Western Teachers in Thailand

Blackheart

Of course they're qualified. You think I hang out with the kind of loser that takes a 30k baht a month joke job just to stay I the country?

Why is someone who takes a 30K per month teaching job just to stay in the country necessarily a loser? They may have bundles of cash back home but, for someone under 50, this may be their only recourse to legally stay in the Kingdom without a never-ending series of Tourist Visas or some other dubious means.
Who wants their kids taught by somebody who only took the job so they could stay in Thailand?

Indeed sir,

I recall hearing this very phrase many times when I would find myself at the weekly 'Teacher Meets' at a well known bar in Nana Plaza which sadly was also my local and the finest bar on the Plaza, before they would head off up to Angelwitch or Hollywood for a nights whoring.....

Almost every week I would have someone sidle up to me and say "I wouldn't want any of these perverts/weirdos/deviants/whoremongers/pissheads etc....teaching my kids, would you?" to which I would reply strongly in the negative and pity the poor Thais who had no choice in the matter....

Give us a break. You don't half talk b0ll0cks. Where did you copy and paste that hate mail from? Your kids are lucky to have an English teacher. Talk about defamation of character.

If you're in Thailand and teach up to you. If you're retired up to you. Etc....

To mock a foreigner in Thailand is wrong. To call them negative names, label them with negative stereo types, p1ss on them, is out of order and should be stopped. Each person is unique, each person is trying to get along and its none of mine or your business. Who are you to say what people can do in Thailand. The world is smaller and you have to get used to that, more foreigners will arrive and decide to work here. They're not here to replace you, they're here because they can see what you saw when you first came here and want that life too. Stop the hate and give the new guys a break. You were new once or is it that long you've forgotten!

To mock a foreigner in Thailand is wrong.

Oh believe me I will mock and knock these TEFLr types all day long.

Its my dime that is paying for it.

Lad came back from skool with big red marx on his homework.

Told the Pinoy teacher you cant speak Engelrish.

Branded a trouble maker.

No worries will take my money elsewhere, and the kid.

Actually I was first sent here by a large MNC, you aint here to replace me becoz you aint got my skills.

When I first came here I saw 5 star hotels and per diems.

more foreigners will arrive and decide to work here

Thankfully immigration and Thai labour courts will take care of that.

What a load of crap. I know loads of English teachers who could easily do something better back home, and a fair proportion are women. They stay because the lifestyle is so seductive. I worry for them because I had a career outside of Thailand, and they don't. I think a year or two here on their CV is OK, more is a problem. We have to distinguish between articulate Western Graduates, maybe with some work experience, who come here as an "experience", and foreigners with minimal language skills who come here for economic reasons. The Sexpat thing is dying, maybe 10 years ago it was viable, now I don't know so much, times change.

What a load of crap. I know loads of English teachers who could easily do something better back home, and a fair proportion are women. They stay because the lifestyle is so seductive. I worry for them because I had a career outside of Thailand, and they don't. I think a year or two here on their CV is OK, more is a problem. We have to distinguish between articulate Western Graduates, maybe with some work experience, who come here as an "experience", and foreigners with minimal language skills who come here for economic reasons. The Sexpat thing is dying, maybe 10 years ago it was viable, now I don't know so much, times change.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Considering the jobs created by it, and the incomes generated from it, unless the Thais have a Blessed Virgin's epiphany, the Sexpat "thing" will remain a well-maintained, and functioning cash cow, in the LOS. You can bank on it.