Restaurants near Loi Kroh Rd area.

jonesyb

Hey. I am meeting some friends from England tomorrow night and we are going to visit a restaurant. I have been tasked with picking it. They are staying near

Loi Kroh Rd. Can you recommend something in that general side of the city? I think Thai food is what everyone wants. I don't know that area of town at all. Trip Advisor isn't helping me much. Thank you. x

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking distance to Riverside of Good View on the river, River Market for Thai Fusion food, Whole Earth (River Market and Whole Earth getting pricey, but still very affordable by western standards).

Or on Loi Kroh, you've got @The Teak - not sure of cost, never been.

Edited by naboo

Hey but gecko caters to western palettes...but a cool liitle vibe in the vines nevertheless

They have a complete Thai menu also. It is kitty corner from the Imperial Ping. On the South side of the road as you are heading away from the South East corner of the moat towards the river. One block before you hit the Night Bazaar.

You can't go wrong with The Riverside. (Or the Good View next door) You may need to get a tuk tuk there but it's not far.

On Loy Kroh itself the only place that looks like a proper restaurant is The Teak, but i've never been due to the touristy vibe.

Ignore comments about Gecko garden; they're joking. It's got its merits, but really not any kind of nice place to take anyone to for a nice dinner.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Many of you are confusing 'Riverside' with 'River Market'

Riverside is one bridge along from Loi Krow, and is the Thai restaurant all Thais love to eat at, always extremely crowded, live Thai rock band.

River Market (part of The Dukes), the closest bridge to Loi Krow is Thai fusion food, and not all that good, incredibly expensive.

Good View (next to Riverside), the food is awful, often cold, often the wrong items delivered to your table and overpriced.

Edited by BritManToo

I second the Riverside. Try checking out Lemongrass Thai Resto too in that area as their Thai dishes are also delicious.

For Thai food, Lemongrass is probably a better bet. They seem to get a lot of Thai custom.

And when your friends are ready for some good western food in an upscale environment, go to Le Meridien Hotel. They're running a special promotion for the month of March on their international dinner buffet, 6 - 9 pm at Latest Recipe restaurant on Level 1, just off the Lobby. Groups of 4 or more enjoy a 50% discount, so the bill will be 350 baht (net) per person. They're requesting reservations at 053 253 666.

I second the Riverside. Try checking out Lemongrass Thai Resto too in that area as their Thai dishes are also delicious.

For Thai food, Lemongrass is probably a better bet. They seem to get a lot of Thai custom.

I walked past there a couple times as I'm always on the lookout for good places around the Night Bazar. (a surprisingly challenging area for Thai restaurants actually) It tends to be full with backpackery types, probably there because of the TripAdvisor ranking which is very high.

But the place is cramped, hot (no aircon) and not particularly cheap. I just can't see going for a nice dinner there when you got spacious nice 'old Chiang Mai' kind of options in the Riverside, with a view and the breeze in your hair.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Number one Bar on Soi one ,just 50 meters off L.K.R .,has excellent Western and Thai food in a nice clean building .(unlike Gecko ) ..Belgian owned with many Continental beers available .

Edited by anto

We went to Whole Earth. I can not fault it at all. I thought the food was superb. The location is beautiful. Perfect surroundings to place a group of people in who have just arrived from the UK and want somewhere to have a nice relaxing evening.

Number one Bar on Soi one ,just 50 meters off L.K.R .,has excellent Western and Thai food in a nice clean building .(unlike Gecko ) ..Belgian owned with many Continental beers available .

You take your friends to a 'hooker bar'?

Its not a Hooker bar .I often take my Wife and daughter there .

Not seedy. Nothing wrong with the ambiance, service or menu. Often see groups of older Farang couples and others resembling tourists having their evening glass of sherry at Number 1. The girls don't bite, or demand lady drinks. In fact the place is to be recommended.

It is surprising however poster "anto" had no idea that at least some of the ladies there are available for "take away", as has been the case for years.

I hear it is open until somewhat past midnight but not sure about that as well.

Edited by arunsakda