Dog washing tips

Got a little French Bulldog and was having all sorts of trouble with her skin. What appeared to be mite bites and lumps, scabs on her skin. Getting a few ticks. Quite a few expensive trips to the vet as the irritation would cause her to scratch and make things worse. Antibiotics, Anti hystamines

Vet suggested we try bathing her in antibacterial hand soap and we haven't looked back. We use the Dettol brand. Everything has completely healed up over the last few months and no ticks to be seen. Wash her and her bedding weekly

Good tip. Unfortunately washing our dog has become so difficult we have almost given up. Hates water and struggles against restraint with all his strength. Strong enough to drag me across our concrete drive and get me scratched up. The only thing we haven't tried is hog tying him....which I will try next washtime.

Great suggestion and we thank you for letting us know. I find that that a selenium based shampoo (Head & Shoulders?) works great for controlling skin fungus infections before they become so bad from scrathching that they become infected sores (bacterial).

Thanks for the information.

One of my dogs has a skin problem, something apparently incurable that I can't think the name of at the moment.

Been to several vets each costing more than the last but seems it is incurable. The only thing keeping the symptoms in check are steroids pill which I give every other day. This helps but is making the poor doggie rather fat. sad.png

Will give the medicated soap a go, maybe it works and then can stop with the steroids and little doggie can get down to a slim doggie shape again.

thumbsup.gif

It helps that our dog loves to swim. Half-hour for a swim once a week, followed by a strong doggy shampoo and a blow-dry seem to keep things under control.

Dog%2B-%2B1.jpg

Cookie%2B%2B001.jpg

Lucky you!

My dogs (apart from the dog with the skin problem...) are quite happy to paddle in the sea every day - but will only swim if I have to go into deep water to avoid the rocks. Only then will one or two follow me - and even then, only if I make it clear that I am there to rescue them if they get into trouble biggrin.png .

A week later, the dog with bald patches developing has had her 2nd anti-bacterial 'hand wash' wash.

So far, things look about the same - but its early days.

Two weeks later and the difference is dramatic! Pretty much all of the hair has re-grown and I have to look closely to see that the hair is a little sparse in a couple of areas.

I'm now going to additionally try it on another dog that has lumps and bumps on his tummy.

Can't thank you enough for this tip Kenny 202! smile.png

A week later, the dog with bald patches developing has had her 2nd anti-bacterial 'hand wash' wash.

Two weeks later and the difference is dramatic! Pretty much all of the hair has re-grown and I have to look closely to see that the hair is a little sparse in a couple of areas.

I'm now going to additionally try it on another dog that has lumps and bumps on his tummy.

Really pleased for you, Mine seems to be having a little relapse with the heat. Not too bad yet. Might have to step up and give her more baths, been a bit slack. I suspect the hand wash may have something in it (eucalyptus etc) whatever irritates them doesn't like

Edited by Kenny202

Really pleased for you, Mine seems to be having a little relapse with the heat. Not too bad yet. Might have to step up and give her more baths, been a bit slack. I suspect the hand wash may have something in it (eucalyptus etc) whatever irritates them doesn't like

I'm pretty sure that my dog with the tummy 'lumps and bumps' problem is at least partly due to the heat and humidity as he came with me from England - the change in climate must have come as a bit of a shock!

A bit like me really laugh.png , every mossie/tick bite or small wound turns into an inflamed area.

My dog that is about to get her 3rd 'anti-bacterial hand wash' treatment is an adopted soi dog - but even the dogs born here seem to suffer from skin problems, the heat and humidity tend to make any little problem a lot worse.

You guys are making me feel guilty sad.png

Have to admit not having got round to using the soap yet so can't comment. Every day I have the good intention but something always gets in the way.

Must give it a try soon - tomorrow - yes definitely tomorrow thumbsup.gif

Kenny202 is your dog on pills for the skin condition and after the hand wash have you stopped with the pills?

smile.png

Have to admit not having got round to using the soap yet so can't comment. Every day I have the good intention but something always gets in the way.

Kenny202 is your dog on pills for the skin condition and after the hand wash have you stopped with the pills?

smile.png

yep she was on steroids and antihystamines but stopped those some time ago

smile.png

yep she was on steroids and antihystamines but stopped those some time ago

Good to know, the pills are making her fat so want to get her off them

Thanks thumbsup.gif

(Note to self -Tomorrow !!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Been a week since I gave doggie a wash with Detol soap.

Also stopped giving her the pills at the same time.

Early days but have not had a skin flare up yet - fingers crossed.

Doesn't seem to have lost any of the flabby weight yet but that could be due to getting less exercise, just to hot to go running around in the park sad.png

We'll wait and see what happens after a few more weeks and more Detol baths. wink.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed if I get slack and let the baths slide for 2 or 3 weeks, the itchiness and red areas come back. Looks like small clusters of mites or something. As soon as I resume the baths at least every week she's right as rain. Must be something in the dettol they don't like. Eucalyptus?