Urgent........Is there a back out period with Thai banks.

You mean when they told you would get a guaranteed annual interest of 20%, and a life insurance for free on top, they misled you?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

All explained in broken poor English and confused the wife too. Anything constructive to add like......... is there a cooling off period in Thailand? sad.png

Never mind guys. Wife looked at the banks website. 15 days to cancel.

Phew !

Went in looking for a term account. Bar stewards ! bah.gif

I would rather think that someone who believes that these days he can get 20% interest annually is a bar steward.

Phew !

I would rather think that someone who believes that these days he can get 20% interest annually is a bar steward.

True. It was a brief lapse of judgement on my part. Was sitting in a hospital with the wife for 5 hours yesterday, so a bit tired. I'm always cute for this kind of stuff but for some reason yesterday, my head was up my arse.

Any way, in the bank this morning, cancelled and refund in 2 weeks. Good result.

For those of you who may do similar things in the future, don't worry, 15 days grace period according to banking code.

We had 'the' big insurance company here phone my wife up to sell her some nonsense and she said quite clearly that she wasn't interested. Within 30 seconds of hanging up the phone a payment went off my wife's card! Then we had to go though the waiting for a refund procedure.W*****s!

Your mrs is the beneficiary? Until you can cancel it, i would keep her away from sharp knives.....700,000 is a hefty sum to a thai.

whereas its annoying pocket change to you.

I am not exactly 'broke' if thats what you mean...but i won't be talking about my finances with you on an open forum. Can you lend me enough for a meal? ???

We had 'the' big insurance company here phone my wife up to sell her some nonsense and she said quite clearly that she wasn't interested. Within 30 seconds of hanging up the phone a payment went off my wife's card! Then we had to go though the waiting for a refund procedure.W*****s!

What card? And how would they have access to it? Something appears to be missing.

Phew !

True. It was a brief lapse of judgement on my part. Was sitting in a hospital with the wife for 5 hours yesterday, so a bit tired. I'm always cute for this kind of stuff but for some reason yesterday, my head was up my arse.

Any way, in the bank this morning, cancelled and refund in 2 weeks. Good result.

For those of you who may do similar things in the future, don't worry, 15 days grace period according to banking code.

Might be helpful to advise what it was? Some can get rather complex (insurance paid for x number of years with payback in xx years of a fixed amount if no death). Looks good as you get just about everything you pay but you forget to note this is 15 years or more later. They try this on parents with young children often.

You mean when they told you would get a guaranteed annual interest of 20%, and a life insurance for free on top, they misled you?cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Perhaps it's not out and out lying. They just neglected to mention that your wife has to die before you can get your money! Wait about 5 years and you will get the 20%/yr payout.

What card? And how would they have access to it? Something appears to be missing.
Credit card. They already had access to it because of another product we buy from them annually. Edited by JaseTheBass

And insurance companies no better and many of their agents have no morals.

Son got a cold call from an AXX agent trying to sell son an endownment policy.

Son said, 'well I am looking at something life this for my kids, so send me your brochure'

Brochure never came.

A few days later same agent sent an application form by e-mail with instruction to be completed and sent back immediately.

Son ignored this mail and in fact had already now signed up with a much better company.

AXX agent called again 'why you don't sign and send it back?'

Son says 'I never indicated to you that I would buy your policy and you have never bothered to try to visit me or ask if I have any questions and in any case I have already found a policy I like with another company and It's all signed up'.

Agent went bezerk and told my son on the phone 'your not fair and by the law you have to transfer 500Baht to me for compensation'.

Son never responded.

Edited by scorecard

It used to be that every time I went to the bank they would push that scheme to my wife, she was enthusiastic but I was not.

I did the maths, properly. Its not a good deal.

If you can back out, and importantly get your money back, then thats good.

Certainly I know someone who put a lot of money into a similar scheme, verbally the girl in the bank told him that he could cancel and get his money back "anytime", when he went back 2 years later to say that his circumstances had changed and he wanted his money back it was "sorry mister, cannot" and "you no understand". The bank never denied the girl said that, but she was just mistaken. I noticed that a few days later they were telling potential customers the same "anytime mister" story.

Sadly, this is a main branch of one of the biggest banks in Thailand, in Chiang Mai City.

In Thailand it does not matter who makes the mistake, its you that has to pay for it.

And insurance companies no better and many of their agents have no morals.

Son got a cold call from an AXX agent trying to sell son an endownment policy.

Son said, 'well I am looking at something life this for my kids, so send me your brochure'

Brochure never came.

A few days later same agent sent an application form by e-mail with instruction to be completed and sent back immediately.

Son ignored this mail and in fact had already now signed up with a much better company.

AXX agent called again 'why you don't sign and send it back?'

Son says 'I never indicated to you that I would buy your policy and you have never bothered to try to visit me or ask if I have any questions and in any case I have already found a policy I like with another company and It's all signed up'.

Agent went bezerk and told my son on the phone 'your not fair and by the law you have to transfer 500Baht to me for compensation'.

Son never responded.

AXX? Yes, they're the crocks who tried to steal from us.

I have some sort of half-arsed qinsurance thing from them that I have had for 4 years. I'm not going to renew it thus year for 2 reasons. Firstly, the agent we buy through is so useless my missus may as well be the agent and secondly, their trying to steal from us left a nasty taste in my mouth.

Apologies for veering off topic somewhat. Does anyone own shares in any of the Thai banks? Yields appear to be in the 4 - 4.5% region, which is not too bad. How did you go about buying the shares?

Phew !

Don't blame the bank,blame your gullible self,if you don't understand,don't do it.A couple of girls in my bank greet me with"insurance" and laugh.They had their best shot at me,and i said no.Now it's a joke.

It used to be that every time I went to the bank they would push that scheme to my wife, she was enthusiastic but I was not.

I did the maths, properly. Its not a good deal.

If you can back out, and importantly get your money back, then thats good.

Certainly I know someone who put a lot of money into a similar scheme, verbally the girl in the bank told him that he could cancel and get his money back "anytime", when he went back 2 years later to say that his circumstances had changed and he wanted his money back it was "sorry mister, cannot" and "you no understand". The bank never denied the girl said that, but she was just mistaken. I noticed that a few days later they were telling potential customers the same "anytime mister" story.

Sadly, this is a main branch of one of the biggest banks in Thailand, in Chiang Mai City.

In Thailand it does not matter who makes the mistake, its you that has to pay for it.

When it comes to money,same deal anywhere,get it writing,from the manager.

Phew !

Don't blame the bank,blame your gullible self,if you don't understand,don't do it.A couple of girls in my bank greet me with"insurance" and laugh.They had their best shot at me,and i said no.Now it's a joke.

Taking advantage of people is not a joke in my opinion. If your doctor advises you to remove your left leg when it is not required would you feel the same? Not everyone knows finance.