Honda Idling Stop - which Honda motor scooters have this feature?

SkyRider

I bought the PCX when it first came out...love the idle stop and no, after 5yrs never had to replace a battery yet. Bought the GF a brand new one 150cc and she also loves the idle stop. Great feature as far as I'm concernedclap2.gif

There is no starter motor...when I go downtown CM the engine stops a min of 30 times on the trip. lol

There is no starter motor?

How do you explain how the engine starts then?

There is no starter motor, the idle stop is part of the alternator.

Feed electricity in and it spins, spin it and electricity comes out.

On the contrary - one device does two things. Of course it has a starter motor, and an alternator. Both combined. What starts the bike when you turn the key on and hit the button if not a starter motor ?

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/Engineidlingstop/p3.html

Starter motor has a gear that engages the engine when it turns.

The combi alternators are always connected and a completely different item.

It's called an ACG, which I believe stands for Alternator Circuit Generator.

Calling it a starter motor is a bit like insisting on calling an alternator a dynamo, technology moves on and a new name is used.

There is credible reasoning amongst engineers , to leave the engine running , so the water pump keeps running , saving the engine sitting in its own boiling water. This is why some more advanced engines have an electric water pump that continues to circulate the water through the radiator , after shutdown , prolonging engine and oil life.

Which advanced engines?

There is no starter motor, the idle stop is part of the alternator.

Feed electricity in and it spins, spin it and electricity comes out.

On the contrary - one device does two things. Of course it has a starter motor, and an alternator. Both combined. What starts the bike when you turn the key on and hit the button if not a starter motor ?

Starter motor has a gear that engages the engine when it turns.

The combi alternators are always connected and a completely different item.

It's called an ACG, which I believe stands for Alternator Circuit Generator.

Calling it a starter motor is a bit like insisting on calling an alternator a dynamo, technology moves on and a new name is used.

Well, Honda calls it a starter....

Dynamo.

papa likes it

alt schule terminology

post-174911-0-89579700-1459756033_thumb.

As noted the click has the feature along with the PCX, Zoomer, majority of the Automatic now are fitted with the feature. The problem it drains the battery, After a while I monitor the gas mileage as to what I was saving using the idle stop. I did not see a benefit to using it in regards to gas. I did noticed after a year with the idle being used that it started to hesitate whenever I needed to take off. Thereafter the battery went completely got a new one same thing after stop since then battery I have now year old no problem since I stopped using the idle.

As noted the click has the feature along with the PCX, Zoomer, majority of the Automatic now are fitted with the feature. The problem it drains the battery, After a while I monitor the gas mileage as to what I was saving using the idle stop. I did not see a benefit to using it in regards to gas. I did noticed after a year with the idle being used that it started to hesitate whenever I needed to take off. Thereafter the battery went completely got a new one same thing after stop since then battery I have now year old no problem since I stopped using the idle.

I've always worked on the principle that car and m/c manufacturers always fit the cheapest battery they can get away with, rather than the most suitable one for the job. So when I buy a new battery, I always fit the biggest AH battery that will fit in the hole.

Seems to work much longer and costs very little extra.

There IS a problem with the idle stop , and I witnessed it first hand.

A PCX rider had an accident and came off his bike as I approached him.

I stopped and watched him stand up , and looking slightly dazed , grab the handle of his apparently "stalled" PCX.

It immediatety started up , and as he only held the right hand handle , it spun wildly round and skidded sideways again across the road.

He went to do it again , but by now I had parked my scooter and intervened and turned the PCX off at its key.

The PCX hadnt stalled.

It had stopped idling until he put his hand on its accelerator!

Is there anyway to test a battery, to see how much life it has left?

I'd like to know if a battery is about to die, so that I can change it - before it dies on me while I'm riding on a road.

You will know when you are starting it. If it's weak to turn over, it's on it's way out. If you don't ride it in a few days, is it easy to start?

Is there anyway to test a battery, to see how much life it has left?

I'd like to know if a battery is about to die, so that I can change it - before it dies on me while I'm riding on a road.

yes they make battery testers. I know auto parts stores in the US have them to check customers batteries. Not sure about here.

It's only since I came to Thailand that I seen people stopping their engine at traffic lights......never understood it myself. In my younger days I remember been told that the little petrol you save doing that is lost when starting up the engine again.

When I drive around Pattaya in my car I only get around 275kms on a tank of petrol, mainly due to constant queues and sitting stationery at traffic lights. On normal roads around Sattahip/Ban Chang I get up 4-500kms on a tank. I would I love an idling stop feature in that car!

It's only since I came to Thailand that I seen people stopping their engine at traffic lights......never understood it myself. In my younger days I remember been told that the little petrol you save doing that is lost when starting up the engine again.

When I drive around Pattaya in my car I only get around 275kms on a tank of petrol, mainly due to constant queues and sitting stationery at traffic lights. On normal roads around Sattahip/Ban Chang I get up 4-500kms on a tank. I would I love an idling stop feature in that car!

i challenge you to turn off the bike at every light to see the difference. I think you will find it is minimal if even noticeable.

i challenge you to turn off the bike at every light to see the difference. I think you will find it is minimal if even noticeable.

Stuck in Traffic. No engine running = no Aircon. Good luck with that

what motorbikes or motorcycles have air con?

Here is the original quote - notice the part which says "in my car"

Here is the original quote - notice the part which says "in my car"

my apologies. I didn't realize someone switched a thread about bikes to cars.

Archived