Strange incident with tourist police...visa cancelled?

HI,

I came across what seems like a scam attempt. Motorbike rental asking for 14k for damage around the bottom. Tourist police involved...suggested best to pay 10k. I have lots of time that day so I'm not eager to give in until I think my options.

At some point the tourist police says "you lose passport" to which I reply "no I didnt lose it, its in my bag". I check its there. I'm confused he and the other policeman are looking at my passport. Soon later police hand me back the passport, and I seem to be on my way losing only the deposit.

As we are parting, he says "you lose passport, I can help you with new passport". ..He was very friendly shakes my hands tells me where his office is if I need help. This is very confusing to me why this is relevant. But I was misinterpreting him...

5 days later I'm leaving the country and check the passport to see if everything is in order and realize there is a red stamp "cancelled" on the visa!

So it appears I completely misunderstood the situation. When he said "you lose passport" he wasn't asking if I lost it, he was suggesting he would cancel my visa if I didnt pay. but I didnt understand his english so I handed him the passport. Then when he said he can help me get new passport I think he might have been fishing for some sort of bribe for his assistance in clearing my name.

When I exited the country the immigration people didnt seem to recognize / care about the stamp. that part of the passport wasnt scanned to my knowledge...very uneventful.

I have no idea what this all means. I wasnt arrested or deported. I wasnt taken to the station. I have a smallish red "cancelled" stamp on the visa that might raise questions in the future, but Im due for replacement anyway. He obviously didnt scan it into the system at the scene. I'm not even sure they wrote down my details.

I'm wondering what it means or future travel. Does this person have any authority on this type of thing? Seems doubtful he can have me entered in the systems / prevent me from getting future visas based on his discretion to pull a stamp from the dollar store out of his pocket? I think the stamping was to make me think I needed his help ($$) to get another visa.

What would be the strategy if I ever plan to return to avoid a wasted trip? I guess I could just get a visa from thai embassy near me and take my chances, but if I have checked luggage and they send me home...can I even get the luggage? its on the other side of immigration...

Edited by flippp
  • Like 2

Rubbish !

The visa was "cancelled" the moment you used it to enter the country .

Pure hyperbole and/or paranoia !

It wasnt stamped at the border by immigration if thats what you mean...the officer definitely stamped it. I had check into many hotels and would have noticed it before then i it was stamped on my second entry.

Edited by flippp

Rubbish !

It wasnt stamped at the border by immigration if thats what you mean...the officer definitely stamped it. I had check into many hotels and would have noticed it before then i it was stamped on my second entry.

The visa was "used" (cancelled) and of no further use once it was used to enter the country.

If you had a double entry visa (or even triple) you will have noted the marks made by immigration on the visa indicating the number of entries made. ( ie progressive cancellation )

It was the "permission to stay" stamp which was given on entry which allowed your stay (have a look in your passport)

They say Cambodia is a good place to visit .

Edited by johnatong

What kind of visa was it?

How many entries allowed?

If multiple, how many used?

Mac

double entry both used. I was 30 days into the second entry.

The tourist police did seem like he tried to invalidate entitled stay on my second entry. he scratched out my laos entry stamp but the laos exit stamp was hidden on another page so it wasnt scratched out. Immigration was going to fine me overstay. The girl saw the scratch on the Laos entry stamp and assumed it was cancelled/invalid until she found the clean Laos exit stamp several minutes later.

• Like 1

Rubbish !

The visa was "used" (cancelled) and of no further use once it was used to enter the country.

If you had a double entry visa (or even triple) you will have noted the marks made by immigration on the visa indicating the number of entries made. ( ie progressive cancellation )

It was the "permission to stay" stamp which was given on entry which allowed your stay (have a look in your passport)

My stamps are different than ones ive gotten before. Usually I get a "used" stamp which I didnt get this time. Both entries are marked at the bottom of my visa with dates. but there is no "permission to stay" stamp for the second entry.

Edited by flippp

Rubbish !

My stamps are different than ones ive gotten before. Usually I get a "used" stamp which I didnt get this time. Both entries are marked at the bottom of my visa with dates. but there is no "permission to stay" stamp for the second entry.

Nonsense

There is an entry stamp for the second entry and a date by which you had to leave

• Like 1

What kind of visa was it?

How many entries allowed?

If multiple, how many used?

Mac

double entry both used. I was 30 days into the second entry.

The tourist police did seem like he tried to invalidate entitled stay on my second entry. he scratched out my laos entry stamp but the laos exit stamp was hidden on another page so it wasnt scratched out. Immigration was going to fine me overstay. The girl saw the scratch on the Laos entry stamp and assumed it was cancelled/invalid until she found the clean Laos exit stamp several minutes later.

What has a Laos stamp got to do with being in Thailand ?

Are you now trying to claim the police deliberately damaged the passport by "scratching" out a Laos stamp in addition to "cancelling" your visa ?

This begins to assume all the hallmarks of a troll topic.

apparently it mattered as the immigration officer was going to fine me overstay based on that laos stamp. I pointed to the Laos stamp and said "see I went ot Laos same day" she replied "but but its scratched out so cancelled". I didnt think it should matter but she couldnt conclude that I actually left the country and came back. I would have thought the entry indicated on my visa would be enough but she ws convinced until she found the other stamp.

I know the police stamped it, I heard him do it but didnt realize what he as doing. I dont know who scratched out my laos stamps. It seems possible he tried to put me into immediate overstay by making stamps appear canceled

This time there wasnt a stamp saying ho long I could stay, immigration couldnt find it when I exited either. I thought a page was torn out but they are all there...I just didnt get that entry stamp...so she had to look for entry exit stamps to piece it together. ITs a manual process Im sure stamps are forgotten from time to time

even the airline looked at my visa and thought i as in overstay because they couldnt find the stamp for my second entry

Edited by flippp

I have heard of people having the wrong date stamped on their entry into Thailand (I always check it has been done correctly) but never the lack of any entry stamp at all. To be honest, I can understand the skepticism of some members at your account. Not only was there no entry stamp, but the visa was not stamped used. The only logical explanation I can think of is that you returned to Thailand without going through immigration on the Thai side. This has been known to happen, but you should remember if you did that.

Do you happen to remember if your Departure card, which you should have received when you last entered Thailand, and which you should have shown to Thai Immigration on your departure, had a "Admitted Until" date written in?

Mac

I found the entry stamp it is on page 9, next to my Lao exit stamp. My visa is on page 17, thai exit on page 16, and Lao entry on page 19 so they were all over the place.

still no "used" stamp. the visa is crossed out with what looks like the same pen as thai immigration used on the entry stamp.

The Lao stamp wasnt tampered with, it just has a strange signature that loooks like its crossed out.

So the only thing strange is the cancelled stamp instead of a used stamp

cancelled or used stamps are easy to get.

Tourist and normal police are not allowed to make any changes in your passport.

Better post some pics first before everyone loses their time over this.

has anyone really seen a cancelled stamp? I googled and cant find any mention of it used in thailand.

I didnt say I thought tourist police carry stamps or were allowed to alter passports...My reaction is that it didnt seem legit. It doesnt mean one cant do it to put a scare into a tourist.

I guess I cant say for sure where the cancelled stamp came from, but It doesnt sound like I should be too worried about it.

This time there wasnt a stamp saying ho long I could stay, immigration couldnt find it when I exited either. I thought a page was torn out but they are all there...I just didnt get that entry stamp...so she had to look for entry exit stamps to piece it together. ITs a manual process Im sure stamps are forgotten from time to time

even the airline looked at my visa and thought i as in overstay because they couldnt find the stamp for my second entry

The airline cares less if you are on overstay

The airline cares less if you are on overstay

Actually, they might if you are flying to Laos. There are reports that the airlines have been told to refuse boarding to passengers with overstay.

So the only thing strange is the cancelled stamp instead of a used stamp

Please post a copy of it so that I may be able to understand exactly what you mean. Then I can look through my pasports to see if I ever got the same stamp.

• Like 1

Rubbish !

"but there is no "permission to stay" stamp for the second entry."

Then how would anyone know how long you're permitted to be in the country. You are legally in country based on the permission to stay granted when you enter the country. If you had a double entry tourist visa (which are no longer issued) and entered twice, then the visa was finished and irrelevant. Absent a permission to stay or extension of stay, you would be in the country illegally.

You seem to be rather confused about a lot of things.