WHO: Diabetes rises fourfold over last quarter-century

webfact

WHO: Diabetes rises fourfold over last quarter-century
JAMEY KEATEN, Associated Press

GENEVA (AP) — Excessive weight, obesity, aging and population growth drove a nearly four-fold increase in worldwide cases of diabetes over the last quarter-century, affecting 422 million people in 2014, the World Health Organization reported Wednesday.

In a new report on diabetes, the U.N. health agency called for stepped-up measures to reduce risk factors for diabetes and improve treatment and care that has ballooned in recent years alongside an increase in obesity rates. WHO said 8.5 percent of the world population had diabetes two years ago, up from 108 million, or 4.7 percent, in 1980.

On Wednesday, WHO Director-General Margaret Chan said:

"We need to rethink our daily lives: to eat healthily, be physically active and avoid excessive weight gain."

The Geneva-based agency blamed growing consumption of food and beverages high in sugar. Diabetes increased around the world but affects lower- and middle-income people more often than wealthier populations. The rates rose most in Africa, the Middle East and Asia — with the "Eastern Mediterranean" region more than doubling its prevalence to 13.7 percent of the population, the only world region with a double-digit percentage.

Diabetes is a chronic condition in which the body either does not make enough insulin to break down the sugar in foods or uses insulin inefficiently. It can cause early death or serious complications like blindness, stroke, kidney disease or heart disease.

In the "Global Report on Diabetes" released Wednesday, WHO says diabetes caused 1.5 million deaths in 2012, and another 2.2 million deaths were caused by higher-than-optimal blood glucose levels, by increasing the risks of cardiovascular and other diseases.

The report does not distinguish between Type 1 diabetes, which involves deficient insulin production in the body and requires daily insulin injections for survival, and Type 2, in which the body uses insulin ineffectively and is more often associated with obesity and relatively sedentary lifestyles.

The increase has coincided with growing rates of obesity: In Western countries like the U.S and Britain, two-thirds of people are now overweight or obese. The WHO report stopped short of any drastic new recommendations, suggesting for example that countries build political support and allocate resources for diabetes prevention, and "prioritize actions to prevent people becoming overweight and obese."

The report said WHO is updating its guidelines on fat and carbohydrate intake, but said adults can reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes through regular, adequate physical activity and "healthy diets that include sufficient consumption of dietary fiber, and replacing saturated fatty acids with polyunsaturated fatty acids."
___

Maria Cheng contributed from London.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-04-07

If they found a cure for type 2 diabetes, how much money would the pharmaceutical industry lose from meds otherwise used just for treatment?

The physicians treating the condition would also take a hit.

I hope that there comes another Jonas Salk but for type 2 diabetes.

Edited by helpisgood

When I lived in the UK, I Knew 2 or 3 were diabetic. Here there is that number just in my wife's extended family. One auntie has 3 toes missing from an infection The number of obese children I just in this locality shocks me.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Edited by Mosha

Diabetes is rampant in Thailand but is very difficult to find anything in the supermarkets suitable for diabetics eg Canned fruit, Low sugar jam, confectionery, soft drinks etc. Almost everything is packed with sugar.

If anyone knows a shop catering for diabetics in this way I would appreciate hearing about it.

Edited by sangfroid

There is no silver bullet for anything.

I have exercised all my life, 3 times a day, 6 days week until a stroke at 49. Much more than that when I was a physical training instructor in the army. I still exercise 5 days a week now. Have always eaten well, look physically ok for any age, certainly not obese, yet I'm Type 2.

Churchill smoked, drank and was certainly porky and did little or no exercise, died age 90. Field Marshall Montgomery didn't smoke drink, was trim and kept healthy, died at age 88.

After 30 years in the fitness business I can say with absolute conviction, despite what the boffins say about most ailments, if it's going to get you it's going to get you. I firmly believe that at the time of the smack on the backside, the day we are going to die is already predetermined. A former colleague of mine, army's top fitness man, Lt Col, built like a brick sh*thouse took his dogs for a walk one evening 5 years back, never to return, he was 52.

No rhyme or reason......

Diabetes is rampant in Thailand but is very difficult to find anything in the supermarkets suitable for diabetics eg Canned fruit, Low sugar jam, confectionery, soft drinks etc. Almost everything is packed with sugar.

If anyone knows a shop catering for diabetics in this way I would appreciate hearing about it.

I agree with you about the difficulties with finding items without added sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other such ingredients.

Maybe you already know this, but I was advised by a Thai endocrinologist that we need to be careful about Thai food. It is, at least for me, surprisingly more often than expected prepared with many spoonfuls of sugar. The doctor advised me that this is not uncommon at all.

I once ordered the spiciest Thai dish at a local and well-liked restaurant thinking the spices would obviate the need for sugar. I am so naive. I checked my blood sugar about two hours later and it was about 210-220, much higher than normal for me.

Also, I was once walking through a food court in a shopping mall and watched a lady running one of the kiosks hurriedly shovel in spoonfuls of sugar into her large container (or whatever it's called) of one her Thai dishes that are served cafeteria style.

I love Thai food, but sadly I pass up many dishes because of this concern.

Be careful & best wishes!

I would be interested in some real numbers about Thailand.

Could not find some real figures, yet. Most numbers are faked from gov. etc.

What are the real numbers for diabetes, overweigh, smokers etc.?

I don't have statistics but a neighbour is a senior doctor at high profile hospital here in Bangkok. He has told me that Diabetes is at epidemic proportions in Thailand.

I agree with you about the difficulties with finding items without added sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other such ingredients.

Maybe you already know this, but I was advised by a Thai endocrinologist that we need to be careful about Thai food. It is, at least for me, surprisingly more often than expected prepared with many spoonfuls of sugar. The doctor advised me that this is not uncommon at all.

I once ordered the spiciest Thai dish at a local and well-liked restaurant thinking the spices would obviate the need for sugar. I am so naive. I checked my blood sugar about two hours later and it was about 210-220, much higher than normal for me.

Also, I was once walking through a food court in a shopping mall and watched a lady running one of the kiosks hurriedly shovel in spoonfuls of sugar into her large container (or whatever it's called) of one her Thai dishes that are served cafeteria style.

I love Thai food, but sadly I pass up many dishes because of this concern.

Be careful & best wishes!

In Australia for example there is a large range of diet drinks , jams, canned fruit, etc etc suitable for consumption by diabetics. Here.................... practically nothing.

There is no silver bullet for anything.

I have exercised all my life, 3 times a day, 6 days week until a stroke at 49. Much more than that when I was a physical training instructor in the army. I still exercise 5 days a week now. Have always eaten well, look physically ok for any age, certainly not obese, yet I'm Type 2.

Churchill smoked, drank and was certainly porky and did little or no exercise, died age 90. Field Marshall Montgomery didn't smoke drink, was trim and kept healthy, died at age 88.

After 30 years in the fitness business I can say with absolute conviction, despite what the boffins say about most ailments, if it's going to get you it's going to get you. I firmly believe that at the time of the smack on the backside, the day we are going to die is already predetermined. A former colleague of mine, army's top fitness man, Lt Col, built like a brick sh*thouse took his dogs for a walk one evening 5 years back, never to return, he was 52.

No rhyme or reason......

I have a cousin in Scotland in his late 50's, fit never overweight. Lives an active lifestyle. He even took part in marathons. London included. He went to his doctor for an unrelated reason and was found to diabetiic 2. He was dumbfounded!!