Road trip to laos, during 2 month tourist visa ?

I am planning 2 months in cnx, july to september,i was wondering if i go overland to pakse, southern laos, when back to thailand is my 2 month tourist visa still good or do i lose it & only get an additional 2 weeks because overland crossing. ?

regards songhklasid

Under normal circumstances, the permission to stay associated with a Single Entry Tourist Visa ends once you leave Thailand. However, you can get a reentry permit for 1,000 baht at an immigration office before leaving that allows you to come back with your original permission to stay still intact.

If you are from a G7 country you would get a 30 day entry at a border crossing instead of 15 days.

If not from a G7 country the re-entry permit to keep the 60 entry from your visa valid might be your best option.

whistling.gif The actual name of the Single Entry Tourist Visa (60 day visa) ought to give you a clue....single entry.

You can keep that visa current if you leave for a short trip out of Thailand by purchasing a single exit re-entry permit before you leave to keep your 60 day tourist visa valid before you leave and return.

• You'll be granted a 60 day permit to stay on entry to Thailand with the Tourist Visa.

If you exit Thailand anytime during the 60 days the permit to stay ends and when you return from Laos, if you qualify for Visa Exempt Entry (VEE) you'll be granted a new 15 or 30 (G7 countries) day stay.

If you want to keep the 60 day permit alive you can buy a re-entry permit from Immigration (1,000 baht). If you left after 20 days and stayed out of the country 5 days you would be granted 35 days on re-entry.

A re-entry is only worth buying if you have more of the 60 days left than you can get for free by re-entering with VEE or have a reason not to use VEE.

Edited by elviajero

By a G7 country, is that ASEAN ? I have australia passport, can I buy re-entry permit from border when i exit ? or from immigration office ?

G7 countries : - United States, Canada France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United Kingdom.

Re entry permits are best bought from an immigration office -----------not all borders can provide them

By a G7 country, is that ASEAN ? I have australia passport, can I buy re-entry permit from border when i exit ? or from immigration office ?

• You can't buy a re-entry permit at all land borders so probably best to get it from an Immigration office. It can be bought anytime in advance of your trip.
  • AUS is nor G7 so you'll get 15 days using Visa Exempt Entry. (G7 countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA.)
Edited by elviajero