Dognapping - against the law in Thailand?

I own a German Shepard. Don’t ask me why; I’m not German nor am I a shepherd.

A few weeks ago, my dog got seriously ill, and I had to find a new vet.

Unfortunately, I got off on the wrong foot with him. As soon as I slid the clinic’s front door open, the vet hurried over and asked me to take my shoes off. No ‘Good morning, welcome, well-dressed, handsome, rich looking new farang client.’ Just: ‘Excuse me, strange looking barbarian, kindly take off your shoes.” Naturally I apologized and quickly took my shoes off. I asked if my dog needed to take his booties off as well, but he said that wouldn’t be necessary. I’m thinking, ‘Why are you worried about me tracking dirt into your clinic, when your waiting room is full of filthy flea bitten alley cats and mangy soi dogs?

But this vet, a husband and wife team, came highly recommended, so I watched my ‘p’s and q’s, and kept my mouth shut. And it’s a good thing I did, because it turned out my dog was in desperate straits. The blood test results were grim, and the vet was talking transfusions, which was something I had never even heard of before. I was told that with a blood transfusion, the prognosis was good. Without one, I should probably start shopping around for a pet cemetery.

Of course, I immediately volunteered to donate blood for my dog, but the vet gently explained that that’s not how it works; another dog would have to donate the blood. In addition to that, because my dog was large, I would have to find either another large dog, or possible as many as 5-6 small dogs to donate the required amount of blood. I knew right off the bat that that this would be a next-to-impossible logistical nightmare, so I called it a night and started the long drive home, resigned to the thought that my dog was likely going to die.

We get stuck in Friday evening Bangkok traffic, just crawling along. Whenever I passed under a halogen street light and looked down at the dog lying quietly on the front passenger side floor boards, his amber brown eyes met mine, searching for clues about what was going on. Started getting a little misty-eyed at that point, muttering to myself, ‘Thanks for the memories, big guy, I’m gonna miss you.’ I spot a McDonald’s, go thru the drive thru, and order a second double cheeseburger for the dog. Thinking it won’t eat it, I tear off just a chunk and hand it down to the dog. Lightning fast, he wolfs it down. I tear off another chunk, and the same thing happens again. The dog eats the whole thing: patty, cheese, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, sesame seed bun and all. So now I’m thinking, ‘How sick can this dog really be with an appetite like that?’ And the rest of the drive home, I’m thinking about where I might be able to find some dog blood. Finding dog blood in Thailand. You have to admit that would be a great challenge on ‘The Amazing Race’, wouldn't it?

My first thought was to try and kidnap a dog. I pictured myself with a chicken satay skewer in one hand and a chloroform soaked rag in the other, trying to lure a dog into the back of a cargo van. Kind of a ‘Silence of the Lambs’ inspired type abduction. But when I remembered that most Thai dogs are small, and I might have to kidnap more than just a single dog, (and perhaps maybe one or two of their owners), I realized that this could spin out of control in a hurry, and set that thought aside for the moment.

Then I thought about whether I knew any dog owners who would give me permission to drain a pint or two or three of blood from their dog. That didn’t seem very likely either. I inwardly groaned when I thought about the long explanations which would be required. In my experience, every time I’ve had to ask a Thai person for something that required a long explanation, it hasn’t ended well. Usually, at the end of the long explanation, they somehow change their mind, come up with a lame excuse about why they can’t help, or suddenly impose some ridiculous pre-condition guaranteed to kill the deal. When I started thinking about all the little details like whether payment would be required, whether the owner would come along to the transfusion, or what would happen if something went wrong, my head began to spin.

And that’s before I had a chance to start focusing on the minor problem of blood borne pathogens. 99% of Thai dogs have never seen a vaccination needle. Who knows what unknown cooties flow through their veins. Clean dog blood in Thailand? What were the doctor’s words? Haa yaak! (Hard to find!) I could just hear the vet after the transfusion: ‘The good news is your dog’s anemia has been cured. The bad news is that your dog now has incurable scabies, flat feet, and we find that if it's not fed plaa raa every day its temper tends to flare up.’

Besides that, the really pampered pets in Thailand most likely to have clean blood were tiny poodles and Chihuahuas owned by hi-so Paris Hilton types, who wouldn’t dream of ever letting their beloved ‘Gigi’ be jabbed with a hypodermic needle. Fat chance any of them would help with my transfusion needs.

As it turned out, maybe the dog doesn’t need a transfusion after all. Borderline case, have to weigh the transfusion benefits against the risks, that sort of thing. The dog’s been on this regime of anti-anemia drugs and antibiotics, and is slowly, very slowly, getting better. But if this doesn’t work out, I might have to go to Plan B: kidnapping a bunch of dogs. So if you hear about a rash of dognapping on the local news, don’t rat me out, OK? smile.png

If transfusion proves necessary (which from your description of the dog's clinical condition I rather doubt), the large university veterinary hospitals can arrange it. Not sure how they get the blood, but they do.

You might also post in the Pets forum, there just might be a member(s) with a dog in Bangkok willing to help.

Do not, obviously, kidnap a dog.

as this subject is close to my heart,did you have a print out,time,dogs name and date on the test result.so you can check it out for yourself.

If anyone's interested in the blood test lab results, I posted them here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/907956-any-thoughts-on-attached-lab-results-for-sick-dog-greatly-appreciated/?p=10602985

as this subject is close to my heart,did you have a print out,time,dogs name and date on the test result.so you can check it out for yourself.

If anyone's interested in the blood test lab results, I posted them here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/907956-any-thoughts-on-attached-lab-results-for-sick-dog-greatly-appreciated/?p=10602985

See my reply tere. Either the last test results are an error or your dog is virtually dead. A hemoglobin that low would cause massive heart failure and is hard to reconcile with your description of the dog. Also, the massive change between 3rd and 4th set of tests is unusual.

You may find Meatby's thread here of interest http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887413-blood-testsare-we-being-conned/

This situation calls for the very best level of facility, not a Mom-and-Pop vet practice however good. Take the dog ASAP to one of the major hospitals I mentioned in that thread. Bring lab results with you.

Trying to find a good vet is v difficult and its a trial and error process. I'm sure we can all sympathise with the difficulty in finding a good vet!

Hopefully you've found your way to one of the animal hospitals mentioned by Sheryl who can give you the best possible advice.

Do you have any news?