Registering new born baby to mothers home province?

Kenny202

Baby born yesterday. Were now living in Khon Kaen. Wife currently has home for sale in Chaiyaphum province and we have no plans to return there. She has a blue book for her home and her registered Thai address is there.

We registered the baby's birth in Khon Kaen and have the birth certificate.

My missus is telling me we need to drive three hours back to her province / Amphur to have the baby recorded in her blue book or in future the baby won't have free medical, the world will end etc etc.

She knows we are selling the house and we won't be moving back there but she is adamant we need to do this as a first step and then after this is complete move the babies medical records to Khon Kaen. Makes no sense at all to me but many things don't in the LOS.

My thought is at least 90% of the population here would rent and probably don't have a blue book. If what she was saying was true none of them would have free medical. I understand a Thai person needs to be registered in the province they're living to go to hospital. My missus moved her medical from Chaiyaphum to KK. The baby was born in KK. Why would we need to do all that BS. Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by Kenny202

"My thought is at least 90% of the population here would rent and probably don't have a blue book"

All Thai nationals are registered in a Tabian Baan ! .

If you mistrust what your wife is saying then just pay a visit to the Amphur nearest to where you live. They will provide the info you seek if asked politely.

My daughter is registered on her grand mothers blue house book.

She has never lived there,my ex girlfriend is on the same book she hasn't lived there for 20 years.

It is a common practice here to be registered on a house book hundreds of kilometres from where people actually work or live.

The only issue is as you described,to rectify things or make changes you may have to travel back to the amphur where your registered.

Edited by stoneyboy

Many peopel are registered in a tabian ban far from where they live but it does cause problems, especially in terms of health care. It is also why each election all the itnerprovincial buses are packed with people criss-crossing the country.

I am surprised your wife was able to change her hospital registration to Khon Kaen without also changing her tabian ban registration since that is what it is usually based on.

There is no logic at all to the idea of registering the baby (i.e. adding the baby to the tabian ban) in Chaiyapum. Rather, your wife should change her registration to the tabian ban for the house you now live in, and add the baby while she is at it. However it may be true that in order to do this she has to travel to her old ampur and fill out a form there, I am not clear in that part. Suggest she ask at the new ampur.

If you just bought or built a house, should have a tabian ban for it, just a matter of adding her and the babies' name. If you are not owners of the house, the owner will have a tabian ban and she and the baby can be listed in that. Owner has to go to the ampur with her to request that she be added.

"My thought is at least 90% of the population here would rent and probably don't have a blue book"

If you mistrust what your wife is saying then just pay a visit to the Amphur nearest to where you live. They will provide the info you seek if asked politely.

mistrust probably not the right word. Lack of confidence yes. We've gone up many a wrong soi before. To be fair not always her fault. Clarity here is not a common thing. I would not be surprised even if we did the trip to Chaiyaphum we'd be told the person handling that area was away.

We are renting and for her to be listed on his blue book as you say he needs to hand over his blue book for a couple of weeks. The landlord lives in another province also so him coming to the Amphur probably isn't going to happen.

Let me put it another way...what happens if we don't register the baby on my wife's blue book in another province?

mistrust probably not the right word. Lack of confidence yes. We've gone up many a wrong soi before. To be fair not always her fault. Clarity here is not a common thing. I would not be surprised even if we did the trip to Chaiyaphum we'd be told the person handling that area was away.

We are renting and for her to be listed on his blue book as you say he needs to hand over his blue book for a couple of weeks. The landlord lives in another province also so him coming to the Amphur probably isn't going to happen.

Let me put it another way...what happens if we don't register the baby on my wife's blue book in another province?

If the baby is not entered into a Tabian Baan the child will be unable to access "free" health care and will be unable to obtain a Thai passport or (later) a Thai ID card.

Yes, the baby does need to be in a tabian ban. Bit being in one in a province other than where you live could create problems accessing health care, attending school later etc.

There is no need for the blue book to be handed over for any length of time. It is a single trip to the ampur to get her and the baby added. From what I have heard, it is often possible to get added first and then go to the old place to have one's name removed later, though it depends on the ampur.

If you are on an extension of stay for reason of marriage, you may run into problems extending in KK if your wife's tabian ban is another province.

The free medical refers to the "Gold Card" Scheme. You can choose the hospital of care at the district office.

But yes, everyone needs to be on some form of Tabien Ban in order to enjoy this scheme. And no, 90% of people rent in a different province that they were born does not mean they are not on a tabien ban.

Remember, no tabien ban, no ID card.

It is possible that just the rental contract, which presumably lists her name, and a photocopy of the owner's ID card (with or without some sort of note of authorization) will suffice and avoid need for the owner of the house to come in purpose to the ampur. But need to ask at the Ampur to find out (the current ampur, not the old one).

While doing all this, might like to get a yellow tabian ban for yourself as well.

Your wife is 100% correct.

Under Thai law a new born child must be registered on the Mothers Tabian Baan within 15 days.

She cannot change her address in her Blue book as you are renting and she would need the permission of the land owner in order to get a new book, with the new address in Khon Kaen. That process may take longer than 15 days and only if the landowner agrees.

She must therefore register the baby (now) in the Tabian Baan she possesses at the Amphur where the address is registered.

If the landowner refuses, and as and when the house is sold, her old book must be surrender, and both she and the baby will then have to be entered on a family members Blue book, as all Thais must register an address somewhere under the Civil Registration Act.

Alternatively, she could find someone who would allow her to use their Khon Kaen address. She would then need to surrender her existing Blue book to the old Amphur in Chaiyaphum who would deregister her from the register and issue a form which she then takes to the new Amphur in Khon Kaen, who will then register her new address and issue a new Blue book for that address.

You rarely cut and run in Thailand, everything is dealt with Province by Province and there are procedures Thais must follow when changing addresses to a different Provinces..

Edited by Faz

Bloody annoying. Called the Amphur this morning hoping I could take the paperwork on behalf of my missus but no go. I'm sure if we spoke to the right person something could be done. Missus doesn't have any family here so the reallity for us is transport a newborn 3 hours and back in 40 degree heat and raving lunatics on the road...during Songkrahn. And we're lucky. Pity the poor buggers who don't have wheels and have to sit on a bus or in the back of a pick up.

Some of these people sitting in their offices should get out and try following some of their own stupid, pointless pen pushing rubber stamping rules. Anyone here ever ask why the Frk they do things a particular way? "Not want make proprem"

Edited by Kenny202

Listen to your wife. She is a smart woman.

Children born in Thailand who are Thai citizens need to be regisered within 14 days of birth on a house register.

If you wife owns the land it means she is the 'house master' and has the right to add anyone she pleases onto the tabien baan. IF you think there are paperwork hassels now, then don't do it and wait till later when things are alot worse when you've gone over the 14 day threshold.

And it won't be your wifes fault...

When you register in a blue book, they don't give you a new book, they simply add the name in the existing one for the address you want to register at.

If you are on someones tambian ban, and they sell the house, you don't have to surrender anything unless the owner let you hold on to their book. You also don't need to go get registered on a family members book. You could stay on that one if the new owners don't mind.

As far as immigration goes, the problem you might have if you live with a spouse who is registered somewhere else might be providing proof of address. You wouldn't be able to do that with their book.

When you register in a blue book, they don't give you a new book, they simply add the name in the existing one for the address you want to register at.

If you are on someones tambian ban, and they sell the house, you don't have to surrender anything unless the owner let you hold on to their book. You also don't need to go get registered on a family members book. You could stay on that one if the new owners don't mind.

As far as immigration goes, the problem you might have if you live with a spouse who is registered somewhere else might be providing proof of address. You wouldn't be able to do that with their book.

You've been misinformed.

That is entirely at the Thais choice. You can have as many people as you want registered in one book at the same address, or each person is entitled to have their own book.

You don't have to hold onto anyone's book, or they yours. If the homeowner is agreeable each individual can have their own book.

You can have one address with multiple people registered at that address, but one person cannot register at multiple addresses.

As far as immigration goes, the problem you might have if you live with a spouse who is registered somewhere else might be providing proof of address. You wouldn't be able to do that with their book

That depends where Kenny wants to report to.

He can use his wife's blue book if he continues to use the local office for Chaiyaphum.

If he wants to use the Khon Kaen office he will have to use copies of the landlords ID card and Tabian Baan, although he should report his change of address first on a TM28.

Further down the line and where children are concerned it's important that the Mothers Tabian Baan has an address within the Province in which the children will attend school. It would make life easier all round for Kenny and his wife if she could therefore find someone in Khon Kaen who would allow her to use their address (if not the landlord). But for now she must return to Chaiyaphum.to register the child in her Tabian Baan.

Edited by Faz

Forget all the passport, marriage and schools stuff. My immediate concern is if we don't register in 15 days, will the child have access to free medical without problem? A poster stated earlier that any child here under 15 gets free medical anywhere.

My missus has had a cesarean, it's frightfully hot now, its Songkrahn and a 6 hour round trip is not comfortable (or safe!) for her or our baby.

If I do it in a month or so and it's going to be a matter of a 1000 baht fine....I'll opt for a month or two.

Edited by Kenny202

Yes, the baby does need to be in a tabian ban. Bit being in one in a province other than where you live could create problems accessing health care, attending school later etc.

There is no need for the blue book to be handed over for any length of time. It is a single trip to the ampur to get her and the baby added. From what I have heard, it is often possible to get added first and then go to the old place to have one's name removed later, though it depends on the ampur.

If you are on an extension of stay for reason of marriage, you may run into problems extending in KK if your wife's tabian ban is another province.

If you live in Chaiyaphum, you have to use the immigration ofice in KK. Edited by dutchisaan

Your wife herself doesn't have to be present.

You or someone on her behalf can take the Mothers Tabian Baan, ID card and birth certificate to the old Amphur to have the baby registered.

If the baby has your surname, then your ID will also be required.

Failing to register the child within the 15 days, technically means you've broken the law, but it's only punishable by a fine imposed by the Amphur.

It's usually less than a 1,000 baht for just a few days, however the longer you leave it the fine could be increased.

Recovery from a Caesarean section is usually 4-6 weeks.

As a law abiding citizen, your wife will be concerned and worried about breaking the law, she probably doesn't even know what the penalties are.

You could always get a letter from the hospital stating your wife isn't fit to travel for x weeks.

It won't avoid her paying a fine, but it sure as hell may put her mind at rest and stop her worrying so much.

We called the Amphur re me taking the paperwork to register the baby. They said no cant do. The baby has my last name on the birth certificate for what it's worth. This particular Amphur has been totally incorrect and inflexible in the past and no amount of polite reason will suffice.

Edited by Kenny202

Bloody annoying. Called the Amphur this morning hoping I could take the paperwork on behalf of my missus but no go. I'm sure if we spoke to the right person something could be done. Missus doesn't have any family here so the reallity for us is transport a newborn 3 hours and back in 40 degree heat and raving lunatics on the road...during Songkrahn. And we're lucky. Pity the poor buggers who don't have wheels and have to sit on a bus or in the back of a pick up.

Some of these people sitting in their offices should get out and try following some of their own stupid, pointless pen pushing rubber stamping rules. Anyone here ever ask why the Frk they do things a particular way? "Not want make proprem"

Whoever told you that was wrong. In many, many cases a family member goes to the Amphur to register the child, because the Mother needs rest after giving birth.

The pen pushing, rubber stamping is just the way the system works here, it's still a developing Country.

Even in your home Country there are procedures to follow when changes occur, but they can usually be completed by phone or e-mail.

Whoever told you that was wrong. In many, many cases a family member goes to the Amphur to register the child, because the Mother needs rest after giving birth.

The pen pushing, rubber stamping is just the way the system works here, it's still a developing Country.

Even in your home Country there are procedures to follow when changes occur, but they can usually be completed by phone or e-mail.

If the wife is the house master she has to do it herself. I know, I've registerd my three kids myself. Bubs and wife didn't have to be there.

If he drive is out of the question, suggest finding someone close to where to are who is willing to add bubs to their house register. You can easily move the bubs to your proper one at a later date.

I believe she was told a third party can register the baby but person would need to have their own Tabian Ban and I'D card which of course I dont

Edited by Kenny202

Your passport is your ID card.

As for having a Tabian Baan, just one more reason why obtaining a TB makes life so much easier in Thailand.

You have transferred your bank account to KK I presume, otherwise your going to pay charges for withdrawing cash in another province.

Your passport is your ID card.

As for having a Tabian Baan, just one more reason why obtaining a TB makes life so much easier in Thailand.

You have transferred your bank account to KK I presume, otherwise your going to pay charges for withdrawing cash in another province.

Well me getting a yellow book was another story altogether. They told me I would need 4 sponsors....all teachers, govt workers etc as well as the poh jai ban. The process would take a day and everyone would need attend all day. Interviews etc. They seemed to think they were granting me a visa or residency. I know that is all wrong but that was their understanding of the process and nothing could shift that. I've never seen anything like this Amphur. At anytime 3 will be on facebook, other one playing computer games, boss reading the paper and the rest eating. They treat any (thai) person who comes in and interrupts them with utter contempt. Disgusts me

If a Thai puts their name on someone elses Tabian Baan , does that person have to release you so you can move the name somewhere else ?

And what happens if the Tabian Baan owner , moves , disappears , dies ?????

It just seems you could get stuck being forced to go back to the Tabian Baan hometown to vote , hospital care and other services if you could not find the Tabian Baan owner or they refused to release you so you could move ......

or am I wrong ? :)

If a Thai puts their name on someone elses Tabian Baan , does that person have to release you so you can move the name somewhere else ?

And what happens if the Tabian Baan owner , moves , disappears , dies ?????

It just seems you could get stuck being forced to go back to the Tabian Baan hometown to vote , hospital care and other services if you could not find the Tabian Baan owner or they refused to release you so you could move ......

or am I wrong ? smile.png

1. The other person would have to visit the Amphur with the other person because it would be their book that required the change.

However if the other Thai had their own book for the same address, then they could make the changes themselves.

2. If they remain at the same address, with the homeowners permission it isn't a problem.

Otherwise they would need to find someone else who would allow them to use their address to register.

3. The problem with the system is that it is based on home ownership.

A person owning the house can allow as many people as he wishes to use that address, either added to his blue book, or obtaining their own blue book with his permission.

The problems arise when a Thai rents, or moves to another province whether they neither own the property or have family or friends within that new province. Then they have to rely on the landlord or someone else who is a homeowner to allow them to use and register as living at their address. Being registered in a different Province to where you actually live can cause all sorts of problems.

Hence Thai families are usually found living within the same province, or they want to own their own homes.

I privately rent, my landlady lives in another province. She has 2 blue books, one for this house and one in another province for her other house.

However she can only be named in one of the books as her registered address otherwise she would be duplicated on the records.

As a foreigner and with her permission I obtained my own Tabian Baan, which she had to attend and sign for at the Amphur, but I am issued a Yellow book to denote a non Thai.

I will be moving shortly to live in my girlfriends home. (Same Amphur)

I will then have to surrender my current book and using my g/f's ID and TB and signature, obtain a new book detailing her address as my new address.

This is completed same day at the same office.

If she lived in another province, I would first have to surrender my book at the old Amphur to be removed from the register. They would give me a form which I take to the new Amphur (basically just informs them I have been removed from the register), then the new Amphur would issue me a new Yellow book with the new address within their district.

I suggested to the missus we ask the neighbour's to put baby on their TB and she said we'd have to stay in contact with them forever

Are you legally married or just the Village marriage?

Neither. I know legally it doesn't count for anything but I was surprised they used my last name on his birth certificate Edited by Kenny202

I believe she was told a third party can register the baby but person would need to have their own Tabian Ban and I'D card which of course I dont

Your child is eligible to go onto any house book in the country. The third party spoken of has to be the house master who has to be there to give permission.

I've put on loads of relatives onto my house book, I've had to be there each time.

So you don't put your child on your wife's house book for now given you don't want to do the drive.

Find someone else where you are to put the child on for the time being. Then when you are ready to go to the wifes district office, go there and shift the child's name to that one.

Edited by samran