Overloaded trucks are required to seek permission from Highways Department

webfact

Overloaded trucks are required to seek permission from Highways Department

375-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Owners of trailer trucks which carry heavy construction materials have been warned to have their vehicles registered with the Highways Department for permission otherwise they may face a 6-month jailterm and/or a fine of not exceeding 10,000 baht.

Mr Phiraphol Thavornsupacharoen, the transport deputy permanent secretary and acting director-general of Highways Department, said Tuesday that the new measure was meant to protect roads from damage caused by overloaded trucks.

He pointed out that the ongoing construction of several mega infrastructure projects required the service of may trailer trucks to carry heavy construction materials such as ready-made concrete segments from factories to construction sites.

These heavy loaded trucks, he explained, have caused damages to highways and roads and, hence, they need to be regulated.

Owners of these heavy-duty vehicles can call 1586 or 02-3546686-75 for more information.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157377

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-30

No more overloaded trailer trucks?

No problem. No need for them when you got...

7b878ab9a2d962329cfb8a03e3387f9a.jpg

3dfc5ae82b969add582566e9d1e1494c.jpg

dcd0b3910d46cc1c7cb51ed54d5b0875.jpg

63db92ab9cbc42af7baa84d053947dca.jpg

befc19388ee0b4c2b3e02404174021d2.jpg

I'm guessing it's more about financial concerns than safety concerns...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Damage to the highway" is quite obviously a financial concern. The local authority either pays for the repairs or enforces weight limits, just like they do in USA and Europe!

Unless of course you're willing to pay for road repairs; no, I thought not!

Getting the permit or being allowed to travel the route, to the destination,

when these small bridges are crossed who actually goes and inspects these bridges

for wear and tear, and how often are they checked, weights and measures do not seem

to be active only at weight stations,

From the dismantling of bridges i have seen that is taking

place now , some on the tenuous horizontal beams have been shaken to the edge,

Sugar cane trucks so overloaded crossing village bridges sure makes me think

about crossing the same bridge, getting off my bum i have been to look at the main

one used, and now take an alternative route,

until an up grade of this one is done.

Ah, yet another proclamation, from the land of proclamations, that will have a couple of days of fanfare then cosigned to the trash can, along with all the others.

As we wind down sugar season and the monstrously overloaded sugar trucks, which constantly fall over ( I am convinced not one Thai has any concept of Center of Gravity), we can congratulate ourselves that this latest edict has worked

....until November when mysteriously they will all re-appear just as overloaded, dangerous, and road surface destroying as ever

"Damage to the highway" is quite obviously a financial concern. The local authority either pays for the repairs or enforces weight limits, just like they do in USA and Europe!

No need to state the obvious. Building roads and maintaining them takes up a big portion of any gov budgets all around the world. But you missed my point...

What about the overloaded vehicles that kills thousands of people in Thailand every year... because they're overloaded? Why not regulate it all at once while they're on it?

No, because human lives has less value than asphalt in Thailand.

Overloaded trucks are against the law,every truck,whatever size

has a gross weight limit,are the Land department saying to truckers

if you want to overload your trucks,contact us,which does not make

sense,unless there is an incentive involved,you know what i mean.

regards Worgeordie

Another waste of breath...Yet again it's a classic case of the Thai's daily unwillingness to abide by any form of law..be it driving the 'wrong' way down a one-way street, sailing thru' a

junction at speed,with an overhead red light blazing away...or, in the case of truck-drivers.. loading 50-100% more soil in the truck, (general rule of hauling soil is fill only 50% of the trucks body-capacity to reach it's weight limit...now observe how much soil they have onboard!). Also transporting a 25ton diggers on 6-wheelers

designed to carry 14-16T (with only 1 snag-chain holding it on).

And if we all read the report again, then in there you'll find that magic word that seems to be consistent with any mention of penalties for wrong-dooers...'may'.

'May' receive a jail term, may be fined, may be banned, may just carry on as normal.

May seems to run alongside 'urge' nowadays.

Another waste of breath...Yet again it's a classic case of the Thai's daily unwillingness to abide by any form of law..be it driving the 'wrong' way down a one-way street, sailing thru' a

junction at speed,with an overhead red light blazing away...or, in the case of truck-drivers.. loading 50-100% more soil in the truck, (general rule of hauling soil is fill only 50% of the trucks body-capacity to reach it's weight limit...now observe how much soil they have onboard!). Also transporting a 25ton diggers on 6-wheelers

And if we all read the report again, then in there you'll find that magic word that seems to be consistent with any mention of penalties for wrong-dooers...'may'.

'May' receive a jail term, may be fined, may be banned, may just carry on as normal.

Without Rule of Law there is NO democracy. Anarchy anyone?

MAY , actually means envelope in Liapoota language ,

regards Worgeordie

An incentive indeed! Tut tut...

I think Tim is more likely to pay for road repairs than the local authority :rolleyes:

No need to state the obvious. Building roads and maintaining them takes up a big portion of any gov budgets all around the world. But you missed my point...

What about the overloaded vehicles that kills thousands of people in Thailand every year... because they're overloaded? Why not regulate it all at once while they're on it?

Well the obvious point here is they are only concerned about the roads in Bangkok, so the daily insanity will continue unchecked in the rest of Thailand.

No, because human lives has less value than asphalt in Thailand.

That's pretty obvious, the total reliance on the protection of the spirits and a complete lack of common sense, coupled with an urgency to get anywhere no matter what.

Life is cheap, that's something that is more apparent as you travel to poorer nations. In many third world countries a large family is essential if you want at least two or three of your offspring to survive infant mortality and love long enough to look after you in your old age.

Preventing death is a western obsession because we value life, here it's accepted as an every day norm, and fate isn't in your hands so why bother trying to prevent something that is destined to happen.

Travel is an education if you take time to look at life through the eyes of the people in the countries you visit.

Overweight, unroadworthy, uninsured, unlicensed drivers, unwillingness to observe traffic regulations, a police force unwilling to enforce traffic regulations, unless a small cash consideration is involved.

Of course they're only concerned about the cost of damage to the road, they don't give a flying <deleted> about anything else!

Prevention is better than cure, unless you're Thai.

regards Worgeordie

Back in the early 90's Australia had a 5 ton front axle load limit on heavy trucks

If you wanted to raise the limit to 6 tons you just paid for a 12 month permit

How the permit made it safer I have no idea, but it WAS a pretty green sticker you were given rolleyes.gif

Something else that will never change here, too many gov officials getting backhanders from the sugarcane truck owners etc. for allowing the overloading, can't go rocking the boat now can we.....

I'm pretty sure the bottom three pictures were taken in Cambodia (the second from the bottom could even be from Vietnam), not Thailand. While the top two are quite commonplace in Thailand and one occasionally sees trucks with 2-3 people sitting on the roof (mainly in border areas like near Mae Sot) apart from people sitting in the trays of pickup trucks you don't see 10-15 people on the roof of a small vehicle. In Cambodia you do and if you look closely the vehicles in that photo are positioned on the right hand side of the road, the opposite side to which Thailand's traffic travels on.

Of course it's true that traffic in Thailand drives on the left, most of the time.

So you drive your overloaded truck to the nearest Highway Department and ask for certification of your overload?

Most likely you have to unload on the non-ever-used driver education circuit, drop your legal load and come back for the rest of the load, for which you will be charged a fee.

Thai logic.

But it is a good start to at least try to make over-loaders aware of the dangers of overloading,

and that counts for the overload of alcohol the same.

regards Worgeordie

What about design and construction limits. It does not matter what any department may say . The brakes are designed for the vehicles specific weight .not what any department may give permission for. Another accident waiting to happen.

This will differently piss off the BIB as a large source of their income(keep it up Army). About ten years or so ago the PM was listening to a proposal of doing almost the same thing.The trucking company would be fined and to pay monies to the government for any overloads caught by the BIB.The BIB went in to a rage with protest of not writing any tickets to any truck with any load.The BIB writing the ticket would have not seen any money in bribes if this had went into law..To appease the BIB the proposal was not even brought up again.At this time of the idea this was still TITT land and you know who still had sway as a retired policeman on the side of the BIB.

curious ....i live around the saraburi province and for the last few days in the evening i have been seeing what looks like blades for wind fans ...shit they must be at 50/60 meters in lenght ... and the round metal towers they must 3/4 meters in dai and 20 meters in length ....all on low loaders trailers ....

if anyone else has seen or knows about them i'd love to know ..... wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif