Honda Idling Stop - which Honda motor scooters have this feature?

SkyRider

Got it my 2016 pcx... Never use it. Been told the hire bikes short it out, trouble in the past.

Interesting, got it on my current PCX and my previous one, use it all the time wouldn't be without it. Never a problem.

I don't have it fitted - but you can use the manual version - turn off the ignition with the key when you have to wait 2 mins at a red light then switch on again 10 secs before you have to move off.....

my bike has that too

Got it my 2016 pcx... Never use it. Been told the hire bikes short it out, trouble in the past.

why would they short it out.

wouldn't just disconnecting it be a lot better.

then wouldn't have to worry about blowing a fuse &c.

Honda's great "Idle Stop" feature is on PCXs and Click models. Not on motorbikes with a semi-auto transmission (tranny) as on the Wave and SuperCub.
The Idle Stop is really an accelerometer. You slow and stop, so does you engine. Think "sleep mode" for your laptop.

You twist the the throttle and off you go! Very sweet feature.

Not available in USA, why? Not worth the tort liability and lawsuits Honda might incur.

There is credible reasoning amongst engineers , to leave the engine running , so the water pump keeps running , saving the engine sitting in its own boiling water. This is why some more advanced engines have an electric water pump that continues to circulate the water through the radiator , after shutdown , prolonging engine and oil life.

PCX - but I never used it.

Reason? I wish my Forza had it.

How much fuel does it use waiting for a red light ? How much does a battery and a starter motor cost ? Cost/benefit.

Battery only good for so many starts, same as the starter. Marketing Hype.

i have found it can be remarkably annoying if you are trying to ride (creep) up a steep gravel driveway or hill, but then i have only ever ridden a bike with this feature on the islands.

on another note, my friends bmw 5 series has it. seems to work well.

Possibly due to the fact that there is no kick start, and a drained battery would mean you are dead in the water.

The battery is often drained because the engine stops when you put the side-stand down, making it easy to absent-mindedly leave the key where it is, with the ignition turned on.

How much fuel does it use waiting for a red light ? How much does a battery and a starter motor cost ? Cost/benefit.

There is no starter motor, the idle stop is part of the alternator.

Feed electricity in and it spins, spin it and electricity comes out.

Possibly due to the fact that there is no kick start, and a drained battery would mean you are dead in the water.

The battery is often drained because the engine stops when you put the side-stand down, making it easy to absent-mindedly leave the key where it is, with the ignition turned on.

Especially easy with the new stupid so called... Smart key!

True! The refillable battery on my "kickstart" Yamaha 110 lasted 5 1/2 years. Electric start scooters use up a battery (today mostly of the sealed type) within around 2 years.

I bought the PCX when it first came out...love the idle stop and no, after 5yrs never had to replace a battery yet. Bought the GF a brand new one 150cc and she also loves the idle stop. Great feature as far as I'm concernedclap2.gif

There is no starter motor...when I go downtown CM the engine stops a min of 30 times on the trip. lol

Not only the ignition, but also the headlights. That's the real battery killer.

To avoid forgetting to turn off the ignition when I stop and put the side stand down...I had an auto electrician wire a reversing beeper which activates after 15secs. Remove key and it stops. Got caught too many times with a drained battery. cheesy.gif

It's only since I came to Thailand that I seen people stopping their engine at traffic lights......never understood it myself. In my younger days I remember been told that the little petrol you save doing that is lost when starting up the engine again.

My idle stop only works intermittently. Honda found that if they replaced the battery it worked fine but wouldn't give me a new battery. I use the bike in this little Phuket beach town with two lights, so don't really need it anyway.

If I lived in Bangkok it would be a feature.

There is no starter motor, the idle stop is part of the alternator.

Feed electricity in and it spins, spin it and electricity comes out.

On the contrary - one device does two things. Of course it has a starter motor, and an alternator. Both combined. What starts the bike when you turn the key on and hit the button if not a starter motor ?

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/Engineidlingstop/p3.html

Archived