iPhone SE, when will it be available in Thailand?

Spacer

The future is cloud storage. Okay, Apple's 5GB of free storage is mediocre but more than enough to save your apps. I have two free Dropbox accounts at 23GB each and haven't even filled the first account yet and that's with my wife sharing. That's where all the photos and other bits and bobs are permanently stored and allows our iPhones memories to remain relatively clear.

Whether it's an iPhone memory of 16, 64 or 128GB really doesn't make a lot of difference. Find some storage as nature loves a vacuum.

I find Apple products to be of the highest quality and won't be changing anytime soon.

As long as you change to the latest devices you'll be ok. The iPhone 4's are already totally inadequate, 5's soon to follow. The problem is you're paying big bucks for devices which won't last as long as you think.

The iPhone 4 was sold six years ago. I think most six year old computers are "inadequate" now as well.

The future is cloud storage. Okay, Apple's 5GB of free storage is mediocre but more than enough to save your apps. I have two free Dropbox accounts at 23GB each and haven't even filled the first account yet and that's with my wife sharing. That's where all the photos and other bits and bobs are permanently stored and allows our iPhones memories to remain relatively clear.

Whether it's an iPhone memory of 16, 64 or 128GB really doesn't make a lot of difference. Find some storage as nature loves a vacuum.

I find Apple products to be of the highest quality and won't be changing anytime soon.

As long as you change to the latest devices you'll be ok. The iPhone 4's are already totally inadequate, 5's soon to follow. The problem is you're paying big bucks for devices which won't last as long as you think.

The iPhone 4 was sold six years ago. I think most six year old computers are "inadequate" now as well.

That's not a very good comparison because these phones are aging much faster than computers.

I have a 6 (desktop) and a 7 year old (laptop) computer which I use everyday- and both are more than adequate and they were cheap relative to most computers available at the time.

My 5 year old MacBook Air is also doing great.

I guess it all depends on what your phone and computing requirements are. Seven years ago, OSX was at Snow Leopard and many current apps will not operate on that. Then there is the issue of processors and newer applications have much greater processor and memory requirements. An iMac of that vintage would not even be able to install OSX 10.11 For these reasons, we use five year accelerated depreciation for computers.

Sure, an old machine is fine for simple applications that are not graphic intensive, or for internet browsing and email. But that is sort of the same thing for an old iPhone. In what way is the iPhone 4 totally inadequate by comparison?

I guess it all depends on what your phone and computing requirements are. Seven years ago, OSX was at Snow Leopard and many current apps will not operate on that. Then there is the issue of processors and newer applications have much greater processor and memory requirements. An iMac of that vintage would not even be able to install OSX 10.11 For these reasons, we use five year accelerated depreciation for computers.

Sure, an old machine is fine for simple applications that are not graphic intensive, or for internet browsing and email. But that is sort of the same thing for an old iPhone. In what way is the iPhone 4 totally inadequate by comparison?

I do a lot more than that with my 6 and 7 year old computers using a wide range of programs. (these are Windows, running 7 and 10). The only difference on newer computers is the speed of operations.

OSX was Lion back in 2011, 5 years ago.

Have you tried using an iPhone 4 lately? Just give it a go and you'll probably throw it away. A friend had one, and after working with it for a few days I suggested he get a cheap new smart phone... that's how inadequate it is. It's not supported in IOS 8, that's a clue. 6 and 7 year old Windows computers work fine with Windows 10.

Unbelievable. We have a COMPUTER inside the palm of our hand and people find ways to complain about this.

The desktops you compare your phone with have been on the market for decades. They had a lot more time to evolve. If you bought a computer in the early 80's, I'm sure by the mid 80's it was pretty much useless already.

Unbelievable. We have a COMPUTER inside the palm of our hand and people find ways to complain about this.

The desktops you compare your phone with have been on the market for decades. They had a lot more time to evolve. If you bought a computer in the early 80's, I'm sure by the mid 80's it was pretty much useless already.

It's pretty obvious you missed the point of my earlier posts. The point I was attempting to make is that iPhones and other cellphones become obsolete (or inadequate) much sooner than computers... It is worthwhile to consider this when making your purchases.

An iPhone 4 will NOT run the latest IOS... not even the last 2 IOS's. A 6 or 7 years old (and older too) computer WILL run the latest operating system. The laptop I'm using now is from 2010, running Windows 10 and it works extremely well and I have no need to replace it.

It's pretty obvious you missed the point of my earlier posts. The point I was attempting to make is that iPhones and other cellphones become obsolete (or inadequate) much sooner than computers... It is worthwhile to consider this when making your purchases.

An iPhone 4 will NOT run the latest IOS... not even the last 2 IOS's. A 6 or 7 years old (and older too) computer WILL run the latest operating system. The laptop I'm using now is from 2010, running Windows 10 and it works extremely well and I have no need to replace it.

I understood your point. And yes, you are right, a cell phone smart phone are pretty much useless after only a few years. But...now my point...the smart phone has been around for only ~10 years. When was the first computer available for commercial purchase? 60's? 70's? I'm pretty sure ( without doing any research on this now ), that a new program written for the computer back then was way advanced and needed hardware to be upgraded in a similar timeline as a smartphone now.

In a few more years the smartphones should be a bit more evolved that they can last longer if needed.

I am still amazed what they managed to build into this small device.

I understood your point. And yes, you are right, a cell phone smart phone are pretty much useless after only a few years. But...now my point...the smart phone has been around for only ~10 years. When was the first computer available for commercial purchase? 60's? 70's? I'm pretty sure ( without doing any research on this now ), that a new program written for the computer back then was way advanced and needed hardware to be upgraded in a similar timeline as a smartphone now.

In a few more years the smartphones should be a bit more evolved that they can last longer if needed.

I am still amazed what they managed to build into this small device.

Yes, that is correct, but my original point was about the cost of an iPhone and is it worth the cost, as iPhones have always been near or the most expensive smart phones on the market. As an Apple newbie several years ago I would have said yes, now I don't believe the high price of an iPhone is value for money. The lack of storage expansion and a battery compartment make it even less of value IMO. It does help them make money on iCloud storage though... something I had to do (pay for more iCloud storage) more than a year ago for my iPad mini, as 16GB was woefully inadequate.

I think the biggest disappointment is that an iPhone, for it's price, and considering there's no battery compartment, is not water proof when other cheaper phones have already reached this milestone.

Will a six year old Samsung smartphone run the latest Android version? Is it also "inadequate"?

@tropo what you believe to be a feature - PCs running the latest OS - is more of a bug, really, as Desktop computers have completely stagnated the last 7 or so years. I have a 4 year old laptop with a Quad core i7 - the latest model of this same laptop is something like 15% faster. A low end core i7 (mobile) is slower than my 4 year old one... I can't remember that ever happening before... we're in the middle of a dramatic slowdown in progress as desktop computing is concerned. Operating systems have progressed even less, both Mac and Windows. A short history would be Windows alternates between totally useless and kinda-OK releases, whereas Mac OS X adds lots of features that are useless or changes features that remain useless in every release.

In mobile, hardware moves along as it has in the past on desktops, doubling the speed about every 18 months (sometimes even faster). At least Apple's A... series processors have been doing that the last few years. The competition isn't too far behind either.

There are no (**ok: hardly any) 6 year old Samsung phones around, quality was never a priority at Samsung. This is not bashing Samesung - I don't think they need to last a lot longer, and longevity simply is not a consumer priority.

Going to sell an iPhone 4 today, it still works perfectly. It has a retina display which still looks better than any cheapo phone you can buy now, 6 years later. It might actually be a really good deal for the few thousand baht I am expecting to get for it. I would really like to see some statistics on how many of those old iPhones are still running...

But what I really wanted to ask: What's up with the iPhone SE in Thailand? I can get all the way to buying it in the Apple online store Thailand, but then the "buy" button is disabled.... very weird.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess I am having a difficult time understanding how a phone that was announced in April 2014 is "more powerful and much more reliable" than the most recent iPhone equipped with Apple's most recent 64 bit A9 chipset?

The referenced OnePlus One smartphone was announced in April 2014 and carries a Snapdragon 801 chipset, announced in February of 2014.

At 399 USD you're much better off getting a more powerful and much more reliable OnePlus One. They're a year and a half old now but still better than an iPhone 6.

Yes, but is it better than the Iphone 6S? The SE has mostly 6S internals does it not? A bit different than the older 6....

Sorry for wording it badly, I meant powerful as in the things you can do. The only difference in the processing power is that the iPhone will be able to run games that look a lot nicer, but for normal phone tasks both have more than enough. Also the camera on the 6S is better. I recommend the OnePlus because it's cheaper and more reliable, the charger cables are the strongest stock cables I have ever seen from a phone let alone any piece of tech at all. I've dropped the thing accidentally numerous times and there's not a single sign of damage, the first drop of an iPhone and the whole screen is going to shatter. As the other guy said, replacement parts/accessories all need to be bought online and as such is not a good idea if you need it fast. Sorry if I seem like someone who just hates Apple, but seriously the price tags do not match the product, not one bit. Those chargers and headphone cables break if a fly lands on them.

Sorry for wording it badly, I meant powerful as in the things you can do. The only difference in the processing power is that the iPhone will be able to run games that look a lot nicer, but for normal phone tasks both have more than enough. Also the camera on the 6S is better. I recommend the OnePlus because it's cheaper and more reliable, the charger cables are the strongest stock cables I have ever seen from a phone let alone any piece of tech at all. I've dropped the thing accidentally numerous times and there's not a single sign of damage, the first drop of an iPhone and the whole screen is going to shatter. As the other guy said, replacement parts/accessories all need to be bought online and as such is not a good idea if you need it fast. Sorry if I seem like someone who just hates Apple, but seriously the price tags do not match the product, not one bit. Those chargers and headphone cables break if a fly lands on them.

George I think the guy above was referring to one plus being difficult to source parts, if broken. There are authorised Apple repair centres in Thailand to carry out warranty repairs.

Have you ever owned an iPhone? I have and I can assure you that the screen doesn't shatter when dropped either on my 5 or 6S or iPads. I have had 2 sets of Apple ear phones for 3 years, neither broken nor any issues with charging cables either.

I don't love Apple and agree the price is high but the build quality is pretty damn good.

I can't see an iPhone screen shattering any more easily than any other.

Sure Apple phones are somewhat overpriced, but not ridiculously. Many Android phones are cheap because they are cheap.

I'd rather buy anything over here from a place here that offers warranty coverage here, Android or IOS.

I tried Android, tried to like it. Even tried the flagship phones. But I found Android to be either a cheap clunky experience or an expensive clunky experience.

Posted via Tapatalk

Multiple of my family members always buy the latest iPhones and I don't bother telling them anymore. All of their chargers have been replaced twice, my dad's headphones have been replaced, my sister's and mother's screens are completely smashed from a single drop at hand height (they're short). Also I mentioned the repairs in my reply.

Android phones are cheap because most of the companies that produce them don't spend billions on TV and movies to say theirs is best. For me, I find iOS to be a cheap and clunky experience and for the most part because it actually is. The designers made it look nice, not easy to use. Both obviously require some getting used to, but on Android getting to settings and other app shortcuts is so much easier to use.

OnePlus has warranty coverage, but as mentioned before you're gonna have to mail it in which is not an option if you're in a rush. Mine came with a 3 year warranty and I haven't had to use it.

The main thing that puts Android over iOS is that you can just use an Android as a PC which makes everything so much easier. Plugging your phone to your PC via USB gives you access to all the files on the entire phone, letting you put your music and videos and any apps you may have even made yourself straight onto the phone without clunky and annoying software like iTunes. With an iPhone, you have to resize videos down to iPhones tiny screen resolution (1334x750) for them to even try and play. Android being no different to a Linux PC lets you play any size video and plays it at the resolution of your screen like a normal computer should.

Oh yeah and as mentioned before you're paying that price tag for a phone that's only 1334x750, the difference between that and 1080p is noticeable enough let alone the fact that most Android flagships are 1440p.

Multiple of my family members always buy the latest iPhones and I don't bother telling them anymore. All of their chargers have been replaced twice, my dad's headphones have been replaced, my sister's and mother's screens are completely smashed from a single drop at hand height (they're short). Also I mentioned the repairs in my reply.

Android phones are cheap because most of the companies that produce them don't spend billions on TV and movies to say theirs is best. For me, I find iOS to be a cheap and clunky experience and for the most part because it actually is. The designers made it look nice, not easy to use. Both obviously require some getting used to, but on Android getting to settings and other app shortcuts is so much easier to use.

OnePlus has warranty coverage, but as mentioned before you're gonna have to mail it in which is not an option if you're in a rush. Mine came with a 3 year warranty and I haven't had to use it.

The main thing that puts Android over iOS is that you can just use an Android as a PC which makes everything so much easier. Plugging your phone to your PC via USB gives you access to all the files on the entire phone, letting you put your music and videos and any apps you may have even made yourself straight onto the phone without clunky and annoying software like iTunes. With an iPhone, you have to resize videos down to iPhones tiny screen resolution (1334x750) for them to even try and play. Android being no different to a Linux PC lets you play any size video and plays it at the resolution of your screen like a normal computer should.

Oh yeah and as mentioned before you're paying that price tag for a phone that's only 1334x750, the difference between that and 1080p is noticeable enough let alone the fact that most Android flagships are 1440p.

I never use iTunes for any media. I download straight to my ibridge and plug & play it directly on my iPad/phone, all formats.

I'm not gonna argue what's best only that I've had many apple products over the years & the only repair I've had was a free battery upgrade for my 13" mbpro. Nothing else has ever needed a repair.

Yah. Horses for courses. I've heard all the pro Android arguments too. I find it a god awful user experience whichever device I use it on. Trouble is, people often get all emotional about it. Whatever. People will choose what they like. Personally I wouldn't use even a flagship Android phone if it was free.

Posted via Tapatalk

Archived