Great Barrier Reef suffers worst coral bleaching on record

webfact

Great Barrier Reef suffers worst coral bleaching on record

606x341_328436.jpg

Scientists say parts of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef are going through the worst coral bleaching on record.

Experts have looked at more than 500 areas between Cairns and Papua New Guinea – and 95 percent have been put in the most severe category.

Bleaching is heat-induced, generated by high sea temperatures that kill algae.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-03-29

Wonder if Shell or Exxon will include pictures of this bleaching at their corporate gigs this year?

I very much doubt it.

I also doubt they will include pictures of the Scottish Highland Games, women in Cameroon making raffia mats, or the national championships for Filipino nose flute music.

"We are a shareholder driven company" is the mantra.

It's not a mantra. It's a legal requirement. Shareholders can sue a public company if profits take a downturn and they can prove it was due to mismanagement.

Wonder if Shell or Exxon will include pictures of this bleaching at their corporate gigs this year?

I very much doubt it.

I also doubt they will include pictures of the Scottish Highland Games, women in Cameroon making raffia mats, or the national championships for Filipino nose flute music.

"We are a shareholder driven company" is the mantra.

It's not a mantra. It's a legal requirement. Shareholders can sue a public company if profits take a downturn and they can prove it was due to mismanagement.

what ? as opposed to environmentalists suing a public company because of negligence?

and the oil companies are making record profits.

"We are a shareholder driven company" is the mantra. Wonder if Shell or Exxon will include pictures of this bleaching at their corporate gigs this year?

What the hell has this got to do with the bleaching. There have been no oil spills in this part of the world and the pilots who guide the ships through this area are extremely competant. I know being personally involved.

and the oil companies are making record profits.

"We are a shareholder driven company" is the mantra. Wonder if Shell or Exxon will include pictures of this bleaching at their corporate gigs this year?

What the hell has this got to do with the bleaching. There have been no oil spills in this part of the world and the pilots who guide the ships through this area are extremely competant. I know being personally involved.

The temperature is what is causing the bleaching.

The fossil fuel industry is a major contributor to global warming.

Ergo they are partly to blame.

Corals can recover from periodic bleaching. Prolonged exposure to high temperature kills them.

This has nothing to do with climate changes. I heard that it is due to a constant leak from the White King factory in Townsville.

My brother who lives in Townsville said the same, but still, the higher sea temperatures as Ms Chicog refers to are not helping things

This has nothing to do with climate changes. I heard that it is due to a constant leak from the White King factory in Townsville.

But this bleaching is Cairns to the North and it is a long way from Townsville to Cairns, so why is the reef off Townsville not effected.

Edited by oldsailor35