Lao Arlines to Louang Phabang

Mekong Bob

planning 5-day visit to Louang Phabang in April or May.

Lao Airlines from Chiang Mai, round-trip.

Visa upon arrival possible? visa fee for USA citizen?

Is there a local travel agency which can get visa for me?

Thank you.

Yes, you can get VOA. I think it's $35 for a US citizen. You cannot get a Thai visa in Luang Prabang at all. You must get it, in person, in Vientiane if you want to get a Thai visa in Laos.

SiamReaper

Won't be needing a Thai visa upon my return from LPQ, but I would be interested in acquiring a Lao tourist visa prior to boarding the flight here in Chiang Mai. No waiting in line! Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

Yes, you can get VOA. I think it's $35 for a US citizen. You cannot get a Thai visa in Luang Prabang at all. You must get it, in person, in Vientiane if you want to get a Thai visa in Laos.

SiamReaper

Won't be needing a Thai visa upon my return from LPQ, but I would be interested in acquiring a Lao tourist visa prior to boarding the flight here in Chiang Mai. No waiting in line! Is there a way to do that?

Thanks!

It is but the effort:expenditure:return rule says it's not worth it - you could go to their embassy in Bangkok and apply for a visa before you arrive. The folks in Lao are actually pretty good at processing visas quickly and you won't save much time in exchange for that huge side trip - the only real investment of time is filling in the paperwork... it must be the longest VOA form in the world but once that's done - it's usually about 3-5 minutes before you're on your way again.

I have done the VOA to Laos about 40-50 times. The forms take me about 2 minutes to fill in. The Immigration staff aren't particular about the details. Have the following ready- $ U.S.35,Passport photo,your passport and Thai visa Info.,your proposed address in Luang Prabang.......Easy !!!