7 officers detained for allegedly beating to death a conscript in Yala

webfact

7 officers detained for allegedly beating to death a conscript

439_7-officres-wpcf_728x409.jpg

YALA: -- Seven army officers who were allegedly involved in the beating up to death of a conscript in Yala’s Bannang Sata district have been detained pending an investigation into the tragic incident.

Colonel Pramote Prom-in, spokesman of the forward command of the Internal Security Operations Command’s Region 4, said Tuesday that initial finding confirmed that the seven officers were accountable for the death of Private Songtham Moodmud, 23, who was based at Payak garrison in Bannang Sata district.

As a result of the finding, an officer was detained for 30 days and the six other non-commissioned officers were detained 45 days.

Regarding criminal charges against the seven officers, Colonel Pramote said that the matter would rest with the police who will lodge charges against them.

He said that Lt-Gen Vivath Pathompark, commander of the Fourth Army Region, had expressed his sorrow for the tragedy and offered an apology to the family of the victim and the public in general.

He also assured that the victim’s family would be properly compensated.

Meanwhile today, Mrs Wichitra Chormanee, the mother of the dead conscript, lodged a complaint with the Yala Muang district police to receive a death certificate for her dead son.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/158362

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-04-06

Victims family will be compensated, is the man just a moron or what?

The incident should never have happened.

Man was conscripted into the military just to be beaten to death by bullies.

Attitude is we have power over you, so we will have fun beating you.

Cowards, 7 onto 1. No thai ever seems to go one on one, always need a pack of dogs.

Sounds typically Thai. They don't have the guts to go one on one, it always has to be a mob on one person and they think they are tough.

I assume these scum will be charged with 1st degree murder. They should receive the death penalty

My condolences to the family and I hope those involved get their just punishment. However, we have heard of other cases recently of death in camps (although they were detainees) and it makes me wonder if it is the action of just one group. Are there more? And if that's what they do to other soldiers what are they likely to do to the rest of us?

I saw a program/documentry (cannot remember where I found it) on the Thai special force training a few months ago and could not believe they (military) accepted that a 4+_%

death rate was acceptable. This was blamed on the extreme heat they were exposed to, heat stroke, dehydration, etc. No fault of

officers, who were back at base nor the non coms involved in training. Life is cheap here, even to their own people. Why do you think

the millitary is feared by even the bib.

The army is supposed to protect the country against outside threats, but Thai citizens need protection from the Thai army who have probably been responsible for many more deaths of Thai citizens over the past 80 years than citizens of all other countries put together.

Militaries have at their base the use of violence to address problems.

This murder is reflective of that, though the military people would probably say these were just a few 'bad apples', or words to that effect.

It is the task of the military to ultimately use violence, in a controlled directed manner against the enemies of the country which they serve.

There are valid arguements as to whether this is morally right or wrong.

The use of violence to address their internal problems is not, or should not be part of their task.

Armies which rely on this sort of violence to control and discipline their soldiers will crumble like a a dried dog turd when faced with a real enemy.

They are not really armies, more rabble in uniform.

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

How terribly sad. Killed by your fellow soldiers, guess they couldn't find any enemy to fight. Such a shame that we all know nothing will be done. They protect their own.

Isn't Yala down south, some bad Islam boys down there the military doesn't want to find or mess with.

"Meanwhile today, Mrs Wichitra Chormanee, the mother of the dead conscript, lodged a complaint with the Yala Muang district police to receive a death certificate for her dead son."

They conscript her son, beat him to death and then force mom to beg for a death certificate. I can hardly imagine the Thai way.