Changing baht to pounds in cash in uk.

Good evening everyone.

Was hoping someone might have some info to help me.

For whatever reason there's a possibility I may be bringing the maximum amount of Thai baht I am allowed to back to the UK (50,000 baht). Has anyone done this before or with a similar amount?

Is it quite easy to get that amount changed to pounds at a post office, travel agency or bank? I know I'll probably get hit hard with that exchange rate etc but I'm not too bothered. I'm not interested in selling to a company off the internet or anything.

Or do you think they may be able to change that amount to pounds at swampy airport before I fly?

Cheers.

Edited by Jay1

Why don't you exchange the bahts to pounds before going to the airport? you'll get a better rate just anywhere.

Ok that sounds a lot better. With 50,000 baht do think they'll be able to change it there and then though. I'm probably going to be on a tight schedule. Somewhere in bkk?

Well, the amount is less of the problem than the availability of the UK notes at the branch.

They don't keep a stock of foreign banknotes I think. So finding a branch where they have something north of 1000 pounds in the drawer might be a challenge.

SuperRich is at the ''Airport''... on the Lower Ground Floor , walking towards the Train into Central Bangkok... Look for the SIGN...or ask someone.. normally they give the best rates..

Robertthebruce has given you excellent information.

At BKK airport on the lowest floor, to the left of the Airport Link station entrance are four or five booths including SuperRich which give enhanced exchange rates.

They have queues of people changing money so will have no shortage of your preferred currency.

Best way to bring funds to Thailand too, bring in your local currency, change it on the Airport Link currency booths and pay it into the airport branch of your bank. It costs me 60 baht to deposit 50,000 into Kasikorn airport branch.

At BKK airport on the lowest floor, to the left of the Airport Link station entrance are four or five booths including SuperRich which give enhanced exchange rates.

They have queues of people changing money so will have no shortage of your preferred currency.

Best way to bring funds to Thailand too, bring in your local currency, change it on the Airport Link currency booths and pay it into the airport branch of your bank. It costs me 60 baht to deposit 50,000 into Kasikorn airport branch.

That's an interesting bit of advice. I do the same at every trip except I change my euros at the KBANK branch and it takes forever because they insist in xeroxing every banknote.

Are SupeRich's rates at Suwa the same as the (standard) rates you get at your KBANK branch?

That's an interesting bit of advice. I do the same at every trip except I change my euros at the KBANK branch and it takes forever because they insist in xeroxing every banknote.

Are SupeRich's rates at Suwa the same as the (standard) rates you get at your KBANK branch?

Not the same as mainstream banks, around 2 baht per GBP £ better. They also gave me a slightly enhanced rate over and above that because I had £50 notes. Paid into Kasikorn on the floor between arrivals and departures using their ATM type deposit machine very easily and quickly.

Well, the amount is less of the problem than the availability of the UK notes at the branch.

They don't keep a stock of foreign banknotes I think. So finding a branch where they have something north of 1000 pounds in the drawer might be a challenge.

Hardly ! These exchangers are taking probably north of £5000 in Sterling an hour in the bigger outlets minimum

Thomas Cook will change it but the rate is terrible. Change it at Bangkok airport, why take Baht back to the UK?

Unless you never come back ever why would you change it back to Sterling ??

Vasu is what I use (Sukhumvit Rd). Better rate than any bank. Haven't ever used SuperRich but I assume they would be comparable.

But that means a trip into Bangkok which may not be convenient for people flying onto other Thai destinations. If you journey from the airport involves the Airport Link or City Line you have already walked past some excellent exchange rates.

Thanks for all of your advice everyone.

Oh and thanks to Meatboy for your insult, hope putting me down made you feel better.

sorry if i insulted you but this has done the rounds a thousand times.

so if i can make it up to you i will take them [bHTS] for a thousand GBPS.