Ex-Pheu Thai spokesman and colleague are to be released 2 months ahead of their jailterm

webfact

Ex-Pheu Thai spokesman and colleague are to be released 2 months ahead of their jailterm

image.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- Former Pheu Thai party spokesman Prompong Nopparat and former Pheu Thai MP Kiat-udom Manasawat are to be released from prison two months ahead of their jailterm due to their good conduct.

Mr Kobkiat Kasiwiwat, deputy permanent secretary for justice, said Thursday that the two former Pheu Thai MPs were sentenced to one year each without any suspension of their jailterm for defaming Mr Wasant Soypisut, former president of the Constitutional Court.

The two men were imprisoned on July 24, 2015. But because of their good conduct in prison, the Corrections Department decided to suspend their jailterm by one-fifths which means that they will be released two months ahead of their one-year jailterm.

Both are due to be freed on May 11.

Mr Kobkiat maintained that their premature release was not a special case but a normal procedure for prisoners with good conduct.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/157768

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-01

I don't know about Thailand! But the corrections department in the USA is crooked as hell. It would not surprise me if someone was paid off for this early release. But then again, you never know. These guys must have had a lot of money to throw around while in jail. Maybe their behavior allowed their early release for real.

But the corrections department in the USA is crooked as hell.

Sorry, off topic but: What particular corrections department are you talking about? For your assistance, there is a federal corrections department (and a few divisions of that), then there's a state corrections department for each of the 50 states for their state prisons, and then there are county correction departments in every county (parish in LA) of every state that handle their county jails (which generally house inmates receiving sentences of 1 year or less).

There's no basis in fact for anybody to suggest that the two Thai guys were released early other than for the reasons cited in the article.

I don't know about Thailand! But the corrections department in the USA is crooked as hell. It would not surprise me if someone was paid off for this early release. But then again, you never know. These guys must have had a lot of money to throw around while in jail. Maybe their behavior allowed their early release for real.

They should never have been jailed in the first place on the blx charge of defamation. You know that as well as I do. As it is, they were given time off for good behaviour.

Archived