Personal details of hundreds of foreigners in Thailand leaked online

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

perhaps a class action by all living in the southern provinces which were definitely there not just Nakorn si Thamarat to sue the immigration department for breach of trust and public disclosure of private information and public endangerment in a terrorist zone will assist them in becoming less blasé with aliens data

and theyll drag it thru the court for 10 years before all complainants are found guilty...............Thailand land of the free land of the brave land of the effin moronic

One thing I haven't seen made clear in any of this:

Was this little project just the brainchild of the wild hair Immigration commander in the South and it was meant to only cover the South?

Or, is this part of some broader project that the national Immigration folks are undertaking to develop this kind of tracking database nationwide?

You'd think, some of the reporters pursuing this story might have asked that question.

It was mentioned before that any Thaivisa users who innocently clicked on that site to look at it as it was posted about multiple times last night may be subject to legal issues. Is that really a concern?

I mentioned that as a concern. Probably not a big concern but they may be digging through the IP records of who accessed it to find the original source of the hack. Forgot to turn my VPN on before looking and before knowing what was going on. biggrin.png

Isn't the use of a VPN illegal in Thailand as well?

No - only the misuse of it to by pass officially blocked sites or commit crimes like hacking into data bases at immigration.

Tricky one. If you use a VPN to access a website, how would you know that you're committing a crime by accessing a site officially blocked by the Thai Govt?

Was this little project just the brainchild of the wild hair Immigration commander in the South and it was meant to only cover the South?

Or, is this part of some broader project that the national Immigration folks are undertaking to develop this kind of tracking database nationwide?

You'd think, some of the reporters pursuing this story might have asked that question.

It's the first phase of a complex project. This was the trial of Phase One.

I cannot disclose too much about the project, but Phase Four includes inserting a microchip under the traveller's skin, so that when he moves around Thailand that map becomes interactive.

Just like GPS and Google Maps in your car.

Edited by lkv

I cannot disclose too much about the project, but Phase Four includes inserting a microchip under the traveller's skin, so that when he moves around Thailand that map becomes interactive.

Is that meant to be funny ?

The thread is about a serious issue which some clearly have a problem comprehending.

Is that meant to be funny ?

The thread is about a serious issue which some clearly have a problem comprehending.

Yeah, it was meant to be funny. You're too tensed.

Guys which part of:-

IMPORTANT NOTE - If you discover any more locations with personal data please don't post them here, we don't want to re-publish sensitive personal information.

is not understood?

Yes, that includes linking to sites which have these links.

Further transgressions will be removed without notice, holidays await repeat offenders.

Remember this is information that can lead to identity theft or worse.

All the details can be used by Terrorist groups to make false passports as all the details are there for everyone to see. I think someone needs to do something fast as this could lead to another Paris or Brussels or even Boston.

this is illegal, this kintra is turning out to be crap!! ooe personal records are now exposed tae criminals an other devious !!!!, congratulations!

a gave ring tae the embassy today and tha answer eeven suprised me mair than this, "sorry sir thers naething we can do"

I have no idea about which Embassy is yours or who you spoke to.

My Embassy was contacted via their "Urgent Assistance" number and they were Very interested

His embassy probably couldn't understand him when he spoke.

And I thought they only knew how to log in to Facebook.

Judging by the security breaches on their site, experimental or not, i see no reason to assume anything else..........................rolleyes.gif

Edited by chrisinth

Everything you do in Thailand requires copy of passport, home address etc, so whats the panic about???

HMMMM.......Big mafia boss looks at say, offshore oil workers, who unlike many retirees is still drawing a decent salary & sends his minions out on a robbing spree to those addresses?

What could go wrong?

Everything you do in Thailand requires copy of passport, home address etc, so whats the panic about???

Including bank account details. This is the part I am worried about. We have no ideas what, where and who has access to our personal information, how it can be used and where it might turn up. This data can be sold on and have no clues how we can protect ourselves against this.

if you are from a country in South America or Africa, just google for your full name and address, or full name and passport. you will find the links to the government where all the data is available publicly.

thats how I found mine, I google for my address to find the postcode, and I found my name and passport! I was like w t f? that's crazy!

and all my flights details, and all my previous adresses.

I email several government agencies regarding this issue. not a single reply! as expected. well TiT

I wonder how the Israeli embassy feels about passport details of their citizens in TH being given to a random website developer from Yala, .... You couldn't make this stuff up !!!

Edited by lemonjelly

Why you wolly so much? What is the plobleem?

"It was a demo, we were testing it, Maj. Gen. Thanusilpa Duangkaewngam, the officer in charge of the provincial immigration bureau, said by telephone.

Be patient, the test is still ongoing.

Could this be another case of pay peanuts get monkeys ? Some years ago some lowkey border army post asked me to help them out with their pc. It was connected to www and infested with virusses and spyware. I kid u not. I dont think they kept top secret info but still.