easy ride, just more do-able than Brazil.  Who would Sweden prefer to face, do you think?

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

Can you imagine the stick that Southgate would have got had he put out his strongest side in a dead rubber only for one of them to pick up an injury ahead of the knockout stages?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, balo said:

Remind me how England chose to face Columbia.

If it wasn,t for "Bambi on ice"(Rasford) wasting a sitter there would not have been 3 pages of complete crap on here bemoaning Englands B team not beating Belgiums B team. 

"Our" hopes of progressing further rely heavily on Henderson and his ability to link the back 3 to the front 3/6 a job he has done to perfection so far imho..and i for one am greatful that he along with Kane Ali and others got a much needed rest.

Edited by keithsimmonds
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Can you imagine the stick that Southgate would have got had he put out his strongest side in a dead rubber only for one of them to pick up an injury ahead of the knockout stages?

You can double the stick he will get if England lose to Colombia , Sweden/Switzerland.   He will be raped by the tabloids. 

Edited by balo

It's a world cup so any team in the last 16 will be tough.

We got beat marginally and the rest our top tier had will be vital. There are no excuses and Colombia is the kind of challenge we need and the players will be up for.

If we come through against the cartel whowever we get in the qtr is getting dealt with too.

1 hour ago, balo said:

You can double the stick he will get if England lose to Colombia , Sweden/Switzerland.   He will be raped by the tabloids. 

Look...for your own reasons you may want England to lose.  I personally think England should have stuck to their brave, new approach.  This was a step back to the fearful days imo.

But the simple explanation is that this was a weird set of circumstances that nobody knew how to handle, because factors are much more propitious for the losing team.

Do you think Colombia want to play England or Belgium?

And Sweden/Switzerland?  Would they prefer England or Brazil?

Colombia, Sweden, Switzerland, and England are weaker teams, of course they would prefer a bit of luck along the way.  Can you really blame England for not being that bothered?

We'll see and good luck from me , as a Norwegian I am neutral here, but being a Spurs supporter I want Kane and the rest of his mates to do well.

I am just a fan of good attractive football and we did not see much of that last night, it's time for England  to show the world what they're made of. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I didn't say anything about being world class!

I said I do not think they are bad defensively!

At this stage of the tournament theres room for improvement.  Through fear of being too negative for Keith i'll leave it at that.  Fortunately we look like we will score goals because we'll certainly concede them, and we've yet to face anything approaching a world class striker and quality attacking three.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carmine said:

At this stage of the tournament theres room for improvement.  Through fear of being too negative for Keith i'll leave it at that.  Fortunately we look like we will score goals because we'll certainly concede them, and we've yet to face anything approaching a world class striker and quality attacking three.

Its astonishing that England might make it to the semi final of a world cup without facing that....incredible really.