US visa for Thai girl want to visit new boyfriend in US

HI I, as Swedish did not have to apply for a US visa (at least a few years ago, did it before landing) but now a fiend to my wife want to go visit her boyfriend in US. Does she have to apply for a visa here in Thailand at the US embassy before she go or?

Thank's in advance

Yes and unless she has traveled previously and has other reasons for visiting USA it will probably not be issued. There is a special procedure for those traveling for marriage and to see BF would appear to most officials as an attempt to shortcut that process. Normally much easier for BF to visit GF in Thailand.

Yes and unless she has traveled previously and has other reasons for visiting USA it will probably not be issued. There is a special procedure for those traveling for marriage and to see BF would appear to most officials as an attempt to shortcut that process. Normally much easier for BF to visit GF in Thailand.

Thank's for info But but but I thought it was only Mexicans, Muslims, they (Trump) wanted to keep out?clap2.gif

Thank's for info But but but I thought it was only Mexicans, Muslims, they (Trump) wanted to keep out?clap2.gif

But anyone have some ideas how to get around these restrictions?

The primary concern for any tourist entry is that the person intends to depart at the end of the entry. So being from an important family, having strong financials, having family or children to return to, having higher education and well paid employment in home country and such. Some will use education as an entry - just as some use that to stay in Thailand. Some will use business. But in general it is very hard to prove intent to return - especially for a young woman.

That said there are many approved that might be a bit doubtful - and, unfortunately, many that overstay making it even harder. If totally honest intent is just a visit it should be worth the fee to apply.

But unless well to do it is probably much better to meet in Thailand for whatever time is available - and if marriage becomes an option then obtain immigrant visa entry.

"I, as Swedish did not have to apply for a US visa (at least a few years ago, did it before landing) but now a fiend to my wife want to go visit her boyfriend in US. Does she have to apply for a visa here in Thailand at the US embassy before she go or?

Thank's in advance "

You do now.

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) Application for Citizens of Sweden
  • Thanks 1

In general, and it's hard to generalize, since the Embassy will never say why they deny a visa, so it's all a little vague. But the younger, less educated always have a much higher rejection rate, I seem to recall Siam Visa saying at one time it's close to 80% rejected.

Young, single, poor, I think the assumption is prostitution, hence rejection.

On the positive side, once they do get a tourist visa, and it may just take multiple attempts, and return home as planned, subsequent tourist visa's are issued fairly routinely

Having family in Thailand is meaningless when applying for a U.S. visa. The following is required:

1. The applicant has had a good job for at least year and can prove it with a bank book showing periodic deposits.

2. The applicant owns property such as a house or condo.

3. The applicant has known the U.S. citizen for at least a year and can prove it with photos and emails.

Having family in Thailand is meaningless when applying for a U.S. visa. The following is required:

1. The applicant has had a good job for at least year and can prove it with a bank book showing periodic deposits.

3. The applicant has known the U.S. citizen for at least a year and can prove it with photos and emails.

Yup, that's it. My wife of three years was rejected. No house or condo, the interview was over. I'm the guy who will never buy a place in LOS.

We'll try it again next year.

Assume a TG will not get into America without the above.

Whilst a Thai, or any other Visa National, has to satisfy the decision maker that they have strong ties to their home country, these aren't requirements, they maybe your views, but not requirements.

Whilst a good stable job, and evidence that they are expected to return, will go a long way to satisfying the official that the applicant is likely to return, it is not a requirement and there is certainly no time scale.

There is absolutely no requirement to own property, many people rent and doing so wont mean that an application would be declined.

There is also absolutely no requirement to have known a US Citizen for at least a year, in fact anecdotal evidence suggests that actually providing evidence that you have friends who are citizens of, and in, the US, could lead the official to believe that you might be intending to seek a change of status in the US and thus refuse the application.

Many Thai people who have ties to their home country, they may not be employed, they may not own property and they probably don't know US Citizens, they are just people that have the means to travel and can demonstrate their strong ties to the decision maker.

But anyone have some ideas how to get around these restrictions?

Yes, there IS an easy way around the "restrictions".

If she prefers cooler weather, use the Northern route. Preferably armed to protect against bears and wolves, which may be more dangerous than the coyotes down South.

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2016 at 3:05 PM, khwaibah said:

"I, as Swedish did not have to apply for a US visa (at least a few years ago, did it before landing) but now a fiend to my wife want to go visit her boyfriend in US. Does she have to apply for a visa here in Thailand at the US embassy before she go or?

Thank's in advance "

You do now.

ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) Application for Citizens of Sweden

A big help. Great Thanks!

My observation: Just last month, just having successfully getting my Thai wife her marriage visa (not tourist) I can tell you it's no easy matter even for ours. My wife at her interview (sans sponsor) saw over 70 in the Que attempting a tourist visa. And they start very early in the morning a 6:30AM. In the 2 hours she was there she did not see one person get approved and many leaving in tears. At issue is the thousands of Thais who went and did not return. That is where the blame is. My inside informant said that was the driving issue along with current immigration attitudes in the US in general. Nothing to do with Trump.

To successfully get a visa you need to prove beyond any reasonable doubt they are going to return. That means providing evidence on every item listed on the application. And it has to be very convincing and most importantly "truthful". You can not just make blanket statements like "going to meet my boyfriend". You must show a purpose and a plan that leaves no doubt of the return. It has to be precise and to the point.  Can't say we will be traveling around for a month or two. A definitive time line that's back by written, signed, authenticated documents.

There are a few cases where the person simply got lucky and gave very little evidence but that most likely was years ago. It has changed drastically in the last year alone.

• 2 weeks later...

There is only one requirement, convince the interviewer that you will not overstay your visa and you will return.

All else are mechanisms toward that end.

So you be the interviewer . Young poor girl, with no job, and a boyfriend in that country wants to go there, be with the guy she loves, have a prospect for a good job that compared to where she comes makes her rich, help herself and her family.  

Would you think she will come back, because she told you so, or do you think she will stay, be with the men she loves, make a lot of money, and live the dream????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I hoped to read more both successful and unsuccessful efforts with believed reasons. Any suggestions of what to do and what to avoid for a middle age Thai lady seeking to obtain a US tourist Visa will be greatly appreciated. Should any sponsor willingness, if any, be expressed or documented? The visit would be strictly multi-city touring and sightseeing with return to Thailand in no more than 21 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

docwjw

Maybe I missed it, but where did you provide any details your situation and that of the middle aged Thai lady?

If, for example, living together and you're on a long-term situation in Thailand, such as an extension for retirement, then I'd think pretty good chance that the lady would get a visa.

If not as the preceding, then more chancy.

Mac

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thai friend had personal interview US Embassy, Bangkok Monday 23 July for US tourist Visa. Asked 3 easy, simple questions in less than 3 minuets: why? (To see sights), how long? (Less than 3 was.), where will you stay? (Will travel with same sex Thai friend, living in US). Told would be notified by phone and mail. Nothing yet. What to expect?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, docwjw said:

Thai friend had personal interview US Embassy, Bangkok Monday 23 July for US tourist Visa. Asked 3 easy, simple questions in less than 3 minuets: why? (To see sights), how long? (Less than 3 was.), where will you stay? (Will travel with same sex Thai friend, living in US). Told would be notified by phone and mail. Nothing yet. What to expect?

If the US Embassy kept your friends passport, then they should receive it via mail in a week or so with the visa. If they left the Embassy with their passport they will not be getting a visa.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Coconut Kidd said:

If the US Embassy kept your friends passport, then they should receive it via mail in a week or so with the visa. If they left the Embassy with their passport they will not be getting a visa.

1 hour ago, docwjw said:

I would do a check on where the passport is.  By my count it has been 23 days and it does not take that long. It only takes as little as 3 days for the  issue and return of passport.

• 3 weeks later...

No happy ending! Tourist Visa denied! Passport returned after being held for 1 month without Visa. Told she would have to wait 2 months to reapply. Very discouraging! What to do differently???

If I had to guess, there must be an underlying issue of which you are unaware.

Generally, and other may like to chip in here, the applicant is informed verbally at the end of the interview whether the visa is approved or denied, I know that was the the case in both of my wifes unsuccessful tourist visa applications, and ultimately her successful immigrant visa, at which time the passport is returned to the applicant in the case of a denial, or retained in the case of approval

If they kept the passport, it's rather odd that they didn't say if it was approved or denied, then denied it

• Like 1

I don't think the US Embassy ever gives any reasons, written or verbal for a visa denial, unlike the Brits for example who get a letter explaining a denial.

Whether or not there is some appeal process, I have no idea

On 9/19/2017 at 12:46 AM, Mrjlh said:

... At issue is the thousands of Thais who went and did not return....

A Thai guy I know well did that about 35 years ago.  Came in with an organized tour group (for easier tourist visa) and jumped ship in New York City. He got legal years later through the usual work-arounds.

I worked with some US immigration people in Thailand back in 1979/80 when I was employed with a refugee resettlement program, working out of an office at the embassy.  They were not very sympathetic.