mmigration in Phuket, interviewing my Philippine gf and accusing of illegal work

indieke

I take my gf, twice a year to Thailand. In total now 11 trips. I go back to Europe, she to Philippines.

We are used when she comes to Thailand, she is interviewed by Phil immigration. First time is always hardest, after that still questions, but the stamps in passport makes it easier.

In Thailand, never questions asked, neither coming in, or out.

Until today. when leaving in Phuket, she was taken aside by an immigration officer and was given a hard time. A very hard time in very bad English. She was directly accused to have worked illegally in Thailand, as she stayed too long to their liking. Now we never ask for a visa. We tried once, but was almost treated like a naughty girl in the Embassy of Thailand in Philippines. So with the extension possible, I just do that. The most ridiculous was, that are talking about a stay of 6 weeks, not 6 months. Who would hire a worker for only 6 weeks!

She stayed calm. Showed them photos on her phone of us together, all the things she done, and tried to explain, her bf likes Thailand, that is why we always meet there. They then just released her, because she must have been convincing enough and also, she had nothing to hide. She not look like a cheap girl or prostitute, but at 26, she does looks younger then her age. She is very decent.

In 6 years it is the only time this happen, but I really wonder what the is happening in Thailand. The Russians buy up everything, taking control over real estate, there is even an agreement between all Asian countries for free labour between countries, that just Thailand is doing difficult about! Because they are lazy, do not speak their languages and so on!

So, if you are planning to take your gf to Thailand, there is not only Phil immigration to think about, but some, good arguments for Thai immigration too!

<<<< Embedded links to another forum have been removed >>>>

There is no agreement between all Asian countries for free movement of labour between countries !

If your g/f has been using frequent visa exempt entries she will attract the attention of immigration who will want to know what she is doing in Thailand.

Much better she has a visa for any future visits.

There is no agreement between all Asian countries for free movement of labour between countries !

If your g/f has been using frequent visa exempt entries she will attract the attention of immigration who will want to know what she is doing in Thailand.

The point is, that 6 weeks is a bit short to, do illegal work, so why bother her, without any proof? A visa? Do you know what you are talking about? We did try that. We went to the consulate in Cebu. They did their best to ask requirements, that was very difficult to provide, and on top of that, she almost came back in tears as she was questioned of her purpose of visit and the officer lectured her; of being a bad girl to go with a foreigner!

She went on holiday with her bf, respected Thai laws, never one day overstay. Never no fast return after an extension either. She is my gf for a while now;, so normal she meets me there! I have more extensions then her, never bothered with it, but then I am no easy target, as her.

The point is, that 6 weeks is a bit short to, do illegal work, so why bother her, without any proof? A visa? Do you know what you are talking about? We did try that. We went to the consulate in Cebu. They did their best to ask requirements, that was very difficult to provide, and on top of that, she almost came back in tears as she was questioned of her purpose of visit and the officer lectured her; of being a bad girl to go with a foreigner!

She went on holiday with her bf, respected Thai laws, never one day overstay. Never no fast return after an extension either. She is my gf for a while now;, so normal she meets me there! I have more extensions then her, never bothered with it, but then I am no easy target, as her.

I have provided you with good advice and I do know what I am talking about.

Maybe your g/f should apply for a visa in Manila.

Many ladies obtain Thai visas in the Philippines.

Do you speak and understand Tagalog ?

I have provided you with good advice and I do know what I am talking about.

Maybe your g/f should apply for a visa in Manila.

Many ladies obtain Thai visas in the Philippines.

Do you speak and understand Tagalog ?

Never doubt about your intentions. But first, being in Cebu, not so easy to go Manila. And honestly, I not think that would change anything. That officer decided her to give her a bad time LEAVING Thailand. I think a visa would not changed anything.

I had two gf I took to Thailand, both 11 trips, neither a problem both ways, except one time in Clark, where she was lucky I was there. Mind , my first gf, not this one. With or without visa, I think the officer, just wanted to interview her about her stay in Thailand, and use his power. On visa, she would have been more suspicious as she would even have had a longer stay. Nobody would go through the trouble to hire a girl for 6 weeks.

You don't want to seem to listen to anyone. You comment about free labour shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Get her a visa and the chance of any problems will be reduced.

Many Thais have a superiority complex with Filipinos it's just something you will have to deal with.

From the sound of your first post, you don't seem to like Thailand much, are you coming to Thailand on your breaks because you like it, or because its convenient, time to change girlfriends maybe,

OP. why all the links to another site in the OP?

SP-he might have the same virus I had six months ago. Whenever I would put in a place or hotel it would immediately create a link. Forget the name of the virus but it took Zkill and a couple other stingers to finally get rid of it.

OP preponderance of Filipinos working in Thailand now, many illegal. I think you just got hit with some bad timing this time around. best you take johnatong's advice if you want to avoid in the future.

I wouldn't generalize on the basis of one instance. You probably had bad luck and got a difficult immigration officer and maybe one having a bad day. Next time you probably won't have a problem. The sky isn't falling.

A little off topic maybe but I know that in North America there are a lot of Asian women that come in for a 6 week period. make a ton of money and then go either home or to a new country.

Thailand has the same facilities although a little different here that they worked in as dancers.

Thai immigration may have looked at the annual and thought maybe she was doing something like that.

BTW when travelling I think most of the girls look decent that is so they do not set off alarms.

I agree with Dan5. Experiences with immigration will vary like interactions with people in any public facing job. And with all due respect to those who advise that a visa will make the problem go away, I say maybe not. It could simply be discrimination toward the Filipina and if so, IMO, a visa would not change that. If I were the OP I would shrug this one off.

This is a problem which ever way you are going & I sympathize,

Had same problem with G/F going to Malaysia for 30 days from here (once actually sent back) Had been 11 times no hassle

Next time I accompanied no problem.

Indo G/F given hard time going to Singapora also.

As to" working",, many girls go to Malaysia & Singapora for 4 weeks at a time from Vietnam, Thailand & Philippines so that one will

not wash.

In regard to labour laws being relaxed between the 10 countries it will not happen at this level.

Only for highly qualified professions ,,,,???

to those who have yet to apply for a Thai visa in manila, i say reserve your judgements for another day. the filipino staff at the Thai consulate there will grab any opportunity to waste your time and belittle visa applicants for good measure. they don't discriminate - whether you're a minor, elderly, ill, etc. hit the deck because they will throw cr@p at you citing every excuse known to man. the immigration officers in phuket have the authority to question the OP's gf, but filipinos are entitled to free 30 day tourist visas. OP, next time you and your gf fly to thailand, tell her to carry evidence of employment in the philippines, limit her stay to 30 days or less, show a printed ticket back to the philippines or another country, hotel booking confirmation, and maybe some money to show that she has means to support herself during her stay in thailand.

OP. why all the links to another site in the OP?

trying to live off his sextourist blog

They have rules in Thailand.... She is competing with Thaigirls about you. Maybe they are angry a Philippina won the Hooters contest in Phuket hahahaha

From the sound of your first post, you don't seem to like Thailand much, are you coming to Thailand on your breaks because you like it, or because its convenient, time to change girlfriends maybe,

Woaw, what are you people jugeable!

First, this post is not only about complaining about Thai immigration, but to warn guys like me who spend time with their gf in Thailand, that now they not have to plan well their passage thru Philippine immigration but now the Thai one could give you a hard time too. So if your girls is alone you better have the same documents as in Philippines. And pics to show she were indeed in Thailand with you as a tourist.

And for the moralists. I come to Thailand for 26 years, so I know a bit more then the average Joe. I saw Thailand change. Saying I not seem to love it is rubbish, but I am not blind that like in many countries in the world, things are not going for the better.

I may love some aspect about Thailand still, but I think it is my right, to prefer Philippine girls. They speak better English, I prefer their mentality. My former Philippine gf, came 5 times with me to Thailand (the reason we are no couple any more is nobody's business), my actual lovely girl, it was her 6th time.

I am aware about all the things that are mentioned here but some big mouths are not always right. First, a visa will not change anything, and will be refused for a girl that has no official employment, or income. We been through that.

SO I have arranged 11 trips to Thailand from Philippines, and to be treated like a sex tourist is very low. I had long term relations with two nice girls, and my actual gf I know for 6 years, had only me as a bf, and is a gem. No money chaser like many Thai girls, and real affectionate. So if we decide to go on holiday in Thailand it is our choice, and we are not novices. Phil immigration always been difficult, but good argumentation, proof and a decent look, have never give any problem.

So in all these trips, Thai immigration, never even blink at her passport, if necessary, extension never a problem. So if now an officer accuse my gf for a stay of only 6 weeks, not even use all of her extension, is something to think about. A decent girl be treated like a criminal also. If she would have been an illegal worker, she would have had a visa, had extension for months, and not a stay for only 6 weeks and months between her visit to the Kingdom. Abuse of power, nothing more. But we learn from it, and now always will have enough proof to show an idiot that she is just on holiday. Which not means I not understand the problem of illegal Phil workers, with a bit of good will, she not fit that profile at all, except her nationality. An Arab is not a bomber because he is Muslim, A Belgian like me, not only eat fries!

Asking questions when in doubt about reason for entry is not being treated like a criminal.

Time to relax a big and accept other people's opinions, which does nkgdan you have yo agree with them.

@indiekek

The reason people are cynic is because they are right 100% of the time

older man, not fulltime in Asia, "visiting" girlfriends

girlfriend able to "leave work" 6weeks in SEA and then come back?

That is why the immigration office gives a hard time, they profile people. It's the same as when my girlfriend came to my country. We have one of the hardest visa, tons of forums about the evil visa interviewing lady. We get there and it goes absolutely smoothly.. i knew from the start the problem was the girls and not the people working at the consulate.

Being able to leave 6weeks as a low paid worker is not a good sign for any immigration office, if i were an immigration officer in my country and a old german guy came with in with a young white and bit trashy girl that had just left her eastern euro country for 6weeks id be very suspicious as well. Nothing to do with a power trip. It's just good common sense. If he gets married with her then he could show that she's living off him. Right now she's just a girlfriend that can leave her work 6weeks at a time.

My God, I never seen on any forum such a rude people, shame on some here. And making no sense at all. A bit too long expat maybe, under the hot Asian sun. Crucifying my Gf and myself, instead of understanding the warning I am given.

My father and mother were 24 years différence in age. So what? My mother was not Asian, studied law, became a judge.... The mariage lasted until my father gave his last breath at 90.

The profile? Well my gf not look trash, but very decent, as she is. And that she is with an "older man" is also not written on her face, when passing immigration.

When somebody start a subject on a public board, to warn people about this attitude of an immigration officer, with probably not enough to do (you pass immigration in one minute in Phuket), it is the attitude of the officer that is in question here, not the girl, who was given a hard time.

I am not the kind of guy to sit in bars and amuse myself with girls who for a few baht, go with any guy. Or get drunk in public. In my life, I never had a shortage of girls, and some of the past are still in good terms. I also been around enough, to fully understand how some older guys get trapped by younger Asian women, for they money, and the bar-girls with many lovers, who think they are the only one, the last thing I am is naïve.

As for my gf, I think some guys are racist. Not every Asian girl is cheap, and if you have a good Philippine woman, is the best thing that can happen to a man. And believing a woman can not be faithful, just because her partner is older, will all depend on the character of the girl. For the moment I was her first and I am still her last, no need to worry, thank you. Instead of sending her stupidly money, I send her to school, and learned her to stand up to herself, so she not depend on me. She is one of the most beautiful souls I encountered in my life. Not like some people giving comments here, that shows only why the world has gone toast. And who think they know it all, with their big mouth on a public board.

But for understanding people out here, just be prepared at immigration, even 10 times, she was not bothered.....

Sure mate, a lot of salty dogs on this forum, helps their own perspective in life to badger yours.

Percentage-wise you yourself write "even 10 times, she was not bothered.." so as one poster succinctly put you caught the wrong immigration guy on the wrong day, Bad luck my friend !!

You got the immigration guy who is as salty as some of these posters cheesy.gif .

Cheers and enjoy life thumbsup.gif

"instead of understanding the warning I am given."

The "warning" means nothing and does not apply to most!

If your g/f had had a VISA it is extremely unlikely that she would have been "bothered"

Continuing to use visa exempt entries in future will ensure she will continue being "bothered" until she (and you) take heed of the "warning" about needing a VISA.

Indieke, as some others mentioned your GF just happens to get an Immigration Officer who had a bad day.

I agree that some people giving comments out of line, but if I just read your comments I can understand:

Copy and Paste from your previous posts:

comment nr 17: First, a visa will not change anything, and will be refused for a girl that has no official employment, or income.

comment nr 21: I send her to school, and learned her to stand up to herself, so she not depend on me.

I can understand that an Immigrations Officer get suspicious when a girl visit for the 6 time on a Visa Exempt Entry and extension for another 30 day of stay.

I just wonder myself, a girl without employment and income, going to school not depending on Farang boyfriend how can she pay for 6 trips to Thailand?

I hope you don't get angry, I wish you all the luck and happiness with this girl but travelling in and out Thailand with Visa Exempt Entrys does rais eyebrows with Immigration Officers.

There are many more posts in this Forum about the usage of this kind of entry.

"instead of understanding the warning I am given."

The "warning" means nothing and does not apply to most!

If your g/f had had a VISA it is extremely unlikely that she would have been "bothered"

Continuing to use visa exempt entries in future will ensure she will continue being "bothered" until she (and you) take heed of the "warning" about needing a VISA.

I have most the time a visa, ok? Now your intentions are maybe good, but as you can read, we done this trip a few times.

Let me tell you this, she went for a visa. And was discouraged to arrange it by the officer, who was not helping and very rude and lecturing her, at a point she did not wanted to go back.. So we never got any problems doing it this way. We are well prepared and as I stated have all the documents and proof for the purpose of her travel. This was again, NOT for Thai immigration, but PHILIPPINE, to allow to get out of the country.

In Thailand never a problem. Neither in or outbound (inbound is more logical, you agree?). We been afraid, that as well Phil or Thai immigration would make problems, as her ticket is for more then a 30 days trip, but asked once in Phil, the explanation of a local extension was enough.

Then we never stay months in Thailand. As stated enough, 6 weeks is too short to come all the way over from Philippines to work. And if the officer gave her a hard time, it was as he intended it to do any way, and what would a visa help in this matter, as she was leaving and not coming and be refused access.

So understand, that I completely understand that a visa is guaranty for less trouble (and again doubt in this case), but that our experience learned us, that for a visa, much more questions are asked, not like in Europe, there is a real interview from Hitler's cousin, and if this would be obtained without hussle, we certainly would prefer it that way.

And have YOU traveled with a Philippine girl to Thailand? Have you experienced otherwise in Philippines? Do you know that with a visa, the Philippine immigration officer can stil hold you is he is suspicious about the purpose of your trip.

So, yes, I would prefer a visa any time, but if it was so easy to obtain in Philippines as in Belgium ( 3 pictures, fill in a form, pay), then of course we would go for it. Some mentioned employment, well they have a lot of questions about that too. My girl has no contract, so officially she is not working. Not her fault, but in Philippines, you take what they offer you......... And if contract, indeed she could not spend all that time with me either.

As to your opinion, this is not useful, as visa is any way the way to go, know that we encountered many couples in teh same situation as us, who had trouble obtaining a visa in Philippines, and not want to get through this any more.....

I understand your irritation about this and I know very well that the Thai Embassy in Manila and the consulate in Cebu make it very difficult for Philippine citizens to be given a tourist visa for Thailand. One of the problems centers on the fact that the Immigration computers in Thailand give the IO a warning at the 6th Visa Exempt attempted entry which mandates added scrutiny. It is true that with a Visa- this would not have happened. You may want to consider flying from Manila to Penang or Laos and get a Visa there for Thailand. It would probably be better to meet in Manila and then travel forward to Thailand together after getting the Visa in a third country. That will break the 6 entry scrutiny that will probably continue on her next entry. I hope this helps.

It happens. I got pulled out of line a few years ago with a current 'O ME' visa and was questioned for several minutes. After answering the same few questions over and over again, I was taken to the little back office and asked the same questions again.

"Where do you work?"

"Where do you live?"

"How long have you lived here?"

"Where do you work?"

It went on like for 15 minutes. All papers in order. Well dressed. Handsome. Etc.

The OPs GFs number was just up....It happens.

Indieke, as some others mentioned your GF just happens to get an Immigration Officer who had a bad day.

I agree that some people giving comments out of line, but if I just read your comments I can understand:

comment nr 17: First, a visa will not change anything, and will be refused for a girl that has no official employment, or income.

comment nr 21: I send her to school, and learned her to stand up to herself, so she not depend on me.

I can understand that an Immigrations Officer get suspicious when a girl visit for the 6 time on a Visa Exempt Entry and extension for another 30 day of stay.

I just wonder myself, a girl without employment and income, going to school not depending on Farang boyfriend how can she pay for 6 trips to Thailand?

I hope you don't get angry, I wish you all the luck and happiness with this girl but travelling in and out Thailand with Visa Exempt Entrys does rais eyebrows with Immigration Officers.

Robert, your comments are very respectful, no problems to talk about this in a decent way.

She may not depend on me, but sure, that I pay the ticket, give her travel money and so on, just like anybody else in the mass that travels with an Asian girl. When she is at home, she has her income, which is around 8000 P, that is not much. I give her an extra, not much, to buy some things for herself. She is content with that, her only worry is that I come back.

Visa exempt is what it is, to make travel to Thailand easier. I have 26 years of travelling to Thailand. If less then a month, not need it, and I have now used myself extension many times myself over a visa, for a BIT longer stay. I also, neither has she ever had an overstay.

Another problem, if you do have a visa, is that one's you cross a border a regular one is not valid any more. So lets say I stay 7 weeks. I stay 2 weeks in Thailand, and decide to go to Myanmar, Cambodia or whatever. Then my visa is not valid on return. So if I return after a week, I have the right to stay another 30 days which is not enough. Fifteen if I come back in by land.

I had myself problems on my previous trip, not the last one. For the first time in 26 years they would not let me board in Nice and Frankfurt without visa. To have no visa, arguments are the same as above. I stayed calm, ask for somebody more responsable and kindly explained that Thailand now made it easier, because they allow extension since some time and they should know that. After seeing my previous extension, I was allowed to board.

I have respect for you meaning, but I think in this case it was just powerplay of the officer. She was not made a hard time because of an extension, no visa, no. It was because they have knowledge of Philippine illegal working in their country, and although with a bit of common sense she except being Philippine, she not matched the profile, as explained before.

When the senior officer came in she was dismissed very rapidly and my wonderful gf, had the impression, he was not so amused by the behavior of the younger officer,as he seemed to find his intervention useless.

I understand your irritation about this and I know very well that the Thai Embassy in Manila and the consulate in Cebu make it very difficult for Philippine citizens to be given a tourist visa for Thailand. One of the problems centers on the fact that the Immigration computers in Thailand give the IO a warning at the 6th Visa Exempt attempted entry which mandates added scrutiny. It is true that with a Visa- this would not have happened. You may want to consider flying from Manila to Penang or Laos and get a Visa there for Thailand. It would probably be better to meet in Manila and then travel forward to Thailand together after getting the Visa in a third country. That will break the 6 entry scrutiny that will probably continue on her next entry. I hope this helps.

This is at least valuable information. Could be, as I never had 6 visa exempt entry for a girl before. Happy, that you also confirm, how difficult it is to get a visa in Philippines, thank you.

For me, I had much more then 6 visa exempt over the years. For years I traveled for less then a month to the kingdom, and then not needed it either.

But what I still find strange, is that then why not make it difficult at this 6 th exempt when entering the kingdom and why on leaving, after only 6 weeks......

Anyway, I do not worry too much about the next trips. First, next time I will see her in Philippines, then after that, she is prepared for an interview at any time and she carries proof enough I support her trip, and have enough pics over the years to proof she is on holiday with me. We even have our Flickr account of years of travel together, so all they have to do is watch that. I will not give the link here as a previous link has been deleted, and also as some people seem to act quiet negative.

Robert, your comments are very respectful, no problems to talk about this in a decent way.

She may not depend on me, but sure, that I pay the ticket, give her travel money and so on, just like anybody else in the mass that travels with an Asian girl. When she is at home, she has her income, which is around 8000 P, that is not much. I give her an extra, not much, to buy some things for herself. She is content with that, her only worry is that I come back.

Visa exempt is what it is, to make travel to Thailand easier. I have 26 years of travelling to Thailand. If less then a month, not need it, and I have now used myself extension many times myself over a visa, for a BIT longer stay. I also, neither has she ever had an overstay.

Another problem, if you do have a visa, is that one's you cross a border a regular one is not valid any more. So lets say I stay 7 weeks. I stay 2 weeks in Thailand, and decide to go to Myanmar, Cambodia or whatever. Then my visa is not valid on return. So if I return after a week, I have the right to stay another 30 days which is not enough. Fifteen if I come back in by land.

I had myself problems on my previous trip, not the last one. For the first time in 26 years they would not let me board in Nice and Frankfurt without visa. To have no visa, arguments are the same as above. I stayed calm, ask for somebody more responsable and kindly explained that Thailand now made it easier, because they allow extension since some time and they should know that. After seeing my previous extension, I was allowed to board.

I have respect for you meaning, but I think in this case it was just powerplay of the officer. She was not made a hard time because of an extension, no visa, no. It was because they have knowledge of Philippine illegal working in their country, and although with a bit of common sense she except being Philippine, she not matched the profile, as explained before.

When the senior officer came in she was dismissed very rapidly and my wonderful gf, had the impression, he was not so amused by the behavior of the younger officer,as he seemed to find his intervention useless.

Get a re entry permit.

Archived