Army chief blasts senselessly speaking politicians

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least we now have the official confirmation that these attitude adjustments and training camps are ment to be a PUNISHMENT.

A punishment for having an independent thought.

Chinese flag will soon have another star on it. Everyone in Thailand will have a color not popular here.

What is the difference between these 're adjustment' camps and the US torture camps set up here and elsewhere in SE Asia after their illegal invasion of Middle Eastern countries? You chuckleheads you huh.png

The various US secret establishments and whatever they got up to in them was wrong, very wrong. They did great harm to the US, arguably more harm than the terrorists they were set up to contain.

That does not make right, excuse or in any way justify the Thai junta setting up camps to contain their critics.

For a long time now Thailand has been divided between two competing power networks, each carrying the support of a sizeable portion of the population.

On one side are the criminally corrupt, grossly ineffectual Royal Thai Police, and those loyal or sympathetic to TS. The strongest levels of support rest with the populous north and northeast regions of the country (which contain the majority of the country’s parliamentary seats).

The other competing power network is the incredibly bloated, top heavy (with an estimated 1,400 generals), criminally corrupt Royal Thai Army, the bureaucracy, and the elites of Thai society. Rightly or wrongly, this network viewed the rise of TS, and the continuation of his influence via YL, as a challenge to their power and status.

The stated reason for Prayuth's coup was to eradicate chronic corruption of the TS/YL era, however it is now all too apparent that the Prayuth government has instead further exacerbated the corruption culture, and that the coup was not really intended to tackle corruption at all—since the coup makers themselves are not free from corrupt practices—but it was staged in order to ensure that right people in the position to take control of politics at the impending critical transition. The stakes are too high to allow TS proxies to be in charge at this future point in time; therefore, they had to be eliminated. Corruption just happened to be the most palatable excuse to legitimise the decision to topple the Thaksin-backed regime.

So I doubt we're going to see elections until the military/elite are sure they can retain power; and things could quite easily get a whole lot worse before they start to get better.

Reform for both of these powerful mafia-like organisations (the RTP and the military) has been called for on numerous occasions over the past decades, and, while possible, will likely take decades to fully realise. A 2013 report by Paul Chambers from the Peace Research Institute Frankfurt, entitled 'Unruly Boots: Military Power and Security Sector Reform Efforts in Thailand' concludes:

Security sector reform will not come to Thailand until greater democracy comes to Thailand. The security sector needs to be accountable to democratically-elected politicians rather than the palace alone. As such, there must be a fully-elected Senate in which military appointees are unable to sit in the Upper House. At the same time, the armed forces and police must be shorn of their economic holdings and military/police budgets must be made much more transparent so that defense/police appropriations do not wind up being used for partisan purposes.

I won't be holding my breath.

What is the difference between these 're adjustment' camps and the US torture camps set up here and elsewhere in SE Asia after their illegal invasion of Middle Eastern countries? You chuckleheads you huh.png

The US torture camps are not used to silence free speech of its own citizens.

sad.pngblink.png But is ok when used for anybody else?facepalm.gif Ok. True colors!

Dangerous it is.

"He said a soldier private speaks even more sense than these politician....."

If this is respect he gives to, and what he thinks of those under his immediate control, what does he think of the rest of the population?

When I was in the military many years ago I always respected the commission and rank of the officers set above me.

This is not the same as respecting the person that holds that rank or commission. That part was earned.

Last night in Chiang Mai night bazaar, VIP was shopping. 4 security and hotel personnel with 2 police outside shop. On the street outside was the white SUV double parked blocking traffic. Up ahead was police vehicle with lights flashing. Another vehicle was double parked as well. Police standing outside.

Hello army, please stamp out corruption. What I saw was disgusting and contrary to what was promised. Please do attitude adjustment on the people who misused public funds so a VIP could go shopping at night in the dead commercial zone.

Thanks.

Edited by geriatrickid

So when people express a political opinion that military bullies don't like it's "for themselves" but two years into military power an arrogant soldier's opinion is for the good of the country?

Anyway, the most notable aspect of this story to me is how it shows the military have become arrogant and complaisant in what they do and say. Hopefully this will continue for the genuine good of the country... where a tipping point is reached....

So when people express a political opinion that military bullies don't like it's "for themselves" but two years into military power an arrogant soldier's opinion is for the good of the country?

Anyway, the most notable aspect of this story to me is how it shows the military have become arrogant and complaisant in what they do and say. Hopefully this will continue for the genuine good of the country... where a tipping point is reached....

The pen is mightier than the sword. Tipping point means a compromise that is worked out peacefully so that all have a say in reform. Be it against the ideas of the current government or for. A peoples roadmap for governance that is fair, uncorrupt, transparent and just.

Yes I'm not Thai, just a view on today's topic for discussion from an alien residing in Thailand who enjoys a political debate. To be perfectly honest with everyone on this forum. I enjoy politics, reading the news, commenting on it, but in no way am I pushing my ideas onto reader's. Observation from my armchair. That's all I do. Read everyone's opinion, that's all it is. For example, my teacher at school when I was a kid used to say "If I told you to jump off a cliff, would you?". Exactly, just commentary from an old, expat, interested in politics. Why Thai politics? Because I live here, so its interesting, mind my own business, sorry to offend, but if a Thai lives abroad, you to can do the same.

Dangerous it is.

"He said a soldier private speaks even more sense than these politician....."

If this is respect he gives to, and what he thinks of those under his immediate control, what does he think of the rest of the population?

When I was in the military many years ago I always respected the commission and rank of the officers set above me.

This is not the same as respecting the person that holds that rank or commission. That part was earned.

That was the military. We are talking here about civilian politics. I might also add that the Thai military have not exactly proved themselves of much use when the country has faced external threats, which is what they are meant for in the first place.

They do a good job at staging coups, however, and shooting those who object. All in order to return power to them as quickly as possible of course. 'Never mind us, you just carry on,'

You are looking to the wrong people for salvation.

I might also add that the Thai military have not exactly proved themselves of much use when the country has faced external threats, which is what they are meant for in the first place.

They do a good job at staging coups, however, and shooting those who object. All in order to return power to them as quickly as possible of course.

This is why they are nothing but bullies. They are only capable of going after civilians. They have no real military achievements through history. That's why Victory Monument is yet another Thai lie, otherwise it would be named The Only Significant Achievement Being A Bit Of Conceded Land From The French In An Otherwise Inconclusive Battle Monument.

Spanked by the Vietnamese (numerous times) and taking it up the arse from the Japs is more their specialty, when not stealing dinner money from the little kids in the hub of all playgrounds.

The Central American country of Costa Rica, wisely circumvented this problem in 1949, when they abolished their Army. Thailand is not surrounded by enemies and lack of a military would be a blessing for this country.

The US torture camps are not used to silence free speech of its own citizens.

sad.pngblink.png But is ok when used for anybody else?facepalm.gif Ok. True colors!

Can you please explain to those of us not so enlightened the part of my sentence where I implied, suggested, or otherwise insinuated that the US torture camps are "ok"?

'He said the majority of politicians have sense speaking, unlike these people who always make points to criticise.' Well, if you can't handle the critics, then I suppose the next best thing is to question their IQ.

Roughly translated means those for us talk sense, those against us talk rubbish.