3 policemen killed and 6 injured in an ambush in Narathiwat

webfact

3 policemen killed and 6 injured in an ambush in Narathiwat

2903006_southwatch-wpcf_728x409.jpg

NARATHIWAT: -- Three policemen were killed and six others seriously injured in an ambush by southern insurgents in Narathiwat’s Janae district Tuesday afternoon.

Informed security sources said that the policemen from Janae district police were on their back to the station after having completed an investigation mission. While approaching Ban Bor Ngor in Tambon Bor Ngor, insurgents who had laid in wait in bushes detonated a roadside bomb and opened up with M79 grenades at the pickup truck carrying the nine policemen.

Three were killed inside the truck. They were identified as Lt Aekkachai Neeseng, Sgt Major Anuwat Korabalong and Lance Corporal Ratchapruek Arwae.

Six other sustained serious injuries from bomb shrapnels. They were identified as Pol Maj Vithi Chueysaen, Pol Lt Suchart Ananprasert, Pol Lt Amnart Luangsanit, Pol Corporal Arunrat Sombatyanuchit, Pol Corporal Thirayuth Suanthong and Pol Lance Corporal Idtree Da-oh.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157410

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-03-30

Condolences to the families of the Thai police. The killing and maiming in the Thai south continues on. What is the most recent death count? The Thai [press doesn't ever report this on a regular basis. What is the truthful death count in the Thai south?

Terrible and tragic

communication is lacking on all fronts,

how do Malaysia see this situation do they want that part of Thailand,?

anti muslim sentiment by buddists just gets more fuel when murder happens,

doing your job in that area must be taxing mentally, and more brave people

will be taken before any resolve rears its head, sadly.

R.I P.

Condolences to the families of the Thai police. The killing and maiming in the Thai south continues on. What is the most recent death count? The Thai [press doesn't ever report this on a regular basis. What is the truthful death count in the Thai south?

The most recent toll I could find was published on January 4 this year, which claimed that between 2004-2015, 6,543 were killed, and another 11,919 were injured.

As of 12/2015 estimated death toll was 6,500 since 2004. The majority of deaths are from within the local Muslim community An example of the stats as of 04/2014:

The statistics also showed that of the 6,097 deaths, most of the preys of fatalities were Muslims with 3,583 people, approximately 58.55 percent of the deaths, while there were 2,359 Buddhist deaths, approximately 38.69 percent.

http://www.deepsouthwatch.org/node/5904

From the names in the OP it seems some of those killed were Muslim.

The fact that more than half of those killed were local ethnic Malays, indicates that the Thai security forces are doing most of the killing. It only makes the news, though, when it's the Thai security forces on the receiving end.

The fact that more than half of those killed were local ethnic Malays, indicates that the Thai security forces are doing most of the killing. It only makes the news, though, when it's the Thai security forces on the receiving end.

Only if you took a statistic , gave it a heavy coat of bias, made a false assumption, and closed your good eye.

Only if you took a statistic , gave it a heavy coat of bias, made a false assumption, and closed your good eye.

The exact recipe one would need to believe one of Thailand's most criminally corrupt organisations, with a vast record of extrajudicial killings and human rights abuses—who will and have done anything to cling to power—are not down there involved in tit-for-tat killings, kidnappings and murders in order to maintain their political power.

Do you really believe that an army that has on several occasions shot and killed large number of its own unarmed civilians are completely innocent victims in the south? Please.

The most recent toll I could find was published on January 4 this year, which claimed that between 2004-2015, 6,543 were killed, and another 11,919 were injured.

Amazing...this is truly an under-reported story...

Until the Govt give officers something better than a pickup to carry out their duties in what is effectively a war zone this tragic waste of life will continue.

Quite so. Another tragedy in the country, the government doesn't seem to be onto it.

The army has plenty of Hummers (seen 'em in Korat), are they using them down south?

As reported in this ISRANews report, dated 4 January 2013, the (governmental) Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre states that, by the end of 2012, the conflict had claimed 3,380 lives, including 2,316 civilians, 372 soldiers, 278 police, 250 suspected insurgents, 157 education officials, and seven Buddhist monks.

...insurgents...???

...revolutionaries.....separatists....???

...what is the long-standing grievance....

...some people term it a 'war'....

...is it just based on religion....???

...we read recently that thousands of firearms were sent into the region....

...how will that help except to escalate the bloodshed...???

The exact recipe one would need to believe one of Thailand's most criminally corrupt organisations, with a vast record of extrajudicial killings and human rights abuses—who will and have done anything to cling to power—are not down there involved in tit-for-tat killings, kidnappings and murders in order to maintain their political power.

Do you really believe that an army that has on several occasions shot and killed large number of its own unarmed civilians are completely innocent victims in the south? Please.

I never thought that the RTA were completely innocent anywhere. But taking the statistic that 'more than half of those killed were local ethnic Malays' and extrapolating that to 'the Thai security forces are doing most of the killing' is simply puerile. Do you seriously believe that ethnic Malays are not killing each other, intentionally or accidentally?

Edited by halloween

ISOC spokesperson Colonel Pramote Promin disclosed on March 19th that the government’s peace campaign in the southern most provinces of Narathiwat, Yala, Pattani, and Songkhla has been very successful.

Perhaps Pramote should go out on a couple field patrols himself. wai2.gif

I was involved in a similar action in Malaya back in the 50's. Unless we were doing jungle patrols, we traveled everywhere in APC's

Attacked several times but no loss of life, it really is common sense. You cannot tell the Thai anything as they know best, but if only they would take notice of how we operated back then, maybe they would have a chance to clear this insurgency up. As things are right now this will go on for many years as the RTP and RTA do not have a clue.

As reported in this ISRANews report, dated 4 January 2013, the (governmental) Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre states that, by the end of 2012, the conflict had claimed 3,380 lives, including 2,316 civilians, 372 soldiers, 278 police, 250 suspected insurgents, 157 education officials, and seven Buddhist monks.

you do realize that the insurgents are killing their local malays/muslims as well with their bombs and shootings as well as assassinations. Suggest you actually read the reports of how many are killed by these terrorists as its not just a few, there have been women and kids killed by these idiots as well. Trying to lay it at the feet of the thai forces alone is absolute bullsh*t, would make people believe you actually support what these terrorists are doing or have a huge gripe with Thailand and simply want to stir sh&t.

Edited by seajae

Until the Govt give officers something better than a pickup to carry out their duties in what is effectively a war zone this tragic waste of life will continue.

Quite so. Another tragedy in the country, the government doesn't seem to be onto it.

The army has plenty of Hummers (seen 'em in Korat), are they using them down south?

have seen some sort of armoured vehicle moving slowly in an in town street in sungaigolok, specifically the street i was about to walk up, turned around and went a different way. looked intimidating with soldiers hanging out of it. was a couple of years back now. Edited by shagorillaHotel

I never thought that the RTA were completely innocent anywhere. But taking the statistic that 'more than half of those killed were local ethnic Malays' and extrapolating that to 'the Thai security forces are doing most of the killing' is simply puerile. Do you seriously believe that ethnic Malays are not killing each other, intentionally or accidentally?

When I wrote 'indicates' I meant 'suggests' not 'proves.' Apologies for using that incorrect word; it was quite obviously pure conjecture on my part, based on the past and current actions on the military. Asking whether I "seriously believe that ethnic Malays are not killing each other" when I suggested nothing of the sort is putting words into my mouth, and is not the way to have a civil discussion.

Of course the separatists are killing civilians, that has been widely reported; as has the fact that the Thai security forces have engaged in extrajudicial killings. I was simply pointing out the huge discrepancy in the death toll and suggesting one possible reason for this. This is, after all, a discussion forum.

you do realize that the insurgents are killing their local malays/muslims as well with their bombs and shootings as well as assassinations. Suggest you actually read the reports of how many are killed by these terrorists as its not just a few, there have been women and kids killed by these idiots as well. Trying to lay it at the feet of the thai forces alone is absolute bullsh*t, would make people believe you actually support what these terrorists are doing or have a huge gripe with Thailand and simply want to stir sh&t.

Please point out to me where I laid the blame at the feet of the Thai forces alone? You can't, so please stop putting words into my mouth. That gaping flaw in your argument renders the rest of your diatribe moot.

Perhaps, but have you considered that the "insurgents" area terrorist movement. Terrorists start point is to terrorise the population to support and assist them. That is why they are called terrorists.

I suggest that a significant number of the ethnic Malays have been killed because they were policemen, defence volunteers, involved in local government and administration or were simply known to oppose the insurgents methods or ends.