so many drunk men around of morning

opalred

the wife and i go for bike ride every morning

i a,m amazed how many thai men are still drunk drinking whisky at 7am

there motor bike there to ride home

we ride through small and large villages and small shops every where still selling them whisky

i tell my wife you see why you have to take care driving all hrs of day

i am a drinker every afternoon for 55yrs but never been that crazy

now see why so many killed on roads

safe driving cheers

How is being drunk at 7am any different than being drunk at any other time of the day?

Possibly because work begins at 8 am here and it is clear that these Thai gentlemen are not going to said work.

However, it may be his day off and he has been on the piss all night. (done it myself)

If however the op sees the same people pissed every morning, then yes, that is a concern. For whom I have no idea, nor do I give a <deleted>.

If he/she is drunk and it's not affecting me or mine, then so be it. More power to them I say. They clearly don't care, so I think the OP shouldn't either.

post-128837-0-59044100-1459082335_thumb.

How is being drunk at 7am any different than being drunk at any other time of the day?

Possibly because work begins at 8 am here and it is clear that these Thai gentlemen are not going to said work.

However, it may be his day off and he has been on the piss all night. (done it myself)

If however the op sees the same people pissed every morning, then yes, that is a concern. For whom I have no idea, nor do I give a <deleted>.

If he/she is drunk and it's not affecting me or mine, then so be it. More power to them I say. They clearly don't care, so I think the OP shouldn't either.

So work only begins at 8am in Thailand. No afternoon or nightshift here like in most of countries of the world. So the Japanese company my wife works for in Thailand which is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week, I guess they only have one 24 shift. Or maybe the folks at 711 start at 8 and work forever.

Really dude.

I think the OP's point is that there are quite a few leftover drunks from "the night before" driving home and mingling with those on their morning commute or school run. Therefore be extra careful out there.

I've witnessed the same on the roads. There are more obvious drunks on the roads in the first hour of daylight than two or three hours after sunrise. Those that are driving home drunk at that hour, you can be pretty sure they've been on it all night.

OP, pay no attention to the snarky, passive aggressive replies. What you observed IS most definitely a serious problem in Thailand, and everyone knows it, even if they feel they have to play smart-ass, nonchalant and flippant in their replies.

When I lived in a village in Ayutthya province some years ago, I estimated that at least 40% of the drivers on the road were drunk by 10 am. This included the village school bus driver, who, after dropping the kids off in the morning, sat in the local open-air bar/restaurant/convenience store (it's what this particular village bought with the 1 million baht Thaksin handed out to every village in Thailand in the early 2000s) and drank Thai whiskey. After drinking all day, he would then get back in the bus (van) to pick up the kids in the afternoon...

Oddly enough I bumped into an old Thailand pal of mine this weekend totally unexpectedly.

We had a good drink in Manchester, where it was a lot colder than when we last had a drink together, and a reminisce about some of our all night sessions in Thailand when we'd often emerge blinking drunkenly into the stark dawn light both ruing the fact that we are both temporarily in 'exile'.

Most of the time we'd be in Pattaya and scarcely get a second look but we recalled one memorable occasion in Bang Na when we 'went through the clock' one Sunday night emerging bleary eyed and somewhat shame faced through the early morning crowds of commuters all off to earn an honest crust. I got some grief off the missus for that one....

Not everyone works regular hours.

Most regular drunks don't work at all.

Well, many people with regular jobs seem to enjoy a drink... It's yesterday news that a co-pilot in Canada has been arrested just before take-off because heavily intoxicated... In my old town, doctors and surgeons were rumoured to be daily under the influence, and there was at least a very famous politician who was a well known alcoholic.

The quality of booze may be different, but abuse of alcohol is trendy for the poor and the rich, evil poison at a fair price.

....still, the rabid moralists are the worst of the lot..

.. i feel so saddened, that i must have another one.

Alcohol abuse in Thailand is huge. Just look at all those restaurants, karokes, and bamboo bars that abound and are full of people in the evening. And that is the civilized part! When we moved 20 miles north out of Chiang Mai, I was astounded by how much the locals drink. It was quite common to meet someone at 9 AM totally wasted and barely able to cope. When we built our house, our excellent crew drank virtually every night of the week, but they were light drinkers compared to most of the upcountry folks.

Alcohol abuse in Thailand is huge. Just look at all those restaurants, karokes, and bamboo bars that abound and are full of people in the evening. And that is the civilized part! When we moved 20 miles north out of Chiang Mai, I was astounded by how much the locals drink. It was quite common to meet someone at 9 AM totally wasted and barely able to cope. When we built our house, our excellent crew drank virtually every night of the week, but they were light drinkers compared to most of the upcountry folks.

I am sure you are correct.

Have you taken a glance at the totally "wasted" ex-pat population of drinkers recently, it is not a pretty sight !

I am sure you are correct.

Have you taken a glance at the totally "wasted" ex-pat population of drinkers recently, it is not a pretty sight !

No, but I read their posts on TFV daily, they use terms like "on the piss". For some, spending the night drinking alcohol IS the activity, not having a few at an activity. Big differnce.

Hello OP,

People can drink anytime they choose....... it's called freedom to enjoy one's life and possessions.

A reason why most foreigners are are here........... to escape intolerance and nosey parkers.

As for the drink driving...... go talk to the authorities and let us know how you got on.smile.png

OP, pay no attention to the snarky, passive aggressive replies. What you observed IS most definitely a serious problem in Thailand, and everyone knows it, even if they feel they have to play smart-ass, nonchalant and flippant in their replies.

When I lived in a village in Ayutthya province some years ago, I estimated that at least 40% of the drivers on the road were drunk by 10 am. This included the village school bus driver, who, after dropping the kids off in the morning, sat in the local open-air bar/restaurant/convenience store (it's what this particular village bought with the 1 million baht Thaksin handed out to every village in Thailand in the early 2000s) and drank Thai whiskey. After drinking all day, he would then get back in the bus (van) to pick up the kids in the afternoon...

Quite correct,most of the people drinking are poor rural folk who work the land or are on their way to construction jobs they start the day with a shot of see sip and continue to take a shot thorough the day.

I have spent many years in a rural setting frequenting mom and pop shops and local markets week in week out having a beer with fellow expats,you can set your watch with some of the people who come in to get their fix.

Mundane rural village life,backbreaking work and crap wages = alcoholism.

55yrs having a beer after work or retirementi expect to be doing same next 55yrs

i dont take any tabs or meds sleep sound every night

ride bike20ks swim walk machine every day

ha ha ha can the knockers do that cheers