Life in the middle of nowhere.

grrr

Hi.

I'm a young(ish) American getting into my second year of living in Thailand, and have recently moved from Chiang Mai to Sangkhlaburi, Kanchanaburi Province (near Three Pagoda Pass/Burma in central western Thailand). Though not what I'm starting this thread to discuss...I've been living very happily with my non-bar Thai girlfriend for 10 months now and am very content with my relationship.

So...I've moved from a city with all sorts of western food, culture (movies, art, music, even bowling, etc.) to a very remote town. This was a joint decision between my girlfriend and myself...and after two months here we are still not sure if it was a good idea. We live in a Mon (http://monland.org) village and there are VERY few farang around here. Very few Thai people as well...mostly Mon and Karen people from Burma. Somedays I really feel like I've "dropped out" a little too far, but somedays I'm very happy and into things going on around here. I have some good Mon friends and there is no shortage of culture...but it's just not western. It is interesting for my girlfriend (from Chiang Rai) as she is can relate to being an outsider with me.

Anyway, anyone else out there moved to some remote, rural part of Thailand? How are you surviving? We can always move again (if I have a telephone line and Internet I have a job), but I'm interested in hearing from other people "roughing it" outside of BKK.

:ghostface:

Hi Im also live in a remote location, not as remote as yours sounds. I am interested how you say if you have internet etc you can work . I was working until recently in the South, but unfortunatley that job is over. I would love to hear what you are working at?  ???

I have my own website programming/design/hosting business. At this point I make enough to live pretty ok in Thailand, but if I ever go back to America/Europe, etc. I think I'd have to get a lot more work or a *gasp* real job.

Wow it is hot here now.

Getting new clients is a lot harder than it used to be...almost anything I get now is usually based on a recommendation of a present client. Today I lost a longtime client due to a change of career...which means 3,200B less a month for me! Anyone need a new website?

You could contact the GuestHouse in the region, and offer them to build a web presence for them ... in exchange for free accomodation/food or even THB. The local tourist attraction could be another target.

http://www.guesthousethai.com/

I used to stay in the P Guest House in SANGKHLABURI.

http://www.vassl.com/writings/pguesthouse.htm