CTH - bars being fined for streaming EPL

Chiengmaijoe

The biggest?

Do tell.

clap2.gif

Ya I got a laugh out of that. He asks if any one has heard or other bars being fined and automatically People claim there are bars being fined. Not one single name mentioned.

Perfect opportunity to slyly bash the Police.thumbsup.gif

The biggest?

Do tell.

clap2.gif

Ya I got a laugh out of that. He asks if any one has heard or other bars being fined and automatically People claim there are bars being fined. Not one single name mentioned.

Is it even possible for you to make a post without the claps, ROFLs and thumbs up?

I didn't mention the name of a bar because although I have no reason to doubt the guy that told me, I don't know that it is absolutely true, (it's possible that he heard it from someone else, which doesn't mean it isn't true) which is exactly why I asked if anyone had first hand experience.

My other motive was to give a warning to barowners that might be streaming EPL that there is a possibility that they could be facing problems.

Nobody in Thailand needs to invent reasons to bash the police, slyly or not.

a few bars I know have that Vietnam channel, Which shows epl , And there is a cable one that does the same,

CTH owns the sole right to broadcasting EPL in Thailand.

It was also mentioned that the police said showing the EPL on the vietnamese channel K+, via WETV cable is illegal too! My question would be who is more liable, the broadcaster (WETV) or the bar-owner that subscribes to WETV?

My view is that this is , as someone else mentioned, a new version of the Music Police scam. I would have thought that this is something between CTH and the bar and not the police and the bar. Nonetheless, it is something that bar-owners might want to know about, true or not, assuming we can get approval from the cynics and doubters, who no doubt don't own a bar but feel compelled to comment anyway.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

a few bars I know have that Vietnam channel, Which shows epl , And there is a cable one that does the same,

It was also mentioned that the police said showing the EPL on the vietnamese channel K+, via WETV cable is illegal too! My question would be who is more liable, the broadcaster (WETV) or the bar-owner that subscribes to WETV?

My view is that this is , as someone else mentioned, a new version of the Music Police scam. I would have thought that this is something between CTH and the bar and not the police and the bar. Nonetheless, it is something that bar-owners might want to know about, true or not, assuming we can get approval from the cynics and doubters, who no doubt don't own a bar but feel compelled to comment anyway.

CTH may well own the rights to broadcast the EPL in Thailand but that does not giver them the rights on receiving and showing. Having the rights to broadcast their role surely must be to make their service the logical choice. How anyone decided to receive the game is a different matter. Their actions in receiving and or public showing may be illegal but that is not a matter for CTH or anyone else with certain rights. For example the FA cup rights are I understand with Thai terrestrial TV yet they showed very few games yet is was possible to see the games live via other routes.

Non of this may matter when incentives are involved of course.

Edited by alant

The biggest?

Do tell.

clap2.gif

Is it even possible for you to make a post without the claps, ROFLs and thumbs up?wai.gif

I didn't mention the name of a bar because although I have no reason to doubt the guy that told me, I don't know that it is absolutely true, (it's possible that he heard it from someone else, which doesn't mean it isn't true) which is exactly why I asked if anyone had first hand experience.

My other motive was to give a warning to barowners that might be streaming EPL that there is a possibility that they could be facing problems.

Nobody in Thailand needs to invent reasons to bash the police, slyly or not.

Yes it is possible.

Is it possible for you to let me post how I feel about it?

CTH may well own the rights to broadcast the EPL in Thailand but that does not giver them the rights on receiving and showing. Having the rights to broadcast their role surely must be to make their service the logical choice. How anyone decided to receive the game is a different matter. Their actions in receiving and or public showing may be illegal but that is not a matter for CTH or anyone else with certain rights. For example the FA cup rights are I understand with Thai terrestrial TV yet they showed very few games yet is was possible to see the games live via other routes.

Broadcasting and public performance is illegal if the the rights to what is being played in public are owned by someone and their permission or licence has not been obtained.

Broadcasting and public performance is illegal if the the rights to what is being played in public are owned by someone and their permission or licence has not been obtained.

Bit of a grey area this in my opinion. Both K+ and Skynet (Myanmar) have bought the rights to screen the EPL, customers of these two satellite providers have paid to get these systems installed . Are the customers wrong and receiving illegally ? My thinking says no they are not as they have paid to receive. Should CTH feel aggrieved ? Yes I believe they should be , but they should not be chasing and fining users, they should be chasing K+ and Skynet. Here in China, I have both TrueVisions and Skynet, which between them gives me a huge amount of sports channels, but that's in my private residence. I know a very big western bar here that has Skynet for the basic reason, the EPL shown "legally" in China has the soundtrack in Chinese, and deemed not suitable for a western bar.

Well, maybe the bars wont have to worry about it anymore. As of this morning, all my premium channels on CTH are coming up with a "no signal" or "not broadcasting" message. The normal terrestrial stuff (channel 3, 7 etc.) are still working.

I remember 10 or so years ago when every man and his dog had a dodgy satellite with a box of varying quality and burned card, which were all of excellent quality it seemed, owners of such beasties would have to rescan their channels every 6 weeks or so but that was the only complaint. There was much quite interesting discussion on local tech as well as legal forums as to whether this was civil or a matter for the courts. The legal forums concluded that this was a very grey area, and it would be interesting if one of the pay TV providers decided to have a test case.

Who is going to post :

"Someone aint been paying the tea money"?

It gets posted in every thread

probably the same ones that post

" tit, quality tourists, it happens all over the world, thainess" (im bored now) ......and " you aint in kansas now dorothy" zzzzzzzzzzzz

Given the cost of purchasing the EPL rights for 3 years it's very surprising that it has been allowed to go on for so long,the biggest online operators such as ilikehd and 365 sport are the ones who really are getting away with murder so to speak.

This issue was addressed several years ago in the UK when pubs were showing EPL matches via foreign satellite dishes,hence why now any official Sky Broadcasts come with a small icon in the corner and a number flashed on the screen for each box.

It will be a sad day when these cheap online services do get wiped out if and when they do but with the advent of Kodi and android boxes etc the easiest solution would be to allow people to subscribe via the Internet for a fee from the official rights holder,in this instance CTH.

What's more interesting is what happens next season when beIN take over,they are certainly more clued up than CTH as they are prominent in the global pay TV market and may not take the issue so lightly.

As with everything here much depends on the local laws and people enforcing them.

The bottom line is like myself,why pay the likes of CTH or True or whom ever broadcasts the EPL or any major sporting events,movies etc 2100 baht a month when you can pay 450 baht or in many instances nothing via the Internet.

Edited by stoneyboy

Well, maybe the bars wont have to worry about it anymore. As of this morning, all my premium channels on CTH are coming up with a "no signal" or "not broadcasting" message. The normal terrestrial stuff (channel 3, 7 etc.) are still working.

All working in my home. Maybe you should check again?

You are partly right Stoneyboy & in your own home the boxes & lesser payment etc is legal./

But in a public place different rules apply & CTH can if they wished make things very uncomfortable for owners.

The police would get involved & would have no choice but to back CTH

You are partly right Stoneyboy & in your own home the boxes & lesser payment etc is legal./

But in a public place different rules apply & CTH can if they wished make things very uncomfortable for owners.

The police would get involved & would have no choice but to back CTH

Yes indeed,the cost of showing EPL is significantly higher for a business than home use,this is the same in the UK and sadly prices many pubs out of the market so it's not really a good thing for viewers.

It's all about the dollar and if you've paid substantial fees as is the case with CTH this last time the rights was purchased one has to wonder why they have been so lax at allowing this to happen.

That said they are merely amateurs in the Pay TV world that much is evident from the moment they rolled out their new boxes and dishes etc.

Another issue here is who is enforcing these rules and who is getting a back hander.

Edited by stoneyboy

Thanks. Just checked again (10:38) and still no premium services. Tried Stadium 1-6, Nat Geo and Sky News. Called the daughter and her premium channels aren't working either. We are both in the Khon Kaen area.

I also noticed that when I turn the box off, the time display says 03:38 rather than 10:38.

C Band dish?

Oh don't talk such rubbish, they have the broadcast rights for Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and you are breaching their copyright if you show it on any other platform.

If they were only an "alternative" they wouldn't have paid $300 million for the rights.

Any broadcaster will take action to protect their property, Sky do it, BeIn do it and even the EPL do it.

In fact to show CTH in a bar or restaurant, you are supposed to have the appropriate subscription, which IIRC is charged according to the number of TVs and their size, although they were flexible on this when they first started.

FYI they raided and fined a load of pubs in Samui in 2015.

But that doesn't mean this rumour is true, especially if the OP heard it from a bloke in a pub.

biggrin.png

Thanks. Just checked again (10:38) and still no premium services. Tried Stadium 1-6, Nat Geo and Sky News. Called the daughter and her premium channels aren't working either. We are both in the Khon Kaen area.

I also noticed that when I turn the box off, the time display says 03:38 rather than 10:38.

There is a whole thread on the history of why this is happening

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885184-gmm-z-pay-tv-package-termination-service-ending-message/

but I will repost the explanation here (post#298)

"This was expected and announced by scrolling messages (Thai only!) along the bottom of the screen on many channels. CTH have stopped broadcasting the pay channels on the C Band as from midnight April 1st.

They can now only be received if you get a KU band dish, a different construction, which receives broadcasts from a different satellite and must be pointed in a different direction.

Tough luck on people like me who live in a condo building which does not have this dish and is unlikely to install one."