Farangs touching bread in the supermarket

bubba1

I agree it's not acceptable to squeeze fresh bread with your bear hands.

Slightly off the bread topic I was amused to see 2 Koreans carefully loading two small cakes into a plastic bag (with some difficulty). They then paid for them and scoffed the two immediately with their bare hands!.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was some sort of quality control or the staff were willing to remove the stale bread then we wouldnt need to squeeze the bread rolls.

But I refuse to buy any more ( bricks of bread ) that are inedible when you get home...

try makro thick sandwich sliced and their bread rolls all packed and baked every day.

At least the bread is covered in wrapping, unless you mean crusty loafs.

I learned years ago never to buy cooked chicken in the market. The times I have watched the Thais pick them up, then put them back down again.

There must have been hardly any chicken at all that was not touched, these people could have been wiping their @rses,a short time before.

Agreed...poking, fondling and squeezing unwrapped bread is not cool. But apparently some people are such bread freaks they just can't help themselves.

But also bear in mind that these loaves of bread have already been tossed around by a half-dozen or so unwashed people, dropped on the ground/floor a few times and probably nibbled on by a number of assorted cockroaches by the time you pluck it off the shelf.

Do you really want to know...everything...about what you eat?

I have to say I think Jingthing is right, I squeeze a wrapped loaf only once, then 99% of the time, it goes in my trolley.

...never seen exposed bread accessible to the buyers.....

...the sad truth is they say a little prayer....

...it looks like bread...but alas.....that is where the similarities end.....

Perhaps you live in the boonies.

well, we cant all afford upscale digs in cosmopolitan pattaya.

If there was some sort of quality control or the staff were willing to remove the stale bread then we wouldnt need to squeeze the bread rolls.

But I refuse to buy any more ( bricks of bread ) that are inedible when you get home...

try makro thick sandwich sliced and their bread rolls all packed and baked every day.

Yeah thanks....but can you squeeze them??

a kiwi mate of mine spent last night in hospital because his father-in-law wanted to do 'Subway - Foot long'.

don't know where he got the bread from but up here in the 'very north east' good bread is as rare as rocking horse poo.

would love to have some 'real' bread, squeezed or not.

Agreed...poking, fondling and squeezing unwrapped bread is not cool. But apparently some people are such bread freaks they just can't help themselves.

But also bear in mind that these loaves of bread have already been tossed around by a half-dozen or so unwashed people, dropped on the ground/floor a few times and probably nibbled on by a number of assorted cockroaches by the time you pluck it off the shelf.

Do you really want to know...everything...about what you eat?

These bread freaks should be taken in for attitude asjustment they are a menice to society.

In Europe, we don't need to squeeze the bread to test for freshness, bakeries there won't sell stale bread. Unfortunately, Thai bakeries will keep baguettes out long enough that they could be sold in the hardware/tools aisle.

maybe, but even in Europe many breads just contain air within the crust, as they use too much yeast and the product lost too much humidity, so what should weigh 250 g only weighs 70 g in the end.

Same problem in Thailand with a number of bread products, but fortunately a handful of products are okay.

Edited by manarak

Op... get a life, or bake your own, you obviously want to live in a sterile world, which some do, to their own detriment, we need to be exposed to germs, more often, in order to boost our own immune system, some of us can remember when no-one wore gloves, when preparing food, of any kind, at any store, butcher and YES bakery, we survived and had a stronger immune system to our younger less tolerant off spring.

Op... get a life, or bake your own, you obviously want to live in a sterile world, which some do, to their own detriment, we need to be exposed to germs, more often, in order to boost our own immune system, some of us can remember when no-one wore gloves, when preparing food, of any kind, at any store, butcher and YES bakery, we survived and had a stronger immune system to our younger less tolerant off spring.

You might be right it's usually old smelly farangs that look like they are living on their last legs that touch. Let me guess you are a toucher ?

You might be right it's usually old smelly farangs that look like they are living on their last legs that touch. Let me guess you are a toucher ?

Absolutely, and I have lived a long healthy life, you, you dumb sh#t, still need to make it to my age. Oh, I might be old, smelly, nah, but hey, your comment says a lot about you.

Do you have a problem with 'older' folk...?

Or are you a young guy that can't crack it in a farangland bakery or a bird...?

I have a problem with any farang that does not shower, dresses like a clown and touches bare bread.

Do you have a problem with 'older' folk...?

Or are you a young guy that can't crack it in a farangland bakery or a bird...?

I have a problem with any farang that does not shower, dresses like a clown and touches bare bread.

On one thing I agree with you, and that is YOU have a problem, go and talk with your older dad. By the way, there are people from all walks of life, and all nations, that do not shower, that dress like clowns and touch bread, there is one difference between them, you say they dress, like clowns, by your comments, YOU are a clown. One day you, if you live long enough, will be one of those "old smelly farangs." Time to grow up, for Gods sake.

I am rather pernickety about food being touched and have been known to change my mind about buying some of that bread on display if I see it being handled by bare hands, be it by customers or shop staff. Sure, some people do not worry about hygiene so much, but I would rather make my own decisions on what I eat. I have often also changed my mind over the sweet or savoury pastries on seeing flies landing on it on display too. Bread needs to be checked for freshness though unless you just saw it being placed there (with bare hands maybe).

But I am afraid it pales compared to what happens at meal times when I visit the village..... now my Mrs makes separate plates for me!

Her mother even mauls the rice with her bare hands, which I have never seen her wash before meal times. Hasn't killed her yet through!

Yeah thanks....but can you squeeze them??

we normally go to makro at 7am.and the bread is just coming out on the shelf.its all wrapped and you can tell how fresh it is.

only problem i have is laying it flat in the freezer its so fresh.and their burger buns are ok.to.

thick sliced 33bht.rolls 1doz.pack 33bht.