McDonald's fast-food chain store admits rat at its Hat Yai store

webfact

McDonald's fast-food chain store admits rat at its Hat Yai store

040406-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- McDonald's Thailand has offered an apology to its clients over an incident at its chain store in Hat Yai where a rat was seen in a widely-shared video clip eating icecream toppings on a tray.

The incident took place on March 21 at about 1.25 pm. at Lee Garden Hat Yai outlet.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the fast-food chain store said that it immediately ordered an investigation the next morning after it learned about the incident. A check of the store’s CCTV system confirmed the report in the social media that there was a rat eating from a tray containing icecream toppings.

As the world’s business leader in quality food, the company insisted that it has always attached importance to quality food and regular maintenance of equipment in its outlets to ensure cleanliness and hygiene.

The company however defended that the Lee Garden Hat Yai outlet in question was surrounded with sewers and shops which were infested with rats and insects. Nevertheless, the company has regularly taken steps to deal with this problem.

As a result of this incident, the statement said McDonald Thailand would consult with the landlord, Lee Garden, to get rid of the rodents and insects in the shopping mall and its surrounding.

Also, it will consult with health officials to inspect areas inside and outside the Hat Yai outlet and food stalls near the outlet.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158192

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-05

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago on one of the first David Letterman shows, he did a skit goofing on Dunkin Donuts chain. Apparently earlier in the week there had been a video of a rat running over the donuts in the display case. So Letterman made up a video where he walks into a donut shop and says something like I'll take a white one, two black ones, the long tailed one over there..." etc all the time the video was showing a dozen rats walking around in the case. Too funny

Should have been closed down immediately by Mcdonalds and Thai health inspectors..but probably isn't any ! Either way it should not be allowed to trade till it's had a complete clean bill of health and extermination and procedures put in place. Sounds like they just carried on !!! TiT

Up here in the sticks rat is considered to be a fine snack food. BBQ rat is available in every market. McDonalds cannot see the opportunity that exists that is right under their nose??? Ray Kroc will be rolling in his grave!

I have seen rats in the kitchen by the swimming pool, at the British Club Silom. Also rats in Tesco Lotus Seacon Square. Staff were not concerned as the rats ran over their feet.

Edited by Estrada

"As the world’s business leader in quality food"

I nearly pissed myself laughing when i read that, quality food.

Look out for a full page McDonald's advert appearing in the paper any time now.

definitely not a macdonalds fan, but i must say that the one unfortunate night i spent in Hat yai, i sawat least 10 of the largest rats i have ever seen walking around busy streets without a care.

i have never ventured back, but i cant imagine it has gotten any better.

not sure if the issue here is macdonalds or hat yai.

Should have been closed down immediately by Mcdonalds and Thai health inspectors..but probably isn't any ! Either way it should not be allowed to trade till it's had a complete clean bill of health and extermination and procedures put in place. Sounds like they just carried on !!! TiT

They did not just carry on! They waited until the next day to start an investigation. Mai pen lai!

"As the world’s business leader in quality food...."

The worlds business leader would have had measures in place years ago to ensure things like this don't happen and wouldn't quickly blame others for something which is their responsibility in terms of the store they operate.