Sailor dies in yacht race, swept overboard in Pacific

rooster59

Sailor dies in yacht race, swept overboard in Pacific

The Associated Press

A sailor died after she was swept overboard in the Pacific while heading to Seattle in the Clipper Round The World Yacht Race.

Sarah Young, a 40-year-old businesswoman from London, was washed into the sea by a wave while tending to the mainsail in winds of up to 46 mph, organizers said Friday. Her body was recovered by her crew one hour later but she never regained consciousness.

The cause of death has not been confirmed but is thought to be drowning or exposure. All other crew members are safe.

The accident on the IchorCoal boat happened during the ninth of 14 stages in the race. The boats were going from Qingdao, China, to Seattle and had about 3,700 miles to go.

"The safety of our crew has always been and continues to be our main priority and we shall investigate the incident immediately in full cooperation with the authorities," Clipper Race founder Robin Knox-Johnston said.

The 46,000-mile race is in its 10th edition. It features 12 identical 70-foot and began in London in August. It finishes in London at the end of July.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-02

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that is the second crew member to die from that boat.

British sailor dies in Clipper Round The World Race

His boat, sponsored by South African firm IchorCoal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/11846310/British-sailor-dies-in-Clipper-Round-The-World-Race-freak-accident.html

https://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/andrew-ashman-fatal-injury-official-statement

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/fatality-statement--sarah-young

Edited by Scotwight

I was accepted for this race around 12 years ago. I remember going for an interview in Southampton. Then the cost for the whole thing was, as I recall, about 28,000 pounds. I xould raise the money but couldn't get the time off work as I was nearing retirement age.

Subsequently I read a book by someone who had done it. Said, although it sounded glamerous the reality was it was day after day of doing shifts, getting soaked and not sleeping properly. The stopovers at the various ports was, the highlight. But, a big adventure no doubt and I would have gone had my bosses allowed me to have 8 months off work.

Such a shame about this woman and the other guy. That boat will be designated as a Jonas boat in folklore. (I think that's the word)

When sailing offshore we had an understanding amongst us. Clip in or do not clip

in, up to you. But if you go overboard you are going to die. It is almost impossible

to keep a visual on a MOB even in average weather/sea state and to get the boat

turned around and back to the area is not quick. RIP to the lady and condolences

to the family, friends, and crew of the boat. sad.png

The rule on my boat was always at night you are jacketed and clipped on.... No exceptions..!

During the daytime your decision... Weather depending...

There was and probably always will be a certain bravado attitude amongst sailors... It is the skippers prerogative to remove that option... As the consequences are too costly

So very sad to read this report.... But ...

Edited by Robm579

Just 2 nights ago I watched an enjoyable video called 'Maiden Voyage.' It's about the youngest person to sail around the world. She was 15 when she started, from Holland, and 17 when finished. While watching the video, I distinctly recall noticing her being tethered all the time she was on deck (self photographed, of course). I recommend the movie.