Local education to promote morals, Thai's values

webfact

Local education to promote morals, Thai’s values

BANGKOK, 4 April 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Interior has appointed morals and core values of Thais as the education strategy among schools under the supervision of local authorities, official says.

The Ministry of Interior’s Deputy Permanent-Secretary Chayapol Thitisak has revealed the Ministry’s guidelines for education development at institutes under the supervision of local administrative organizations.

The guideline calls for an establishment of a local administrative organization’s education committee, to cooperate with the committee of each educational institute on the inclusion of subjects which answer to the local needs, the National Council for Peace and Order’s policies, and the core value of Thais as part of the education curriculum.

These new education guidelines are expected to support the sustainable development of human resources within a four year time frame.

Currently there are 21,328 educational institutes operating under the local administrative organizations, including 1,515 schools and 19,813 nurseries.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-04-04 footer_n.gif

How do you teach morals and ethics to the young when everyday they are exposed to the lack of such by the countrys'self imposed leaders.

Thai's values are exactly what they are doing. Look after yourself, stuff everyone else, pay the commission to those higher up and pretend you are an upstanding citizen.

Even announce that "you are only doing it for the good of the country" and use the Computer Crimes act to stop being fully exposed.

How do you teach morals and ethics to the young when everyday they are exposed to the lack of such by the countrys'self imposed leaders.

Thai's values are exactly what they are doing. Look after yourself, stuff everyone else, pay the commission to those higher up and pretend you are an upstanding citizen.

Even announce that "you are only doing it for the good of the country" and use the Computer Crimes act to stop being fully exposed.

Using the polite articles 'krub' & 'ka' while ripping someone off, or extorting them on the side of the road. Murdering someone who cut you off in traffic, or lying that you understood someone or something (particularly directions) so you don't lose face. Illegally and corruptly amassing vast fortunes of unusual personal wealth, while 15.8 million of your citizens scratch around in the dirt for 50 baht a day. These also seem to be Thai values, krub. wai.gif

More BS about this cultured, moralistic utopia that doesn't exist and those banging on about such things are amongst the worst offenders.

Of course being a ' somebody ' permits the ' don't do as I do ... ' attitude.

Sounds like you have a political stone to grind. What is the link between the young and the top leaders?

The proverb has always been, 'charity begins at home'. The morals and values of parents are the models that the young would first follow and learn.

how 'bout promoting education ... And all the way through high school ... at a minimum.

coffee1.gif

The "education" system here is not about learning/teaching. It is a business; all that matters is the bottom line for the ones prospering from said system.

How you can turn this into a political bashing is beyond me! Kids don't learn morals and values from the government. They learn it from their teachers and their parents and families and by what they see their peers doing. You can give these kids their classes in morals and Thai values, but unless those are being followed up with and demonstrated by the people they interact with everyday, they will never be actually learnt.

I wonder which words are actually used?

จรรยาบรรณ

ค่า

ความคุ้มค่า

Did they set out what these morals and values are.

I shall be happy to write a curriculum for Thai Morals and Values 101

I will probably have some difficulty with the practicals and coursework let alone the assessment.

Top of the list will be the ncpo policy on the moralistic way to vote for their new way of life . How to vote only for the good people. How to encourage those pesky parents that keep voting for corrupt officials, to change their evil ways. It should be noted that the new constitution has deleted the section on academic freedoms. The right of all people to receive knowledge and give knowledge of their choice. This section (50) in both the 1997 constitution and interim constitution has been removed from the people's rights. In fact, in the human rights section, freedoms in education has not even recieved a mention. In my opinion, this will have grave effects to university lecturers, that once could teach about politics freely. They might all find themselves at a re education camp to learn the " how to follow the sheep system".

In a survey of the non-profit organization Sprouts, among 3,000 students from public and private schools, it was revealed that 55% of students were beaten last year by their teachers.

Well if that doesn’t work to educate students in moral standards and the myth called Thai values, maybe teachers have to switch to electric shocks and Tom Yum-boarding…

Moral values as a result of a committee?

Here some basic Thai (Thainess) values as shown be the leaders:

- Tear up the country's constitution at gun point after taking an oath to protect it

- lock up people with different opinions

- declare yourself above the law and act accordingly

- more?

I thought about posting a long rant about the delusion, you must suffer from, to see Thailand as a haven of moral and values...but then I got too tired to put up with this BS!

You can teach all the morals and values 'til you're blue in the face. Even the 'Thai' ones. It won't make a difference unless you practise what you preach.

My mum and teachers, etc, taught me not to steal and lie, etc. My mum didn't lie to people (well, the occasional white lie) but she certainly never stole or cheated. I learnt more from her actions than from her words. Children mimic adults. Especially adults they look up to. That's a fact.

Thailand is very much a country where talk is cheap. Everyone knows this, but ironically, no one talks about it publicly. I've taught in Thai schools where students were taught that cheating is bad. Yet everyone passed their exams anyway.

Ask a Thai student if cheating in an exam is bad. The instant answer you'll get will be 'YES'. Then ask 'why?'

Edited by rkidlad

Quoted this in full in case you cannot get The Nation

Staggering indictment of "Thai Value" I should say

Charter proposal to change 12 years of state-sponsored schooling slammed as it will take away students’ opportunity for high schooling
HUNDREDS OF THOUSAND children would potentially lose their chance for senior secondary or vocational education if the current charter draft sails through the public referendum.

The draft seeks to arrange the 12-year period of free education to start at kindergarten, instead of at Prathom 1 of primary education as at present. The move in effect threatens to heighten a risk of Mathayom 3 graduates losing their opportunity to further their studies.

"Once these graduates lose their chance to enrol in senior secondary education or a vocational programme, there is little chance they will go back to education again," said Parit Chiwarak, a student at Triam Udom Suksa School and the secretary general of the Education for the Liberation of Siam student group.

He said children who missed kindergarten had the option of home schooling or attending nursery centres provided by local administrative bodies, after which they still had ample opportunity to enrol at primary schools.

A 2012 report by Dr Dilaka Lathapipat revealed that the gap between rich and poor children had narrowed when it came to enrolment at senior secondary schools. In 1986 the enrolment rate for children from the poorest quarter of families was less than 10 per cent, and for children from the richest quarter of families it was about 45 per cent.

By 2008, the enrolment rate of children from the poorest quarter of families was more than 50 per cent and the enrolment rate of children from the richest quarter of families was nearly 80 per cent. The improvement was largely due to the 1997 Constitution, which stipulated that the state must provide mandatory education to children free of charge.

In recent years, governments have treated Prathom 1 to Mathayom 6 and certificate-level vocational education as mandatory. However, the current charter drafters are pushing for change. Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) chairman Meechai Ruchuphan said the change was designed to develop children at the right age.

"The development of children during the age of two to five years is of crucial importance. If poor children don't receive proper development at such an age, they will be at a disadvantage by the time they reach the senior secondary education level," he said.

He said the charter draft did not leave out children from poor families when they needed to further their education in the senior secondary or vocational level.

"We will have a scholarship fund established to help children from cash-strapped families," he said.

Meechai said the charter draft promised to lower the educational gap between economic classes because those who could afford the cost would have to pay for their children's tuition at senior secondary and vocational schools while children from low-income families could get free education. But Parit argued that children should have a right to free education, and they should not be seen as welfare recipients when receiving schooling.

The young thinker said he had nothing against the move to provide free kindergarten classes, but he disagreed with the decision to end free senior secondary and vocational education.

"The educational expenses for young children are lower than that of senior secondary education or vocational education," Parit said.

In the 2015 fiscal year, the government provided a state subsidy of Bt3,800 per senior secondary student each year. The subsidy soared to Bt5,868 for certificate-level vocational education. The subsidy needed to provide kindergarten education would likely be much lower.

Meechai has argued that the country's budget is too limited to provide 15 years of free education and the CDC believes that

if there were just two choices for children, it would be better for them to choose free kindergarten classes.

"But if the country has more money, we may consider providing up to 15 years of free education," he said.

In the 2015 fiscal year, the Education Ministry received a budget of Bt523 billion - which accounted for 20 per cent of the country's total budget. The Education Ministry then allocated Bt315 billion for the salaries of personnel.

Athapol Anunthavorasakul, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University, said it was the duty of the government to provide quality education to its citizens. He said if it did not have a large enough budget, it must engage other sectors of the country to participate.

"You have to mobilise resources so as to maintain children's rights to education," he said. "Don't treat education as a form of assistance that you extend to the less privileged."

A report by former deputy education minister Dr Varakorn Samakoses showed that even with 12 years of free education just 54.8 per cent of children finished their schooling.

A 2010 report by the Education Council came up with similar findings - 12.9 million children were not being educated even given 12 years of free education.

Athapol said the government should not cite budget constraints as a means to weaken children's educational opportunities.

"If it comes to state subsidies, the government has subsidised much of higher education," Athapol said.

He said university students paid tuition fees but the fees were far less than the actual cost of the education.

Elsewhere in the Asean region, governments deliver free education according to their capacities. Brunei has free education up to the PhD level. Singapore, Malaysia, Laos and the Philippines provide free primary and secondary education.

Indonesia and Cambodia also provide free primary and junior secondary education. Vietnam and Myanmar offer free primary education.

These new education guidelines are expected to support the sustainable development of human resources within a four year time frame.
Will we in 4 years see youngsters waving the book "Khao Cheu Tu" with quotations of the dear leader?

Quotes like:
"Teachers assign difficult homework to students. The other day, I had a look at homework of a por neung student). I must say that I didn’t even know how to do it. Homework is too difficult for students."
"Every farmer grows rice. Why are you surprised if the price goes down? Perhaps, farmers should grow rice once a year. Don’t grow it too often."
“Many have said that Thailand is a feudal state characterized by amaat and phrai. In reality, this is not true. King Chulalongkorn abolished slavery long time ago."
"About 53.8 percent of Thais are swamped under the heavy debts from financial institutions. You can solve this problem by not going shopping."
"I am a victim of a black magic by the anti-coup elements."
"The leader of the NCPO will soon pass on the responsibility to the new prime minister and he will not interfere in the affairs of the government."

You can teach all the morals and values 'til you're blue in the face. Even the 'Thai' ones. It won't make a difference unless you practise what you preach.

My mum and teachers, etc, taught me not to steal and lie, etc. My mum didn't lie to people (well, the occasional white lie) but she certainly never stole or cheated. I learnt more from her actions than from her words. Children mimic adults. Especially adults they look up to. That's a fact.

Thailand is very much a country where talk is cheap. Everyone knows this, but ironically, no one talks about it publicly. I've taught in Thai schools where students were taught that cheating is bad. Yet everyone passed their exams anyway.

Ask a Thai student if cheating in an exam is bad. The instant answer you'll get will be 'YES'. Then ask 'why?'

Reminds me of the home environment of a prominent undergrad who was caught cheating in an exam...

This would tell of the values and moral standing of?