Greedy ATMs - And a New Card

Go to a Bangkok Bank that has a currency exchange desk...Take your ATM card & passport.....

Ask for a cash advance - they should give you a slip to sign & you can take out up to 60,000 per day....

Does anyone know if this works with Krungsri Bank (yellow bank)

Tia

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

Bangkok Bank. You can use internet banking to increase the daily amount via ATM. I increased mine to THB 200,000.

There are two different limits that come into play on the Thai end when withdrawing from Thai ATMs:

1. is how much you can withdraw per single ATM withdrawal. For most Thai banks, that's 20-25K per ATM withdrawal, although Krungsri/Ayudhya and TMB allow 30K per pull. Those are limits that the customer has no ability to change.

2. is how much your Thai bank allows you to withdrawal via ATM PER DAY, regardless of the number of individual transactions involved. That's the limit where, at least with BKK Bank, you can have them adjust your daily limit to various amounts. But you still won't be able to pull anymore PER WITHDRAWAL than the PER WITHDRAWAL limit set by the bank for its ATMs.

Separately, as far as DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) is concerned, it's very easy and NOT complicated to tell when the Thai bank is trying to con you into accepting that lower rate. Here's how:

Anytime the Thai bank ATM screen is showing you your withdrawal amount in your home country currency instead of or in addition to a Thai baht amount, that means they're offering you a DCC rate -- which you want to avoid.

On my Bangkok Bank ibanking I "can not" change the ATM card limit; I can only change the 3rd party transfer limit...all the way up to Bt500K if desired. I keep it set to zero except when needing to do a 3rd party transfer like pay for something such as my annual vehicle insurance, buy an item online and pay via funds transfers, etc...I change the limit to some amount...complete the transfer...then set the limit back to zero for added banking safety. There is no setting allowing me to change my ATM card limit....if there is I've never been able to find it...the Bangkok Bank website says you can call their 1333 number to make a change in your ATM limit up to Bt150K/day.

Now the account I have an ATM card on is a joint account with my wife...we both have ATM cards. "Maybe" for a single account owner account Bangkok Bank ibanking offers changing the ATM limit....or maybe folks are confusing that with the 3rd party transfer limits which does not affect your ATM card limit. Rules/policies for joint and single accounts vary a little.

Go to "My Settings"

Select "Set Transaction Limits"

Set "Maximum Daily Amount" to what meets your needs.

I know it is followed by (total of all 3rd party transactions) which is confusing but it also resets the max daily limit for ATM withdrawals. You can still only withdraw 50,000 per transaction but you can do it multiple times immediately and without leaving the ATM. Maybe something lost in translation but they seem to include ATM transactions as a 3rd party transaction in this case.

It worked for me.

in one day

Go to a Bangkok Bank that has a currency exchange desk...Take your ATM card & passport.....

Ask for a cash advance - they should give you a slip to sign & you can take out up to 60,000 per day....

Does anyone know if this works with Krungsri Bank (yellow bank)

Tia

Sent from my Vi10Pro using Tapatalk

Varying reports on Thai Visa about different banks and different branches of the same bank, not accepting Debit/ATM cards for over-the-counter (OTC) transactions like this. Some report success using a credit card instead of a debit/ATM card.

Just rock up to the counter of your Krungsi branch and give it a go, mindful that branches not familiar with exapt/foreigners might say no simply because they don't know. If you hit the "No" wall and detect hesitation and unsure body language with the front line teller, ask politely for the supervisor and don't break the face of the teller who said no. I've been told no at my Krungsi and Bangkok Bank branches in the past, but patience and a little persistence resulted in success.

Bangkok Bank. You can use internet banking to increase the daily amount via ATM. I increased mine to THB 200,000.

There are two different limits that come into play on the Thai end when withdrawing from Thai ATMs:

1. is how much you can withdraw per single ATM withdrawal. For most Thai banks, that's 20-25K per ATM withdrawal, although Krungsri/Ayudhya and TMB allow 30K per pull. Those are limits that the customer has no ability to change.

2. is how much your Thai bank allows you to withdrawal via ATM PER DAY, regardless of the number of individual transactions involved. That's the limit where, at least with BKK Bank, you can have them adjust your daily limit to various amounts. But you still won't be able to pull anymore PER WITHDRAWAL than the PER WITHDRAWAL limit set by the bank for its ATMs.

Separately, as far as DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) is concerned, it's very easy and NOT complicated to tell when the Thai bank is trying to con you into accepting that lower rate. Here's how:

Anytime the Thai bank ATM screen is showing you your withdrawal amount in your home country currency instead of or in addition to a Thai baht amount, that means they're offering you a DCC rate -- which you want to avoid.

On my Bangkok Bank ibanking I "can not" change the ATM card limit; I can only change the 3rd party transfer limit...all the way up to Bt500K if desired. I keep it set to zero except when needing to do a 3rd party transfer like pay for something such as my annual vehicle insurance, buy an item online and pay via funds transfers, etc...I change the limit to some amount...complete the transfer...then set the limit back to zero for added banking safety. There is no setting allowing me to change my ATM card limit....if there is I've never been able to find it...the Bangkok Bank website says you can call their 1333 number to make a change in your ATM limit up to Bt150K/day.

Now the account I have an ATM card on is a joint account with my wife...we both have ATM cards. "Maybe" for a single account owner account Bangkok Bank ibanking offers changing the ATM limit....or maybe folks are confusing that with the 3rd party transfer limits which does not affect your ATM card limit. Rules/policies for joint and single accounts vary a little.

Go to "My Settings"

Select "Set Transaction Limits"

Set "Maximum Daily Amount" to what meets your needs.

I know it is followed by (total of all 3rd party transactions) which is confusing but it also resets the max daily limit for ATM withdrawals. You can still only withdraw 50,000 per transaction but you can do it multiple times immediately and without leaving the ATM. Maybe something lost in translation but they seem to include ATM transactions as a 3rd party transaction in this case.

It worked for me.

in one day

Will have to disagree. Those of settings are just for 3rd party transfers/bill payments...that is, when transferring funds/making payments. I'm sure if it changed the ATM/debit card transaction limits also it would be specific in saying that. Plus, my 3rd party and bill pay transaction limits are set to 0 baht and 15K baht, respectfully,...see image below. So that would mean by ATM/debit card limit was be either 0 or 15K baht...but nope, I still periodically used my debit card to withdraw more than 15K...sometimes up to 25K. But if I exceed those limits in doing an ibanking transfer/bill payment I get an error message I have exceeded the limits/I need to change my limits before I can continue.

Unless something has changed, when opening a Bangkok Bank account the default ATM/Debit card cash withdrawal setting is 50K baht per day. You can lower that to zero or up to some higher amount (maybe around Bt150K or higher) during the account opening, by contacting the branch, or calling the Bankgok Bank 1333 number.

But maybe if your account is in you name only vs a joint account like mine you are offered different ibanking selections but your description sounds just like mine. You could always do a test...set all of your limits to zero and then go try to use your card for a withdrawal...I bet you card will still work.

post-55970-0-88391400-1460010022_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

As nice to know info, I decided just to give Bangkok Bank 1333 a call...I first listened to all the automated selections regarding ATM/debit card limits and those limit changes focused on "purchase" limit changes and not ATM cash withdrawal limits. Zero mention of making limit changes for cash withdrawals; only purchase limit changes. But you could use the automated system to tell me what my current cash withdrawal limit was per day...it said Bt50K.

I then selected to talk to a rep specifically about setting limits for cash withdrawals from an ATM. The rep said it will depend on whether your account was opened with a Work Permit or without a Work Permit...different rules apply she said regarding the limits....all in how they have your account coded I guess. But the rep did say the lowest cash advance limit setting for a Be1st magnetic strip card is Bt50K and i think she said it was Bt5K for a Be1st Smart (chipped) card but maybe it was Bt50K also....but neither could be set to zero for cash withdrawals she said.

But regardless of opened with a work permit or not, a person needs to take their passport/passbook/card to their branch to initiate a change in ATM cash withdrawal limit the rep said. I could not do it via ibanding/mbanking/call in the rep said like you can do for setting the purchase limit.

Once again, I'm talking "cash withdrawal" limits and not "purchase limits" as you can have two separate limits...a cash limit and a purchase limit. And hopefully the rep were on the same communication wavelength in our discussion as I repeatedly stressed I was primarily asking about setting/changing the cash withdrawal limit and not the separate purchase limit. Maybe I'll call again next week, maybe get another rep, and see what story that rep gives me.

Just FYI.

You can still only withdraw 50,000 per transaction but you can do it multiple times immediately and without leaving the ATM.

For starters, AFAIK, you've never been able to withdraw 50,000 baht in one transaction from a BKK ATM, nor of any other Thai bank that I'm aware of (with the exception of AEON ATMs in the past).

The most any Thai bank ATM machine will dispense per transaction, regardless of the card you're using or card limits, is 30,000b per withdrawal at Krungsri or TMB ATMs. I know of no Thai ATM that will dispense more than that in a single withdrawal transaction -- regardless of the card or other circumstances.

You can still only withdraw 50,000 per transaction but you can do it multiple times immediately and without leaving the ATM.

For starters, AFAIK, you've never been able to withdraw 50,000 baht in one transaction from a BKK ATM, nor of any other Thai bank that I'm aware of (with the exception of AEON ATMs in the past).

The most any Thai bank ATM machine will dispense per transaction, regardless of the card you're using or card limits, is 30,000b per withdrawal at Krungsri or TMB ATMs. I know of no Thai ATM that will dispense more than that in a single withdrawal transaction -- regardless of the card or other circumstances.

Ditto...Thai bank ATMs max withdrawal per transaction vary from bank to bank but it's usually Bt20K like KrungThai Bank, Bt25K like Bangkok Bank, Bt30K like Krungsri & TMB. AEON 20K. I've been in Thailand 8 years now on this stay and never-ever saw a ATM that allowed 50K per pull...maybe in the olden days but not now.

Ditto...Thai bank ATMs max withdrawal per transaction vary from bank to bank but it's usually Bt20K like KrungThai Bank, Bt25K like Bangkok Bank, Bt30K like Krungsri & TMB. AEON 20K. I've been in Thailand 8 years now on this stay and never-ever saw a ATM that allowed 50K per pull...maybe in the olden days but not now.

Maximum Daily Amount

(total of all 3rd party transactions

in one day) 300,000

Maximum Bill Payment Transaction Amount 50,000
Copied from my own online banking with BKK Bank. This also resets the daily ATM amount AND the max cash per transaction from ATM. Last month I made 4 consecutive withdrawals of 50,000 each from ATM. Total withdrawn 200,000.
Edited by hugh2121

Please tell us what ATM (specific location) allows 50K withdrawals instead of being limited to Bt20K to 30K....I sure some of us would like to use that ATM. And my gut still tells me you just have your ATM/debit card cash limit set to Bt200K which is separate from 3rd party transfers (sending money to other folks) which you can change via ibanking.

My gut tells me that simply because of my earlier post where I gave an ibanking snapshot of my 3d party/bill payment totals which totaled only 15K but I was still able to exceed that limit for ATM cash withdrawals...do two Bt25K withdrawals per day since my daily cash withdrawal limit is set to 50K. My gut feeling was reinforced based on my call yesterday with Bangkok Bank as I explained earlier. And obviously, by 15K limit on 3d party/bill pay is not limiting my ability to withdraw more than 15K per day at an ATM.

I'll say it again, I bet if you set your 3rd party & bill payment limits to zero on your ibanking you will still be able to go out get money from an ATM due to the separate ATM cash limit. No where on the Bangkok Bank website (that I have found) does it say you can change your "ATM/debit cash withdrawal limit and the Bangkok Bank rep confirmed that on the call yesterday...even calling the Bangkok Bank 1333 number it only allows you to change the ATM/debit "purchase/spending" limit; not the cash withdrawal limit.

Yeap, I still in the camp you have a Bt200K ATM/debit cash withdrawal limit and that is totally separate from 3rd part/bill pay limits and debit card "purchase" limit.

Basically a person has four separate limits: debit card cash withdrawal limit, debit card purchase/spending limit, 3d Party Transfer/Payment limit, and Bill Payment limit.

Edited by Pib

Yes, I didn't comment above on HOW you make those ATM card limit changes with BKK Bank. Hugh was talking about doing it via IBanking.

But you're correct. Contrary to what the prior poster said above, AFAIK, you cannot change the daily card ATM withdrawal limits via IBanking -- you have to call the bank and use their telephone banking system, and/or, I suppose, go into the branch and make the change with your home branch in person.

The automated prompt via phone banking allows you to change ATM withdrawal limits and purchase limits [debit card purchases] (two separate sub-menus). You have to enter in the card number and pin. Then you can change limit. Purchase limits can be set to 0, but atm limits i think 5k is the smallest.

You can also go to the branch to change the limits.

Unsure about online bill pay.

I feel like I'm may have been in the Twilight Zone. After seeing 4evermaat's post above I decided to try the 1333 number again to see if it offered me the ability to change my "daily cash withdrawal" limit as yesterday I thought it only offerred me the ability to change my daily purchase limit. And also when talking to a bank rep at 1333 yesterday she gave me the story of it depends on whether your account was opened with a Work Permit or not...and you could "not" change your cash withdrawal limit via phone...I had to go to a branch. And you may remember I was going to call back next week, hopefully get a different rep, and see what their story was. Either the bank rep was on medication or we just had a major communications disconnect...the latter probably being the case.

But based on the Bangkok Bank website saying your could change limits by calling 1333 and 4evermaat basically confirming that I decided to call the 1333 again a few minutes ago.

This time I did hear an option to change the "daily cash withdrawal" limit...apparently yesterday I only heard the option to change your "daily purchase" limit. Guess I need to practice my listening skills.

To change the Daily Cash Withdrawal limit to either 50K, 100K, 150K, or 200K after reaching the 1333 number Press 2 for English, then Press 3 to change card limits, then Press 2 to change the daily cash withdrawal limit. But if you Press 3 instead of 2 you can change your Daily Purchase limit. Your also have to enter your card and PIN number during this process to change limits...your also need to enter your birth date and depending on the card/amount you may have to enter the account number the card is linked to...I didn't have to do the account number entry thing....only had to enter my card number, PIN, and birth date.

You can change your daily "cash" withdrawal limit to either 50K, 100K, 150K, or 200K...."no option to set the cash withdrawal limit to zero." Also if you have a Be1st Smart chipped card you may currently have a daily cash withdrawal limit set of 500K but if you decide to lower it to aforementioned amounts between 50K-200K you will not be able to set it back to 500K per the instructions given during the process. Now I do not have a chipped card but the older magnetic strip card. I did change my cash withdrawal limit from 50K to 100K...then I changed it again back to 50K...and just to repeat there was not option to select zero baht for your daily cash withdrawal limit.

You can change your daily "purchase" limit to either 5K, 20K, 50K, 100K, 150K or set to Prevent any purchases (i.e., zero baht allowed for purchases). Mine was set to 20K...I changed it to 5K...then changed it back to 20K.

So, good listening skills come in handy. You can change your card's separate daily cash and purchase by calling 1333 and following the prompts....have two different limits...one for cash...one for purchases. For the 3rd party transfer and Bill Pay limits you do that online with...setting them all the way to zero if desired. When the dust settles you have 4 separate limits (well actually 5)...one for card daily cash withdrawal, one for card daily purchases, one for max 3d party transfer, one for daily max 3d party transfer, and one for Bill Pay.

It feels good to be out of the Twilight Zone.

Edited by Pib

From the Bangkok Bank website regarding withdrawal and spending (purchase limits)....when calling 1333 and listening to the limit choices they include a little more info than the website like being able to Prevent a Purchase (i.e., same as setting purchase limit to zero baht), can change from a 500K withdrawal limit but if you do you can't got back to the 500K withdrawal limit if I understood it right, etc. And just to repeat, you can't set the withdrawal limit lower than 50K.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stSmart/Pages/Default.aspx

post-55970-0-61824000-1460202390_thumb.j

It feels good to be out of the Twilight Zone.

I'm not sure we're quite there yet, Pib.

Because, what triggered this entire discussion was Hugh claiming that by fiddling with the other BBK Bank transaction limits, he claims he was able to withdraw 50,000 baht PER PULL from BKK Bank ATMs in single transactions -- not multiple/cumulative ones over a day.

And, nothing of what I've seen you post above regarding either the BKK Bank's online banking or telephone banking interfaces seems to address the issue of limits on ATM withdrawals PER WITHDRAWAL -- as opposed to DAILY ATM withdrawal limits.

Hugh's claim above was as follows:

Maximum Daily Amount

(total of all 3rd party transactions

in one day) 300,000

Maximum Bill Payment Transaction Amount 50,000
Copied from my own online banking with BKK Bank. This also resets the daily ATM amount AND the max cash per transaction from ATM. Last month I made 4 consecutive withdrawals of 50,000 each from ATM. Total withdrawn 200,000.

Thus far, I haven't seen anyone here say they've been able to duplicate the result he describes above. But if that were to be true, it would be quite a good result for many of us here.

Yea, I would love to have access to a Thai ATM that gave more than 30K per transaction. Also, regarding Hugh's talk about using ibanking 3d party/bill payment settings to change ATM withdrawal limits would be super easy to check. First he just needs to call the 1333 and follow the voice prompts to see what his current cash withdrawal and/or spending/purchase limit is. Then log onto ibanking change the 3d party/bill payment settings to whatever he wants...say like a max or minimum amount, then call back to 1333 just to see if the changes he made changed his ATM limits.

I've already tried above approach...and changing the 3rd party/bill payment limits has zero effect on my ATM limits.

This thread has been a positive for me as I've now figured out the various limits on my ibanking and debit card, where before checking and changing the cash withdrawal and purchase limits on my debit card was something I really didn't know how to do other than going to the branch. The ibanking limits I figured out long ago from frequent use.

I sure wish I could could lower the debit card/ATM cash withdrawal daily limit below 50K but no-can-do....can take the purchase/sending limit to zero/Not Authorized, but 50K is the lowest limit for cash withdrawal. I guess the bank has reasons for not allowing a lower or zero cash withdrawal setting...like they want you to use it for profit purposes...I can understand that.

Edited by Pib

Re the maximum limit PER ATM withdrawal, I suppose, the way to confirm or refute Hugh's approach would be to make the changes he said he made in BKK IBanking, and then go and try to use one of their ATMs for a greater than 25K withdrawal. I'd try it myself, except, I never keep that much in a liquid BKK Bank account... gigglem.gif

Meanwhile, it's tax time, so my head is in a different place right now, but Hugh's post above also raised a separate issue that I should have addressed above, and that is, what kind of card was he making his 50,000 baht BKK Bank withdrawals with?

If it was just making 50,000 baht withdrawals with BKK Bank's own debit card from his own BKK Bank balance, that really doesn't matter.

But if there was a way to use a FOREIGN debit card to withdraw more than 25,000 baht at a time from a BKK Bank ATM, that would be an entirely different matter.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I'd try it myself, except, I never keep that much in a liquid BKK Bank account... gigglem.gif

Oh, you are one of those guys who keep their big money in off-shore/overseas accounts. I'll be looking for your name in the Panama Papers leak. ;)

Oh, you are one of those guys who keep their big money in off-shore/overseas accounts. I'll be looking for your name in the Panama Papers leak. wink.png

When I first retarded from the military, went to work for an outfit based in London. I thought I would be clever and opened an HSBC "Jersey" acct to receive my un-taxed salary payments. Whoo Hoo, this is great! Within months, became aware of Uncle Sam's big overseas push on this type of thing. I emailed HSBC nervously, they assured me they never share confidential offshore banking details. I ended up transferring administratively to the US subsidiary within a year, so DDS went into my US credit union.

Shut the Jersey account down, above board tax return, and thus endeth my brief excursion in the offshore tax haven resorts. It wasn't long after I did that, the dominoes started to fall and although I was a minnow swimming among the big fish, certainly felt like I dodged a bullet. I'm such a wuss! tongue.png

I'd try it myself, except, I never keep that much in a liquid BKK Bank account... gigglem.gif

Oh, you are one of those guys who keep their big money in off-shore/overseas accounts. I'll be looking for your name in the Panama Papers leak. wink.png

Well, actually, more like YOU!!! Try to keep my in-country Thailand larger balances in accounts that have no ATM card attached, for security and safety reasons. And then just keep smaller balances in the accounts that have ATM cards, such as my BKK Bank one.