Bangkok During Songkran -- Avoiding Water

JayBird

Hello,

This is my first time in Thailand during Songkran.

I *hate* people throwing things at me (including water/powder).

If someone does I'm liable to loose my temper (especially in the way I hear some jerky guys shoot you at point blank).... and you don't want to see me when I loose my temper :P

Is it feasible to do anything in Bangkok during these times? Presently I was contemplating:

1) Take a taxi from door of condo to Paragon mall (will it be safe INSIDE the Mall? Where the Taxi parks?)

2) Take BTS/MRT or Taxi to Chinatown (will there be mayhem in Chinatown itself? Will the BTS/MRT be safe or full of people who think its fun to shoot you?

3) Any place in Bangkok where one can observe Songkran in its more traditional way (how it was done 40 years ago with only a sprinkle of water as a blessing)

4) How safe is Mega Bang-na area? I never been there, thought it would be a good time to check it out.

Or should I just load up on food & water and binge watch Netflix for a few days? :)

Thank you.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to avoid water and white powder you have two choices. Stay locked up or leave Thailand during Songkran. Be warned that in many areas the 'festivities' will start a couple of days early and end a couple of days late. In our moo baan the kids will be 'practising' staring the 10th or 11th if the last couple of years is anything to go by.

Yes i hate it too, and try to avoid it.

But this time when i booked my trip i FORGOT about it.

Next year i will NOT be in Thailand during Songkran.

Will just stay in my room for a couple of days.

Was really hoping they would confine it to just ONE day because of the drought.

But i don't think that will happen.

But you should be okay if you travel by taxi to Mega Bangna and back.

Okey, sounds like door-to-door to a mall should be okey (they don't run around inside the mall shooting water do they?).

And I'm guessing Chinatown is out (as its' outside).

And I presume any soil anywhere might or might not be safe.

Reminds me of Death Race 2000

Bangkok is on the whole fine, if you avoid the 'main celebration' areas of Khao San Road, Silom Road, Lower Sukhumwit area (Sois 1 - Asoke where the biggest idiots can be found). If you come across a 'local' celebration which may occur in isolated pockets around the city they will invariably be mainly Thais who will not soak you or smear the talc/water paste on your face if you raise a hand and indicate you're 'not playing'...it is sadly the idiot foreigners in the tourist areas who think it is 'just a huge water fight' who ruin the festival. One of the pleasures of being in Bangkok for Songkhran is that it can feel like you have the place to yourself.

3) Any place in Bangkok where one can observe Songkran in its more traditional way (how it was done 40 years ago with only a sprinkle of water as a blessing)

4) How safe is Mega Bang-na area? I never been there, thought it would be a good time to check it out.

Mega Bang Na should be fine as it is some way from civilisation or any domiciles. When celebrating Songkhran, Thais tend to have a base usually at a 'mom and pop' store (for water and beers) and engage in water throwing with passing trucks.

Near Mega Bang Na is Wat Bang Phli Yai where many locals go to celebrate in a more traditional style after the modern practice of soaking all and sundry from the back of a truck has got boring, just stay in your taxi en-route.

All told, if you have some Thai language skills, avoiding or missing the celebrations would be a shame. I'd say have a wander around a small suburban neighbourhood and join in for a day or so.

Don't lose your rag if someone does give you a squirting as at worst it could result in physical unpleasantness if your anger is directed at a drunk Thai male, at best it could make yourself look a total Wally.

Word of advice. If you don't like getting wet. Better to stay home. I see tourists who do not understand the idea of water.

They get mad and the people will throw more and more on them.

If you go out, bag your phone and cash. Wear shorts and T-shirt. Smile and be nice.

Remember, we are guests in this Amazing country. This is a great time for Thai's to be with their families and friends.

They like it when tourists enjoy with them. Have Fun.

Why not use the time to take a few 2nd or 3rd class train tours around Thailand. There is (was) a really great thread from a guy who was doing just that. Search the forum and check it out as an alternative. Good chance to see a more real version of Thailand than Bangkok.

Why not use the time to take a few 2nd or 3rd class train tours around Thailand. There is (was) a really great thread from a guy who was doing just that. Search the forum and check it out as an alternative. Good chance to see a more real version of Thailand than Bangkok.

I thought of that (and I have visited some of the rural areas in Buriram towards Cambodia -- funny story there). But one thing I am looking forward to is, when everyone has left Bangkok the pollution level should be low... i'll be able to see .... and breathe! :)

So I'll try to avoid the touristy areas (and yes, as mentioned, it may well be the tourists that cause more problems than the Thais). I'll be with my Thai GF who can quite clearly indicate to others that I'm not interested. And if someone gets a twinkle in their eye, I'll just growl.

A 200-lb 6'3 guy growling usually gets the message across in any language :P

And yes, if the interiors of the Malls are safe then it means I can take taxis to places and not be stuck in 1-hour of traffic jams! Woohoo!

Thank you all for the replies!

There was a time when westerners were prime targets. If a Thai kid could soak a farang, it was like getting 20 points instead of 10! I think this still persists in some parts of town.

Yes, they will often set up with water and the plastic guns outside the 7-11 (so as to get beer and snacks). A few times, I have sneaked out to the 7-11 at 6 am, only to find that the kids are still drunk from chucking all night, and are even worse.

Another thing you need to watch is the van or flatbed truck which has buckets and hoses mounted. It can come around a corner and get you before you know it. The astute kids know this, and will sometimes park up in a side road ready to pounce.

If you are new and you really want to enjoy the whole Silom thing (000's of semi-naked people covered in powder, toting water-pistols) then please be aware of pickpockets. A Thai friend lost everything about 3 years ago. Some problems come from drunk farangs who strip naked and end up in police cells or fighting with Thais (remember that Thais abhor public nudity).

I am hydrophobic and I hate the damn thing anyway. I always go to Malaysia for a week. Somebody did mention that it's no good going to Laos or Cambodia or Vietnam (??) because they also do the water thing there.

There is no guaranteed escape unless you fly away OR get your beers and stay home for 4 days solid.

This period is as important to Thais as Christmas is to most farangs. OK, the traditional bit has been largely lost, but for many Thais, especially the youth, it is the best party of the year! Younger Thai friends really cannot understand my being so grouchy. They are amazed that I hate the festival so much! So, it just illustrates another example of TIT. We are "wrong", I suppose.

Eddy

I'm fine with the whole water-gun getting-wet thing *IF* I wan to participate. It's the 'you're participating even if you don't want to' part that I dislike. If I was in Pattaya and fully wanted to play at it for half a day, then that would be one thing. But if I want to get on with my day and do normal things (and not have my phones/gadgets that I always carry turned into garbage) and get hosed down against my will: Then I get annoyed :)

I thought of that (and I have visited some of the rural areas in Buriram towards Cambodia -- funny story there). But one thing I am looking forward to is, when everyone has left Bangkok the pollution level should be low... i'll be able to see .... and breathe! smile.png

So I'll try to avoid the touristy areas (and yes, as mentioned, it may well be the tourists that cause more problems than the Thais). I'll be with my Thai GF who can quite clearly indicate to others that I'm not interested. And if someone gets a twinkle in their eye, I'll just growl.

A 200-lb 6'3 guy growling usually gets the message across in any language tongue.png

And yes, if the interiors of the Malls are safe then it means I can take taxis to places and not be stuck in 1-hour of traffic jams! Woohoo!

You could be 400 lbs and 8 feet tall - you still won't come off well if you give it the apeman act with a bunch of drunk Thais.

Stay home, tough guy, or learn to take it with a smile.

Firstly, you'll be far more relaxed if you place your phone and wallet in a Zip-lock bag, just in case.

And if you get splashed - accept your fate and take it like someone who enjoys life.

If people are 'playing water' outside the front of your condo, get security to call a Taxi to your door, or use Grab Taxi or Uber.

More often than not - in 'normal areas'... If someone is 'playing water' and you don't wish to get wet, you can smile, put your hand up and you will be spared...however, there are no guarantees at this time, idiots are everywhere !

Avoid tourist areas where its a given that you'll get soaked (Silom, Koh Sarn, Siam etc)

You'll be fine inside shopping Malls - no one throws water inside.

You ‘should’ be fine on the BTS, but others will be wet and you might get upset when a soggy hottie brushes up against you…

China Town - you'll likely get a moderate soaking !

Firstly, you'll be far more relaxed if you place your phone and wallet in a Zip-lock bag, just in case.

And if you get splashed - accept your fate and take it like someone who enjoys life.

If people are 'playing water' outside the front of your condo, get security to call a Taxi to your door, or use Grab Taxi or Uber.

More often than not - in 'normal areas'... If someone is 'playing water' and you don't wish to get wet, you can smile, put your hand up and you will be spared...however, there are no guarantees at this time, idiots are everywhere !

Avoid tourist areas where its a given that you'll get soaked (Silom, Koh Sarn, Siam etc)

You'll be fine inside shopping Malls - no one throws water inside.

You ‘should’ be fine on the BTS, but others will be wet and you might get upset when a soggy hottie brushes up against you…

China Town - you'll likely get a moderate soaking !

Thanks for the detailed responses, greatly appreciated! So yes, I'll stick with the taxis, malls, and try to hit up a temple. And yes, I'll get upset if a soaking hottie brushes up against me, as my GF will pinch me so hard I'll yelp :P (What is it with Thai girls and pinching?)

I thought of that (and I have visited some of the rural areas in Buriram towards Cambodia -- funny story there). But one thing I am looking forward to is, when everyone has left Bangkok the pollution level should be low... i'll be able to see .... and breathe! smile.png

A 200-lb 6'3 guy growling usually gets the message across in any language tongue.png

You could be 400 lbs and 8 feet tall - you still won't come off well if you give it the apeman act with a bunch of drunk Thais.

Are they drunk during the day time, or is this only at night time do they start to feel a bit tipsy?

Interesting analogy. Especially since people often used to hang around the barber shop even tho they did not want a haircut, but as it was a point to meet and socialize

When would working men hang around the barbershop? Oh, that's right, on Saturday when they were getting their hair cut.

Are they drunk during the day time, or is this only at night time do they start to feel a bit tipsy?

There will be a fair amount of drinking, as it will be a 5 day weekend for most.

Growling will likely result in a more vigorous soaking, as will your GF trying to intervene.

Plan on getting wet and having fun, if not for you, for you GF, she'll love it.

Bangkok is on the whole fine, if you avoid the 'main celebration' areas of Khao San Road, Silom Road, Lower Sukhumwit area (Sois 1 - Asoke where the biggest idiots can be found). If you come across a 'local' celebration which may occur in isolated pockets around the city they will invariably be mainly Thais who will not soak you or smear the talc/water paste on your face if you raise a hand and indicate you're 'not playing'...it is sadly the idiot foreigners in the tourist areas who think it is 'just a huge water fight' who ruin the festival. One of the pleasures of being in Bangkok for Songkhran is that it can feel like you have the place to yourself.

Mega Bang Na should be fine as it is some way from civilisation or any domiciles. When celebrating Songkhran, Thais tend to have a base usually at a 'mom and pop' store (for water and beers) and engage in water throwing with passing trucks.

Near Mega Bang Na is Wat Bang Phli Yai where many locals go to celebrate in a more traditional style after the modern practice of soaking all and sundry from the back of a truck has got boring, just stay in your taxi en-route.

All told, if you have some Thai language skills, avoiding or missing the celebrations would be a shame. I'd say have a wander around a small suburban neighbourhood and join in for a day or so.

Don't lose your rag if someone does give you a squirting as at worst it could result in physical unpleasantness if your anger is directed at a drunk Thai male, at best it could make yourself look a total Wally.

Strange that. This will be my 9th Songkran and 99.9% of the water/powder nonsense has been done to me by obnoxious Thais. The whole purpose of it seems to be malicious and aimed at provoking people, hence the huge ice cubes, rancid water, chucking bucketfuls at motorcyclists etc.

If I were you with an obvious quick temper, I'd stay indoors.

You dont have a clue, never mind press on, have at it.

Drunk all day long for 7 days at least.

In Thai its known as, antarai jet wan, get you g/f to translate.

If she cant, it means 7 days of danger.

Mega Bang Na, why would you even want to go there, its nothing but a shopping centre for the HiSo.

I'm surprised no one's

come out with the old

'Songkran used to be

about a respectful

pouring of water over

the hands' bullshit

Well my mrs is a Mon, where she comes from it is very much like that, thankfully the KSR types havent yet found.

And yes it is still like that to this day, it isnt celebrated on the same days as Bkk, but in accordance with Mon traditions.

And yes this is in Bkk, but you wont find it on some digital entrepreneurs blog, thankfully.