3BB fibre quietly upgraded to 100 mbps?

roly

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the bill go up after 90 days ?

I am currently on 10mb/1mb and really need more speed ,so hopefully - if they have fibre in my area ,i think i might go for this

Good for streaming i think !

3BB 30meg at 1284Baht

Speedtest.net = 112Mbps down and 12Mbps up

Testmy.net = 9.3Mbps down and 6.8Mbps up

Speedtest is to/from Bangkok

Testmy is to/from ???

Who do we believe?

My last visit to the UK I used a 20meg link and it was way faster than this [alleged] 100Mbps FO from 3BB.

There is far more to this than most of us can [are allowed to] understand. Two days ago my lovely couldn't get a good WiFi connection on the upstairs balcony. At that time I had no problem at ground level. She called 1530 and within minutes had a much stronger WiFi signal. Could someone explain to me how that could happen. Genuine question.

firstly. Maybe your lovely reset the modem.. Your connection in the UK what websites were you connecting to Asian or European?

Thailand is now in the top league of internet speeds tongue.png

And I was naive to think that South Korea, Japan or Singapore would play in the upper double digit MBit/s league.

Maybe someone should tell the professionals (Akamai, worlds leading content provider).

Report for Asia, Q4 2015

https://www.stateoftheinternet.com/downloads/pdfs/2015-q4-state-of-the-internet-report-infographic-asia.pdf

post-99794-0-09638000-1459435771_thumb.j

This thread gives me a big grin only biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

3BB 30meg at 1284Baht

Testmy is to/from ???

Who do we believe?

My last visit to the UK I used a 20meg link and it was way faster than this [alleged] 100Mbps FO from 3BB.

There is far more to this than most of us can [are allowed to] understand. Two days ago my lovely couldn't get a good WiFi connection on the upstairs balcony. At that time I had no problem at ground level. She called 1530 and within minutes had a much stronger WiFi signal. Could someone explain to me how that could happen. Genuine question.

Absolutely plausible.

Of course rates for servers in the region (Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong etc.) are much higher than rates for data to Europe, USA etc.

The big players (Google/youtube, Facebook, Microsoft and so many others serve their data from data centers in the region, Google is supposed to operate from Hong Kong).

Testmy is to/from ???

Would help to check the ???

Edited by KhunBENQ

Will the bill go up after 90 days ?

I am currently on 10mb/1mb and really need more speed ,so hopefully - if they have fibre in my area ,i think i might go for this

Good for streaming i think !

I think the 10mb deal for 590 baht a month is going up to 18mb soon. I rang them and it is being rolled out over the next month.

3BB 30meg at 1284Baht

Testmy is to/from ???

Who do we believe?

firstly. Maybe your lovely reset the modem.. Your connection in the UK what websites were you connecting to Asian or European?

It always pays to reboot both modem and device before calling 1530 as that's the first thing they will usually suggest - so we did.

Ookla is claimed to be the best but this morning I am showing 192 down and 12 up from BKK. HK 120 down and 12 up. Testmy HK shows 35 down and 9 up. Whereas testmy was only showing 9 before that's now increased to 35 and ookla has gone from 112 to 192. I don't believe any of them any more. Test speeds and ping results only tell part of the story. At one time [few months after having FO installed] we were experiencing problems and the local technician said he had changed the port we were on. Ookla showed download of 250+Mbps for about a month. It appears that 3BB did't have the infrastructure to support the demand in our area and therefore open or close the 'tap' according user complaints - TOT used to do the same when we had them; reactive as against proactive. Contention levels in the UK used to be 20:1 for business users and 50:1 for residential. Very much doubt any such system applies here

The modem/router they provided was very poor at sending wifi to our second floor. After the third visit [different techy each time] this was changed for exactly the same item but with longer antennaes. The techy said the original was only for a single storey house - took three visits plus the original install for them to notice that we have a second storey. In the end we still had to install a second access point.

When in the UK I was connecting to European sites..

I would be really happy if I ever even got half of what I pay for from 3BB.

Tested with testmy.net

attachicon.gif30up 3 down ADSL pack from 3BB.jpg

Just went in and "Upgraded" my internet to the 50/10 Mbps

attachicon.gifupgraded 3bb.jpg

I am not on 3BB but have occasionally seen similar results to servers in Europe (UK e.g.).

I even had upload rates higher than download.

I suspect that these are intentional throttling.

The picture below shows some numbers cut out from a repeated test to a Vodafone test server in Germany,

http://speedcheck.vodafone.de/

(Date/Time. Upload, Download, Latency/Ping).

See the extreme variations in all numbers.

This morning it looks quite OK (even with a total of 8 devices sucking on my router).

The upload rates never go down that much.

No wonder as traffic from Thailand to rest of world is likely very small.

Add 5 hours to get Thailand time, like 05:21:45 = 10:21:45 Thai time.

post-99794-0-13098400-1459654182_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

It says you have a better upload rate than me tongue.png for the same price as me wink.png (ToT fibre, 30 / 3 for 1284).

I hesitate to change the package (never change a running internet).

The rates are completely satisfactory for private internet use (watching/downloading HD movies/videos, viewing IPTV/streaming services, downloading large SW packages).

For ordinary browsing/reading/viewing pictures/galleries it's much more than usually needed.

For heavy "cloud" users the rates might be a bottleneck.

Compare with the average rates shown in post #34.

A practical example: I have uploaded a good quality copy of a movie discussed in another forum.

The movie plays 1:27h, high quality (1280 * 720) and has a file size of about 1 GB.

A download with that 16 Mbit/s would take about 10 minutes.

Sure it would be nice to have 100 MBit/s but in reality the server is in New Zealand and gives me only 11 Mbit/s currently.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Whatever the claims 'on the box' we are all surely concerned with our own experience.

Since I first switched from VDSL to FO with 3BB speedtest results never seemed to support the bandwidth I had paid for. Especially whencomparing testmy v's ookla.

Those who truly have the answers will not be posting on this or any other thread on Thaivisa. So - call them as you see them -.from my personal experience 3BB appear to be getting their act together; in my local at least.

Having previously not seen more than 10Mbps on testmy [whilst Ookla reported 50 to 100Mbps] I am starting to get stats that suggest maybe 3BB are improving: Testmy download today = 38Mbps. I originally signed up for 30Mbps with 3BB and am quite happy with that; as testmy is to a HK server.

Whatever the claims 'on the box' we are all surely concerned with our own experience.

Since I first switched from VDSL to FO with 3BB speedtest results never seemed to support the bandwidth I had paid for. Especially whencomparing testmy v's ookla.

Those who truly have the answers will not be posting on this or any other thread on Thaivisa. So - call them as you see them -.from my personal experience 3BB appear to be getting their act together; in my local at least.

Having previously not seen more than 10Mbps on testmy [whilst Ookla reported 50 to 100Mbps] I am starting to get stats that suggest maybe 3BB are improving: Testmy download today = 38Mbps. I originally signed up for 30Mbps with 3BB and am quite happy with that; as testmy is to a HK server.

I'm the same BUT JUST pissed off that whereas before I got the same speeds day and night.. Now evening speeds seem to be throttled. Technician came out. Was told that I want my old service back (stable 30/3) "cannot" I was told.. So now I have 100/30.. At least during the day.. At night 5/15... And it's "definitely not being throttled" that's <deleted>..

Basically, this "upgrade" is going to be a downgrade for many people

The only way they could get the public to swallow it is with rigged tests to local servers using ookla www.speedtest.Net......

If it tests near 100mbp/s most people will say wow, fantastic and be happy because they don't know any better..... :(

Seems like they probably haven't upgraded the bandwidth at all, just more creative marketing and smoke and mirrors on the speedtests so they can sell even more of it...

I have no idea how to interpret speed test results but here is my recent experience with streaming live basketball games. I posted on another thread recently that my new FO (1,284 baht) connection with 3BB was awesome, completely stable and fast. The first couple of basketball games I streamed had zero breaks in the audio and video. But alas, no more. The last few games have had many breaks, and this morning the breaks were incessant. The audio kept up but the video broke up nearly every time the Golden State Warriors had the ball. So after the initial awe, I'm now less impressed. If you have a cable connection and you're happy with it, don't change. I've been in this new house with the FO connection for three weeks now and I'd say the awesomeness lasted for the first week or two.

I'm still happy that I can stream my online video and audio Thai lessons on my smartphone using the Wifi, though.

Basically, this "upgrade" is going to be a downgrade for many people

The only way they could get the public to swallow it is with rigged tests to local servers using ookla www.speedtest.Net......

If it tests near 100mbp/s most people will say wow, fantastic and be happy because they don't know any better..... sad.png

Seems like they probably haven't upgraded the bandwidth at all, just more creative marketing and smoke and mirrors on the speedtests so they can sell even more of it...

I posted an image of me getting the 100Mb on an american newsgroup server (that is real life usage not a test). So for me it works. When I had 50Mb before I also got the 50Mb but only on newsgroups with multiple connections. Its lightning fast this way. So they certainly did upgrade.

Upgrade: speed goes up but Qos goes down. Btw why is everybody focusing on speed not on QoS?

"Everybody" isn't - see my previous posts.

I don't believe for one second that this sort of speedtest result means I will have a fast and reliable service.

5228094982.png