Use Of Foreign License - The Law

Roath,

I think you should go back to the top of the page and read the law again.

Your words - " ,,,the requirement to comply with Thailand law regarding the necessity to have a local DL at a later date."

There is no requirement, read the law.

Your words - "To purchase a vehicle in Thailand, you need a "certificate of residency", which is prima facie proof of residency at the time that you purchased the vehicle.

Hogwash, it means no such thing. Someone on a 30-day visa exempt entry staying at a hotel can get a certificate of residence.

Also, insurance companies do not make the law, and do not decide whether a license is valid or not for legally driving. A license is either valid or not in accordance with the law.

And buying a car, bike, or condo does not determine whether you are a resident or not. I Own a condo and a motorbike and have lived here for 10 years and although I consider myself to be a resident the Thai government does not. I am a foreigner on a "Temporary Stay". It says that right at the top of the form I fill out each year for another one year "Extension Of TEMPORARY STAY in The Kingdom. If I flew to Laos and back tomorrow without a re-entry permit I would be considered just like any other arrival and be given a 30 day entry stamp. The immigration officer would not be impressed at all if I told them that owning a condo and motorbike makes me a resident. I would probably just be warned not to overstay or I would be deported.

Edit: But I still agree with you that everyone SHOULD get a Thai license. As I've said before, the point of this thread was to make the correct facts available. They are right there in Post #1.

If a newbie poster on TV asks a simple question about using his foreign drivers license I think, given a choice, they would prefer to be told the truth rather that something that someone just made up

Good luck arguing with an insurance company about Thai law. For the record, English translations of Thai law are irrelevant so posting the same without a disclaimer to that effect is somewhat misleading. Thai law tends not to be as exact as most of us are used to coming from more "advanced" jurisdictions. Multiple posters have recorded difficulties with insurance when driving on a foreign DL when they have been here for longer than 3 months so as you say if not on tourist visa get a Thai DL

A certificate of residency states that you are lawfully resident in the country at the date of the certificate. Don't confuse de facto residency with legal residency or domicile for that matter. Ergo, not "hogwash".

The link to the Motor Vehicle Act in Thai language is right there in post #1.

It would be nice know if there are any differences and it's only a couple of short paragraphs if somebody with the required fluency would be willing to verify the translation.

Roath,

Your words - " ,,,the requirement to comply with Thailand law regarding the necessity to have a local DL at a later date."

Your words - "To purchase a vehicle in Thailand, you need a "certificate of residency", which is prima facie proof of residency at the time that you purchased the vehicle.

Hogwash, it means no such thing. Someone on a 30-day visa exempt entry staying at a hotel can get a certificate of residence.

Also, insurance companies do not make the law, and do not decide whether a license is valid or not for legally driving. A license is either valid or not in accordance with the law.

And buying a car, bike, or condo does not determine whether you are a resident or not. I Own a condo and a motorbike and have lived here for 10 years and although I consider myself to be a resident the Thai government does not. I am a foreigner on a "Temporary Stay". It says that right at the top of the form I fill out each year for another one year "Extension Of TEMPORARY STAY in The Kingdom. If I flew to Laos and back tomorrow without a re-entry permit I would be considered just like any other arrival and be given a 30 day entry stamp. The immigration officer would not be impressed at all if I told them that owning a condo and motorbike makes me a resident. I would probably just be warned not to overstay or I would be deported.

Edit: But I still agree with you that everyone SHOULD get a Thai license. As I've said before, the point of this thread was to make the correct facts available. They are right there in Post #1.

If a newbie poster on TV asks a simple question about using his foreign drivers license I think, given a choice, they would prefer to be told the truth rather that something that someone just made up

Good luck arguing with an insurance company about Thai law. For the record, English translations of Thai law are irrelevant so posting the same without a disclaimer to that effect is somewhat misleading. Thai law tends not to be as exact as most of us are used to coming from more "advanced" jurisdictions. Multiple posters have recorded difficulties with insurance when driving on a foreign DL when they have been here for longer than 3 months so as you say if not on tourist visa get a Thai DL

A certificate of residency states that you are lawfully resident in the country at the date of the certificate. Don't confuse de facto residency with legal residency or domicile for that matter. Ergo, not "hogwash".

The link to the Motor Vehicle Act in Thai language is right there in post #1.

It would be nice know if there are any differences and it's only a couple of short paragraphs if somebody with the required fluency would be willing to verify the translation.

Don't forget the many amendments.

Roath,

the certificate of residency required for a licence in thailand is not proof of residency it is prof that you are currently staying at the address shown. Residency is totally different.

Roath,

the certificate of residency required for a licence in thailand is not proof of residency it is prof that you are currently staying at the address shown. Residency is totally different.
Yes, that's why it's called "certificate of residence" and not "certificate of residency."

If you have a UK photocard license, it needs to be renewed every 10 years. To do this renewal, you must be registered as resident for tax in the UK as the DVLA run a check against HMRC database. i registered myself at my sister's address with the tax office, got my replacement license, then deregistered from there to get mine renewed a couple of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a better English translation of the Vehicle Act (aka Motor Vehicle Act). This is the translation done for the Thai government and posted on the Govt. website. It has all the amendments clearly marked as to what changed and what date it took effect. Nothing really different than the one in post #1 but the wording is different.

http://www.krisdika.go.th

Select English (upper right corner)

>Law Translation

Chapter III

Driving License

Section 42.

A driver shall be licensed and shall, while driving or controlling other driving trainee in driving, possess driving license and a copy of vehicle registration certificate for producing immediately to the competent official, except the driving trainee under section 57. In case of a driver who is an alien temporarily permitted to reside in the Kingdom under the law on immigration may possess a driving license under section 42 bis while driving in the Kingdom. In this case there shall be accompanied such driving license with the document prescribed in the existing Convention or Agreement between Thai Government and the Government of such country for producing immediately to the competent official. (Note 45) [The word “vehicle” is amended its spelling in Thai version under section 3 of the Vehicle Act (No. 12), B.E. 2546 (2003).]

Section 42 bis.(Note 46)

In the case where there is a bilateral agreement between the Government of Thailand and a foreign Government concerning reciprocal recognition of domestic driving licenses, an alien temporarily permitted to stay in the Kingdom under the law on immigration having a driving license issued by the competent official or a driving society recognized by the Government of the country under such bilateral agreement may use the driving license of such country in driving in the Kingdom in accordance with the category and type of vehicle specified in such driving license; provided that the existing Conventions and/or Agreements between the Government of Thailand and the Government of such country and all the provisions relating to the obligations of a driver under this Act must be complied.

Note 45 - Section 42 paragraph two is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

Note 46 - Section 42 bis is added by the Vehicle Act (No. 8), B.E. 2530 (1987).

I just received my UK 1yr IDP from the RAC...only took 2 weeks and that was with it being sent to me here in Singapore. RAC is better than AA as you can pay by credit card rather than having to use a cheque.

I just received my UK 1yr IDP from the RAC...only took 2 weeks and that was with it being sent to me here in Singapore. RAC is better than AA as you can pay by credit card rather than having to use a cheque.

Your 1 year IDP is only valid for an amount of time here ..

A member on another forum was involved in an accident and the police walked away happy that his IDP was valid but the insurance refused to pay out - the time limit is 3 months.

Bottom line is .. If your here for some time, then show you IDP at the DLT and get a Thai license.

https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/Pages/Driving-in-Singapore-How-to-convert-a-foreign-driving-licence.aspx

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences. biggrin.png

https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/Topics/Pages/Driving-in-Singapore-How-to-convert-a-foreign-driving-licence.aspx

https://www.angloinfo.com/thailand/how-to/thailand-transport-driving-licences. biggrin.png

I only got the IDP as I'm moving back to Thailand in July and I have had cops request the IDP even when I showed them a Thai license (saves hassle just to have it with you whether it is a requirement of law or not). I have a Singapore license for here as I have lived here 3 years now. :D

Your 1 year IDP is only valid for an amount of time here ..

A member on another forum was involved in an accident and the police walked away happy that his IDP was valid but the insurance refused to pay out - the time limit is 3 months.

Bottom line is .. If your here for some time, then show you IDP at the DLT and get a Thai license.

You can get the Thai DL without an IDP...just show your home country licence.and they will give you the same category as you have already (e.g. car or motorcycle) without a test

You don't need an IDP if you have a Thai licence (if you are in Thailand if course)

Like I said, I have been asked for my IDP even when I produced my Thai license to the cops. For the sake of a few quid, it makes sense to have the IDP just to save hassle if asked for it.

You don't need an IDP if you have a Thai licence (if you are in Thailand if course)

Like I said, I have been asked for my IDP even when I produced my Thai license to the cops. For the sake of a few quid, it makes sense to have the IDP just to save hassle if asked for it.

Strange, there is no reason at all for that.

Strange, there is no reason at all for that.

Policeman was either an idiot or trying to shake me down for a bit of tea money (rather a lot of them are)...saved me a ballache trying to argue the case anyway, so I will continue to carry an IDP when out on my bike or car. :)