Visa Run to Vientiane, Laos

rooster59

3 additions/comments:

- you could stay overnight in Nong Khai and cross the border in the morning and go straight to the Thai consulate.

- if you don't like traveling on a bus or van, fly to Udon. Much easier.

- In Vientiane, you actually have to go to the Thai consulate, not the embassy.

3 additions/comments:

- you could stay overnight in Nong Khai and cross the border in the morning and go straight to the Thai consulate.

It would be the consular section of the embassy just as, for example, citizen services and visa applications at the US Embassy in Bangkok are undertaken by the consular section of the embassy.

My opinion is for people who have not experienced the Laos visa run before, or for those who did but were not paying attention.

I've done the round-trip visa run twice in a van from Bkk. Both times having very reckless drivers who tailgate even

My opinion is for people who have not experienced the Laos visa run before, or for those who did but were not paying attention.

I've done the round-trip visa run twice in a van from Bkk. Both times having very reckless drivers who tailgate even large trucks which you can't see around at high speeds. I'm talking almost kissing bumpers at 100 kph+! Almost had several accidents. Experienced one event of road rage by another vehicle who apparently didn't appreciate how our driver was driving. No seat belts in the last round-trip van, except for the front left seat (where you will actually be the first to die)! Same driver drives each 8-hour leg. He will only take two to three 20 minute gas station/bathroom breaks (+ a 45 minute dinner break on the return to Bkk). Also, I noted a huge lack of highway safety features. There are many large trees or worse along the dark highway which aren't even separated by Thailand's substandard made guardrails. Some Krails were noted, but that is not the norm. It would only take a tire to blow to send your vehicle into a tree. Certain sudden death would probably be the outcome (if you were lucky). Think about it. Do you think the emergency services in rural Thailand are swift & competent? From now on I'm flying. By the way, like the brief video.

I've done the round-trip visa run twice in a van from Bkk. Both times having very reckless drivers who tailgate even large trucks which you can't see around at high speeds. I'm talking almost kissing bumpers at 100 kph+! Almost had several accidents. Experienced one event of road rage by another vehicle who apparently didn't appreciate how our driver was driving. No seat belts in the last round-trip van, except for the front left seat (where you will actually be the first to die)! Same driver drives each 8-hour leg. He will only take two to three 20 minute gas station/bathroom breaks (+ a 45 minute dinner break on the return to Bkk). Also, I noted a huge lack of highway safety features. There are many large trees or worse along the dark highway which aren't even separated by Thailand's substandard made guardrails. Some Krails were noted, but that is not the norm. It would only take a tire to blow to send your vehicle into a tree. Certain sudden death would probably be the outcome (if you were lucky). Think about it. Do you think the emergency services in rural Thailand are swift & competent? From now on I'm flying. By the way, like the brief video.

You can always go by train! It is quite comfortable and inexpensive. You don't have to take a van.

Gross stupidity.......24 hours in a Thai minibus = a million attempts on your life.

Fly to Udon, bus to Nong Khai and cross from there, or as Spock suggezts, take a train, ANYTHING before a minibus!!

Edited by F4UCorsair

3 additions/comments:

It would be the consular section of the embassy just as, for example, citizen services and visa applications at the US Embassy in Bangkok are undertaken by the consular section of the embassy.

fair point. I was just pointing this out because the consulate is in a different location than the embassy...but taxi drivers will know it.

Please advise - After reading some of the instructions on how to post an article on ThaiVisa, I just do get it. Can someone please advise me if there is a simple way to post? I have a question which I would like our community to provide feedback., Thank you so much.

whistling.gif Yes, I know it is a little more expensive.....but it is entirely possible fly directly from swampy to Vientianne airport as Lao Air has a daily direct flight.

You can get a visa on arrival in Vientianne at the airport.

I know, as I am partially disabled, and I've done it by air in a wheelchair.

You will however need to book a hotel near the Thai embassy....as the Lao Air flight arrives to late to got to the embassy to submit your visa application on the day you arrive.

So prepare to stay 3 days to get your visa instead of two days.