How early can I apply for a 60 day extension of stay based on marriage?

Hi,

I am currently in Thailand on a SETV which expires on the 27th April. I am going to the Ampher Monday with the future mrs to marry next week on Monday 4th. This is all being done in Nathon, Koh Samui.

I was wondering if I could go past the immigration office on my way back from the Ampher with my marriage certificate and get a 60 day extension, which will be 24 days before my current stamp expires.

If not how early am I able to apply for the 60 day extension?

Any advice as always greatly appreciated.

thanks

It's 30 days before expiry of your current stay permit. You could apply for a yearly extension of stay based on marriage.

That is good news thank you.

My long term plan is to obtain the 1 year extension, but I only put the 400k into my thai bank earlier this month so needs some more seasoning time.

I was also under the impression that to get the 1 year extension I would need to enter the country on a non imm visa not the tourist one I have currently entered on. Unless I take a trip to Bangkok to convert it.

I would personally prefer if this is the case to take a trip to Penang for a few days as I haven't yet been there and obtain a single entry non imm based on marriage and then apply for the 1 year extension when that is expiring.

If though I am wrong and I can extend for a year on the back of a tourist plus a 60 day extension (in nathon) then please let me know as this will save a few bhat!

You might be able to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on Monday since it will be less than 30 days but many offices will not do a short term extension that early. You may have to wait until the last two weeks of your permit to stay.

Your new wife will need will need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of her house book registry and ID card. Plus copies of the relevant pages of you passport and departure card.

Edit: In reply to your last post. You might want to consider getting the single entry non-o instead of applying for the 60 day extension. Penang will only want to see the money in bank on the date you apply for the visa. It does not have to be in the bank for 2 months to apply for the visa.

You might be able to apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife on Monday since it will be less than 30 days but many offices will not do a short term extension that early. You may have to wait until the last two weeks of your permit to stay.

Your new wife will need will need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of her house book registry and ID card. Plus copies of the relevant pages of you passport and departure card.

Thanks Ubonjoe

I think I will just pop in next week on my way back anyway as we will have all the paperwork to hand as the same stuff is needed to register the marriage and hope for the best.

Going a bit off topic I am planning to buy a car in the very near future as well and need a proof of residence from immigration to put the car in my name. Do you know if under my current circumstances when getting the extension stamp I will qualify to be able to get the proof of residence as well?

Thanks Ubonjoe

I think I will just pop in next week on my way back anyway as we will have all the paperwork to hand as the same stuff is needed to register the marriage and hope for the best.

Going a bit off topic I am planning to buy a car in the very near future as well and need a proof of residence from immigration to put the car in my name. Do you know if under my current circumstances when getting the extension stamp I will qualify to be able to get the proof of residence as well?

You need to go back and read the edit I did to my post while you were doing yours.

Not sure what policy Samui immigration has for doing a certificate of residence. Many offices will not do it unless you have at least a non immigrant visa entry.

Thanks Ubonjoe

You need to go back and read the edit I did to my post while you were doing yours.

Not sure what policy Samui immigration has for doing a certificate of residence. Many offices will not do it unless you have at least a non immigrant visa entry.

Yes not a bad idea, thanks for all the advice