The right text and work books for English, math and science...

"^Jeez, what's with all these grammar police?

Ever heard of the heat, tiredness, lack of coffee, fingers and thumbs, too many beers or mind on something more important that just could be affecting one's writing?

Sheesh.....coffee1.gif"

Jeez, ever heard of those non native speakers that can't write or speak English correctly, but profess that they can?

Grade three paid entrants? Wow! - a tough one to choose suitable books for, if they have little or no previous English experience.

Whichever books you end up using, I'll wager the kids will have difficulty in understanding the particular subject being taught.

As i already said, try to get the easiest of the books if you possibly can - whatever books you end up getting, you'll be relying on your teaching experience to help you pass on whatever information to the kids. Not an impossible job, but perhaps not an easy one, either. Still, you've been around for quite a while, so I don't doubt you'll manage without too many problems.

Good luck with your classes, mate - if just one kid improves along the way, then it's all worth it.

Cheers smile.png

Grade three paid entrants? Wow! - a tough one to choose suitable books for, if they have little or no previous English experience.

Whichever books you end up using, I'll wager the kids will have difficulty in understanding the particular subject being taught.

As i already said, try to get the easiest of the books if you possibly can - whatever books you end up getting, you'll be relying on your teaching experience to help you pass on whatever information to the kids. Not an impossible job, but perhaps not an easy one, either. Still, you've been around for quite a while, so I don't doubt you'll manage without too many problems.

Good luck with your classes, mate - if just one kid improves along the way, then it's all worth it.

Cheers smile.png

Thanks. Our grade six Thai English teacher who's somehow involved in buying new books decided that Let's Go would be too difficult, because she didn't understand certain questions of a grade two English book. Lol...

It seems that they'll take the books from the company that pays enough for the teacher who makes the order...... It's sad, but true, not just at our school.

Nothing is impossible, so I'll do my best with what I've got and produced with my own hands over the years. Yep, and some experience is something you have to have when you're doing such a job.

Without any live experience, the kids will eat you alive, no matter what you've leaned in a 150 hour TESOL course.

Where I sometimes get a kick out is when my Thai colleagues go through a whole book, while maybe only five kids can follow and finally understand the assignments. Homework is never made at home and usually the parents do their kids' work.

There's a book company selling "Express" English books with mostly wrong vocabulary, sentence structure and a lot of stuff is explained in Thai, which seems to be their favorite books.

But nothing in Thai should be used in such an environment and students will have to start thinking in English. That's when the learning part starts, of course in my own humble opinion.

One question in "Express" is "what happen when you go under sun?" The right answer ( sadly also the only grammatically positive answer) is: You'll get a fever." That's from the translation from Thai into English and would be more a sort of a heatstroke.

The damage that's done thru such books is immense. But, who cares? The show must go on.I kept the PC's running, put lovely programs on and I'm just wondering who'll do that in the future. I decided to stop wasting my free time.

The only existing water dispenser already broke down in the first term. I drove the dam thing around trying to find a shop that could fix it. Nil.

Money for two new dispensers. Nil. now the kids of parents who pay relatively good money have to walk a long way to drink some hot tap water?

Would you see their filthy filter system, you wouldn't even brush your teeth with this water.

And hopefully one or two very experienced teachers will show up in May. But wait, not too many really experienced teachers would work under such circumstances.

The one teacher from Asia won't be back, so it seems that there'll be a three teacher shortage. When I'm also leaving, there'll be chaos.

But they obviously do deserve a chaos in form of a wake up call.

"But nothing in Thai should be used in such an environment and students will have to start thinking in English. That's when the learning part starts, of course in my own humble opinion. "

Totally incorrect, the students will translate, work out the answer/do the exercise and then re-translate back into English, no way, no how they will be thinking in English.

If these are the New English Express books (I believe there are many different "Express"
books) then I know these ones. They're actually not too bad - there are certainly worse books around.
Personally, I don't agree with the contents of all of the units - some units can be very good, while
others are not too informative or encompass subjects that the students will have no or very little use for,
at least in English. One or two units in the grade 5 & 6 books are just plain boring. Still all in all
they cover most of what is needed.

I tend to include other things that are not found in the books, especially after noticing that
grade 6 students didn't know (for example) "plus" and "minus", as they'd apparently never been taught these.
Silly, really, as this can be considered 'everyday' stuff and very useful, too - and they have to know these
signs later on in Matayom, anyway. Too, it enables being able to make fun competitions for the kids to practice
their English.
I note that grade 1 MEP classes are required to learn all basic math signs.

One thing that still bothers me a lot. Some of my 'normal' kids later go on to study in
MEP classes. All well and good and I'm happy that they have the chance to improve
themselves even further. But - I (and others) have noticed that after a while, these same kids
actually speak far less English than when they were just 'normal' kids. Some of the earlier
'chatterboxes' even tend to shy away from having to answer a simple question in English, that they've
answered hundreds (well, almost!) of times before. I'm not in any way involved with MEP
classes, so I still can't figure that one out .....

Cheers smile.png

^^^^ Sharing is caring. wai.gif

To "Somtamnication"

Is your message just to say thank you for sharing stuff OR would you also like a copy of the worksheet too ?

Sorry for asking but your message could be taken both ways.

Speedo1968

Sorry, not been on for days. Yes, please share.

I have a plethora of stuff as well. More than happy to reciprocate.

Archived