SURVEY: Should drunk drivers have license revoked and vehicle impounded?

Scott

SURVEY: Drunk drivers, what to do?  

268 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the "No, of course not. It's not like taking away a DL suddenly makes you incapable of driving a vehicle and we know already know that many people either don't have one, won it in the lottery or shouldn't have gotten one in the first place, but that hasn't stopped people from driving. And because impounding will equal to not steep enough of a dent into the pocket, why bother because the lesson just won't stick. BUT....why don't you just ban alcohol sales on holidays, that sounds alot more sound and reasonable to the people in charge" option?

I don't think the idea of taking a license is supposed yo make people incapable of driving, that's ridiculous. But as a deterrent? Not if people don't have a license. But together with the vehicle being impounded (it should be crushed in my opinion) it might work. Add on a mandatory 30 days in prison like Sweden does then it might have an impact. Stop selling alcohol during holiday periods? No for three reasons. First and most obvious is the fact that people can buy alcohol a day before the holidays to keep at home. Two, you will be penalising responsible drinkers. Three, it will inpact tourism, who would want to go on holiday and not be able to enjoy a bottle of wine with their meal or not be able to go to a club for a dance and a bevvy?

Alcohol is a dangerous drug, if it wasn't for the Governments making Trillions from Tax it would be illegal with the same drug classification as Heroin, Cocaine etc.

There should be no room for error, any amount of Alcohol at all should be illegal when driving a car.

Alcohol is a dangerous drug, if it wasn't for the Governments making Trillions from Tax it would be illegal with the same drug classification as Heroin, Cocaine etc.

There should be no room for error, any amount of Alcohol at all should be illegal when driving a car.

Absolutely true and well said.

A but unfair on heroin which in its pure form is harmless compared to alcohol.

70% of crimes are caused by alcohol in the UK. Add on the misery it causes to families and individuals and you see it obviously should be banned.

That's the least they should get.

For the Thais it's not an issue anyway, most don't have a license, or insurance, or vehicle registration....

Is that so? Strange how all Thais I know have ask these things. Are you talking about what your girlfriends acquaintances do?

70% of crimes are caused by alcohol in the UK. Add on the misery it causes to families and individuals and you see it obviously should be banned.

laugh.png

Heroin folk are toooo spaced out to do feeeeeeeerk all.........cheesy.gif

I'd bet my bottom dollar you are a heavy/problem drinker with such an inappropriate response.

Where is the "No, of course not. It's not like taking away a DL suddenly makes you incapable of driving a vehicle and we know already know that many people either don't have one, won it in the lottery or shouldn't have gotten one in the first place, but that hasn't stopped people from driving. And because impounding will equal to not steep enough of a dent into the pocket, why bother because the lesson just won't stick. BUT....why don't you just ban alcohol sales on holidays, that sounds alot more sound and reasonable to the people in charge" option?

5555! ban alcohol on holidays! the sign of someone whos never set foot in thailand.

.......coming up next, closing all girly bars because prostitution is illegal....

A man I know well was arrested for drink driving last week, guess what.. he was banned from driving for 6 months, he was also fined and given a suspended sentence.

He did spend some time in a cell.

Its up to the judge what to do in such cases, its not up to voters on a forum.

Its also worth mentioning that initially the officer that stopped him suggested a 300 baht "tip" to let him go on his way, he declined to pay the tip and by the time a more senior officer was involved it was too late.

One of my Thai friends crashed his car (he hit a tree) while under the influence of alcohol. 50,000 Baht fine, revoked licence but he didn't get any jail time as the judge thought that 4 weeks in hospital was enough punishment...

There should be a Zero tolerance to drink driving, No Alcohol at all, saves any confusion about limits.

Convicted Farangs would face deportation and a ban from re-entering Thailand for 1 year, that would, or should, put a stop to the countless Farangs that drink and drive, the threat of deportation hanging over their heads would stop all but the hopeless Alcoholic who should be taken off the road permanently anyway.

I don't get all these limits, there should be only one limit, Zero Alcohol.

I agree with you on the no limit idea. Why the need to sit around wondering if you can suck down another drink after having one liter of water if the temperature was less than 30 and it was an over cast day?

laugh.png

Heroin folk are toooo spaced out to do feeeeeeeerk all.........cheesy.gif

I'd bet my bottom dollar you are a heavy/problem drinker with such an inappropriate response.

You reckon....Come and visit this old guy....We can go to the gym and lift weights..

Pm me for the address.....Oh, as an ex cab driver I know all about drunks and needle folk.........Come visit me..........laugh.png

Omg. Nothing worse than a sad old drunken cabbie thinking he's tough on a web forum.