Effective advertising of a large residential property for sale

I friend of mine has a palatial house that he had built some 5 years ago and now wishes to sell it.

The size of the garden alone keeps him busy all day, every day and so his objective is to downsize.

Can anyone recommend from experience an effective venue to advertise such a property in Thailand or overseas?

The guy plans to invest in a dedicated website to highlight the property. Is that a worth while exercise?

If he can build the site himself or get it done cheap I think it's a great idea. All he then has to do is to put a decent ad on prakard, ddproperty etc and link to it.

A very good idea for a higher end or unique property.

One thing - make sure the adverts and the site is in English and Thai.

"The guy plans to invest in a dedicated website to highlight the property. Is that a worth while exercise?"

​Yes…it helps provide all the information a prospective buyer would want..including pics, terms, neighbourhood, amenities, location, how to get in touch etc...

But the look of the site should match the premiumness of the offering.

There is also the critical function of making sure that his website shows up near the top few listings whenever anyone types thailand property for sale or similar in google.

This is called search engine optimisation or SEO and may require him to pay google a small sum, purchasing key search words or parameters.

Usually a website hosting provider can provide all this for a small fee.

My own opinion is that I wouldn't bother with the SEO stuff. Instead, list the property on the various property portals and link to the new website as discussed.

I think potential purchasers will often use property portals. If their search for a premium property in a specific location shows your advert then the people potentially clicking your link are already much more engaged than someone clicking round Google.

Just my opinion.

Cheers guys for your input.

Yes indeed he plans to build the site on Weebly. One of his friends knocks them up for a beer or two.

Agree, dual language is a must. Also I think posting the website link on property sites overseas would also be a worth while exercise.

Do you know any sites in the UK, US, Australia that cater for families looking to invest in property overseas?

Effective advertising starts with effective identification of the right buyer profile, and not shooting bullets in spreads.

And we know foreigners have to take on risk in acquiring landed properties in Thailand.

Effective advertising starts with effective identification of the right buyer profile, and not shooting bullets in spreads.

And we know foreigners have to take on risk in acquiring landed properties in Thailand.

I second this . If the home really is this grand you really need to target your buying audience . Plus location and price is a massive influence . If it's in a rice field your audience will be very limited , if it's in a premium location the shear cost will limit the amount of foreign buyers who will drop a small fortune on a house they can't legally own (loaded people don't get flush by being stupid). So being buyer specific and what markets they move in is of the upmost importance . Good luck

Maybe easier to hire a gardener. A palatial house has its maintenance costs.

I am browsing the properties for sale around Chiang Mai to get an idea of the price and advailability for if I want to retire in that area over about 10 years. The websites i check regulary are ddproperty and some sites of real estate agents in CM I found with Google.

A dedicated website will not be found by potential buyers. Once I saw an interesting property in Doi Saket on a real estate agency site and searching on the internet I found the owners website with some more information. BTW He started with an asking price of about 5 million and it was sold for less as 2.5 million. Reason for sale was moving back to the US. His Thai wife was not from the doi Saket area so I guess she had no interest to keep it.

Just start with a good description and good photos and put an advertisement on a few websites targetted to foreign expats and pensionado's with a Thai wife.

Archived