Thaksin warns on democracy, economy in New Year message

webfact

Can anyone explain why anybody is still printing stuff from this convicted criminal ?

Because he remains to be the most popular and influential Thai politician.

No truer words have been spoken in a while here.

Like it or not he IS the most influential, loved and hated person in Thailand.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He warns on democracy?

The guy that tried to push a free trade agreement though by bypassing the democratic system?

The guy that rubbed shoulders with military coup makers in the past to foster business deals?

Yep, he warns on democracy now because he is not making any money off it.

Shocking. I mean what kind of vile individual would stand with those who have staged a coup? Oh, hang on a minute...

Similar types to those who would stand with a crook paying thugs to whip up trouble, and threaten mass arson to get his family back in power and steal back the confiscated money he originally stole.

And there's your problem. A crooked ruthless liar who will sacrifice anything or anyone in his quest for ultimate power warning about how those who took power at the point of a gun might act.

Still, billionaires will be billionaires.

Can anyone explain why anybody is still printing stuff from this convicted criminal ?

He might be loved or hated but he isn't the most influential person in Thailand.

It probably escaped your notice but he ain't in Thailand because he can't fiddle an amnesty whitewash for his criminal conviction and all those serious outstanding criminal charges.

So much for his influence.

He might be loved or hated but he isn't the most influential person in Thailand.

It probably escaped your notice but he ain't in Thailand because he can't fiddle an amnesty whitewash for his criminal conviction and all those serious outstanding criminal charges.

So much for his influence.

He is the most influential. All of the drama during past 15 years or so has been because of him. Like it or not it is true. He doesnt need to be in Thailand to be influential which, shows just how much influence he has.

1. He was convicted in a Thai court

2. As bad as he may be, is he any worse than a junta that usurps power ?

3. Is he incorrect ?

1) YES

2) YES

3) YES

Did he "love the people" during the Tak Bai incident?

Direct your comment to the military. It was a military operation. You are ignoring the fact that the military does not answer to civilian governments. Here's an historical reminder;

1. The military had control of the areas where the deaths occurred and the deaths occurred during transport to a military base in Pattani.

2. The military executed its actions using its "best" judgement and under the command of senior military officers.

The military investigated and found no wrongdoing.

If there was a lively political debate going on in the country where its future and its constitution was a matter of public concern and discussion, Thaksin's views would not be making headlines in the foreign and local press. As all discussion is smothered inside the country, everyone is interested in what he has to say as the only authoritative opposition voice available. the junta don't have the political intelligence to counter his rhetoric.

It is refreshing to see that some foreigners understand the political reality. Well said.

Thaksin also serves as an ongoing justification for military rule. Seriously, had the man not been ousted, he'd have been replaced as PM, through elections, long ago, instead of being made a martyr.

If there was a lively political debate going on in the country where its future and its constitution was a matter of public concern and discussion, Thaksin's views would not be making headlines in the foreign and local press. As all discussion is smothered inside the country, everyone is interested in what he has to say as the only authoritative opposition voice available. the junta don't have the political intelligence to counter his rhetoric.

It is refreshing to see that some foreigners understand the political reality. Well said.

Thaksin also serves as an ongoing justification for military rule. Seriously, had the man not been ousted, he'd have been replaced as PM, through elections, long ago, instead of being made a martyr.

Without Thaksin life would have been much, much harder for the junta because without him how could they excuse the inexcusable (junta/old elite rule)?

"I can not see him every coming back" I wouldn't bet the farm on that! Talking with the wife at breakfast time we where discussing the current political situation. As amazing, or as stupid, as it seems many of the local farmers would be happy to see Taksin or Yingluck back! Despite all the problems created with the rice scheme my wife.....and apparently a lot in the village....dream of the day they can return to the price of paddie being 15.000 baht/tonne.

No I didn't reach across the table and give her a slap....she was wide awake!

So the criminal from Dubai and the pretty one are still in with a chance, if they can get that pesky constitution buried once and for all! whistling.gif

He warns on democracy?

The guy that tried to push a free trade agreement though by bypassing the democratic system?

The guy that rubbed shoulders with military coup makers in the past to foster business deals?

Yep, he warns on democracy now because he is not making any money off it.

Shocking. I mean what kind of vile individual would stand with those who have staged a coup? Oh, hang on a minute...

Yep, thaksin.

Kinda highlights the hypocrisy heay.

Thanks for your reply.

Is thaksin standing by Prayuth? He is worse than I thought if he stands by the world's greatest lunatic.

See who the poster is, the ptb's number one fanboy and often confused.

Edit: Self Censored.

Edited by jamesbrock

Thaksin a martyr? I think you need to read up on the definition of the word.

He was, and still is a convicted criminal and a fugitive from justice, no matter what you say.

If he truly believes he is innocent of the charge he was convicted of he could have appealed against it, but he didn't.

If he truly believes that he is innocent of all the other outstanding charges against him, the he can return to Thailand at ANY time to start his jail sentence and face the other charges.

Do you think he will ever do that?

He made the decision to flee the country. Nobody forced him to do so.

Definition of a martyr.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/martyr

Simple Definition of martyr
  • : a person who is killed or who suffers greatly for a religion, cause, etc.

• : a person who pretends to suffer or who exaggerates suffering in order to get praise or sympathy

• : a person who suffers greatly from something (such as an illness)

Full Definition of martyr
  1. 1 : a person who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce a religion

2. 2 : a person who sacrifices something of great value and especially life itself for the sake of principle

3. 3 : victim; especially : a great or constant sufferer <a martyr to asthma all his life — A. J. Cronin>

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/martyr

noun
1A person who is killed because of their religious or other beliefs: the first Christian martyr
1.1A person who displays or exaggerates their discomfort or distress in order to obtain sympathy: she wanted to play the martyr

1.2 (martyr to) A constant sufferer from (an ailment): I’m a martyr to migraine! More example sentences

Well well.

Thaksin speaks and Reuters prints it.

Having read the item by Reuters I found that they had missed something from it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

A change of heart from Thaksin perhaps?

I am sorry if this seems over long but the whole article has no paragraphs and it is much longer than this.

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'
December 11, 2003 12:00 am

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed. In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used. "Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress." In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies. "Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices." Amid threats of total domination by the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, the minor coalition partner, academics and opposition MPs agree there is an urgent need to sharpen the teeth of independent constitutional bodies and empower a parliamentary system of checks and balances. "I don't think there's a need to amend the charter right now," said Thaksin. "Maybe they want to because they want to censure me in Parliament." Many rules within the Constitution are said to be playing into the hands of Thaksin as they seem to ease his on-going consolidation of power and expansionist philosophy. Among them is the requirement that a censure motion against the prime minister has to be signed by at least 200 MPs. Before leaving for the Asean-Japan summit in Tokyo, Thaksin avoided actually naming the Chat Thai Party, which has proposed a public referendum to amend the Constitution coinciding with the 2005 general election. "If they really want to do it for good reasons, why didn't they do it earlier when they had enough support in Parliament?" Thaksin said. "There's no real need to change the highest law at the moment. If we do have implementation problems, we can review the Constitution's organic laws."

and what is your point? I can't see any contradiction. This interview is 13 years ago. Compare Obamas's interviews 13 years ago with the way he TRIES to govern his country. Or Cameron...or...or...or.

But you will explain to me?

Do you truly believe that Thaksin has changed in the last 13 years?

The same Thaksin who repeatedly said that he was finished with Thai politics and would never be involved in them again.

The same Thaksin who owns the PTP lock stock and barrel and paid all the MPs of that party a salary as well.

The same Thaksin who, through his clone, (his words not mine) tried to ram an amnesty bill through parliament at 4.30 am>

If I have to explain to you that leopards can't and don't change their spots there is little hope for you.

Meanwhile keep on bashing current government. It seems to be what you do best.

Hypocrite or not.

Is what he says incorrect?

They are just letting stream off! There are few opportunities for them in Junta-related topics.

""Those in politics must love people. If they don't love people, democracy will die,""

Isn't it more like "those in politics must love screw the people", be good at public relations, be seen as what people like to see rather than be what people like to think them to be?

Because, like it or not, he still matters politically. I mean, if he didn't matter who would the junta use as a bogeyman to justify overthrowing the elected government and then cling to power using excuses a particularly naive three year old can see through??

Well actually the junta did justify the coup pointing at the escalating violence, the shooting and grenade lobbing at anyone non-'pro-cone government'.

Of course the 'command a country from afar' is just the type of democracy any politician should carry close to his heart rolleyes.gif

Eh, actually he remains the most favourite criminal fugitve, the number one in public relations and the best at being Amply Rich.

Eh, actually he remains the most favourite criminal fugitve, the number one in public relations and the best at being Amply Rich.

How to make a convicted criminal fugitive, accused mass murderer, accused terrorist popular.

Sprinkle in a bit of "Robert Amsterdam" and add "supporting US interests" despite having to abuse democracy to do it. Cook in Dubai for 10 years and serve with dollars dollops of hypocrisy.

Thank goodness the recipe is not being well received by the Thai public anymore. Unless one refers to elections years ago to gauge his popularity. AND "All the people I talk to love thaksin" does not count as gauging his popularity. I know some have and will say that again and if that fails they show a photo of thaksin in front of 30 000 screaming red shirts and say "See he is popular"

Edited by djjamie

Because, like it or not, he still matters politically. I mean, if he didn't matter who would the junta use as a bogeyman to justify overthrowing the elected government and then cling to power using excuses a particularly naive three year old can see through??

Well actually the junta did justify the coup pointing at the escalating violence, the shooting and grenade lobbing at anyone non-'pro-cone government'.

Of course the 'command a country from afar' is just the type of democracy any politician should carry close to his heart rolleyes.gif

"Well actually the junta did justify the coup pointing at the escalating violence..."

Yes, they did. Hmmm, wonder who had a finger in that??

"...non-'pro-cone governmen"

Huh??? Is this some kind of secret junta fanboy speak?

Well well.

Thaksin speaks and Reuters prints it.

Having read the item by Reuters I found that they had missed something from it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/PMS-DECLARATIONDemocracy-is-not-my-goal-90316.html

A change of heart from Thaksin perhaps?

I am sorry if this seems over long but the whole article has no paragraphs and it is much longer than this.

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'
December 11, 2003 12:00 am

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed. In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used. "Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress." In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies. "Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices." Amid threats of total domination by the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, the minor coalition partner, academics and opposition MPs agree there is an urgent need to sharpen the teeth of independent constitutional bodies and empower a parliamentary system of checks and balances. "I don't think there's a need to amend the charter right now," said Thaksin. "Maybe they want to because they want to censure me in Parliament." Many rules within the Constitution are said to be playing into the hands of Thaksin as they seem to ease his on-going consolidation of power and expansionist philosophy. Among them is the requirement that a censure motion against the prime minister has to be signed by at least 200 MPs. Before leaving for the Asean-Japan summit in Tokyo, Thaksin avoided actually naming the Chat Thai Party, which has proposed a public referendum to amend the Constitution coinciding with the 2005 general election. "If they really want to do it for good reasons, why didn't they do it earlier when they had enough support in Parliament?" Thaksin said. "There's no real need to change the highest law at the moment. If we do have implementation problems, we can review the Constitution's organic laws."

and what is your point? I can't see any contradiction. This interview is 13 years ago. Compare Obamas's interviews 13 years ago with the way he TRIES to govern his country. Or Cameron...or...or...or.

But you will explain to me?

Do you truly believe that Thaksin has changed in the last 13 years?

The same Thaksin who repeatedly said that he was finished with Thai politics and would never be involved in them again.

The same Thaksin who owns the PTP lock stock and barrel and paid all the MPs of that party a salary as well.

The same Thaksin who, through his clone, (his words not mine) tried to ram an amnesty bill through parliament at 4.30 am>

If I have to explain to you that leopards can't and don't change their spots there is little hope for you.

Meanwhile keep on bashing current government. It seems to be what you do best.

Here we go again. Even we farangs are devided into 2 parties though we have no influence in anything what happens in Thailand.

BTW 13 years is indeed a long time. How YOU were looking 13 years ago? or talking? Or have opinions? You don't want to tell me honestly that you didn't change you mind in these years......

How to make a convicted criminal fugitive, accused mass murderer, accused terrorist popular.

Sprinkle in a bit of "Robert Amsterdam" and add "supporting US interests" despite having to abuse democracy to do it. Cook in Dubai for 10 years and serve with dollars dollops of hypocrisy.

Thank goodness the recipe is not being well received by the Thai public anymore. Unless one refers to elections years ago to gauge his popularity. AND "All the people I talk to love thaksin" does not count as gauging his popularity. I know some have and will say that again and if that fails they show a photo of thaksin in front of 30 000 screaming red shirts and say "See he is popular"

So which Thai politician, in your informed opinion, is more popular? And which party do you think will win the next election, if not the Thaksin affiliated one?

"Thank goodness the recipe is not being well received by the Thai public anymore. Unless one refers to elections years ago to gauge his popularity."

How about verifying your assumption by holding elections?

I will wait for an answer but am 99 percent sure it will be in vain.

There is no objection at all to disliking Thaksin intensely.Many of my Thai friends do.

Credibility in your criticism however ebbs away quickly if it is couched in banal terms like criminal fugitive, mass murderer, accused terrorist etc.It's just a substitute for thought.A much more telling criticism is that Thaksin with his massive support in the North and North East has a lock on elections for the time being, and this undermines true democracy.This is hardly a new problem nor one unique to Thailand, ie the rise of political parties dependent on a relatively poor majority.Most developed societies have worked through a compromise.

Where your position goes off the charts in term of delusion and paranoia is borrowing from the Cartulucci mad fantasy of the US determining the Thaksin agenda.How much saner and effective if you were to concentrate on Thaksin's all too present defects than get wrapped up in dishonest gobbledegook.

You suggest without any real evidence Thaksin has lost his popularity and I suspect he has a bit.However his enemies do not share your complacency.Most commentators believe that in fair elections now parties oriented to Thaksin would secure a convincing win.

Did he "love the people" during the Tak Bai incident?

no, that would have been the army loving the people during the Tak Bai incident...

It was on his watch though.

Was he loving the people when more than 2,500 alleged drug dealers were murdered?

It was on his watch though.

yeah, sure, but he DID NOT DO IT.

The military did.

Is that so hard to understand? Really?

Look, like I said to Craig, hang Thaksin for the things that he did, not for the things you would imagine that he did. It's not really hard to find fault with the guy.

The main instigators were those aligned with the military and who supported a coup.

Please have some semblance of moral integrity and recognize the instigation for what it was: An engineered justification for the overthrow of a democratically elected government and the suppression of habeas corpus and fundamental human rights. And before you offer up a dj jamie type of excuse, please note that the position of the EU.

Your right, we can't refer to elections to judge his current popularity. The last election was prevented by his opponents, very possibly because he was proving to be a bit too popular. The Junta is not prepared to allow elections, ( or any other party political activity), perhaps because again it may reveal his (or more accurately) his parties popularity..

But do carry on proclaiming he and his parties decline., and probable inability to win power freely. After all you have the oh so plausible claims of a military junta, which replaced an elected government in a coup, held whilst a general election was pending, to back you up..

"Thank goodness the recipe is not being well received by the Thai public anymore. Unless one refers to elections years ago to gauge his popularity."

How about verifying your assumption by holding elections?

I will wait for an answer but am 99 percent sure it will be in vain.

If the election process is run in the same manner as before, in that political parties can make crude and outrageous election promises that don't have to be explained, like for example saying, "ok, vote for us and we'll increase your monthly salary by 10,000 baht", then i think there is every chance you would get your wish of having a Shinawatra affiliated party in power.

This was the sort of technique that was employed with success at the last election, with promises concerning tablets, wages and other things were made, clearly without much thought if any as to actual implementation. Previously we had similarly ridiculous promises like solving the Bangkok traffic problem in six months. Of course the argument that gets made in favour of allowing this sort of practice, (that is much more tightly controlled in more advanced democracies where election promises do need to be more thoroughly explained) is that if a party doesn't live up to their campaign promises, they simply get voted out at the next election.

Unfortunately this doesn't necessarily work, at least not here, because in the interim four years between elections, a party can stack the cards in their favour, with little tricks like the controlling of the media, the dishing out personal amnesties, the placing of carefully selected people in to high ranking positions at organisations that should be serving as a check and balance on power, and the squashing of opposition with such tricks as million baht law-suits handed out left, right and centre... all of which can leave the country after four years effectively as a one party state, voters with no real choice, and with power deeply entrenched. This model of getting into power and then holding on to it has been seen successfully replicated in certain so called democratic countries many times. Cambodia and the Philippines are two such examples. Without military intervention over the last fifteen years, Thailand would have been another.

And when you throw into the mix the fact that, even without the above underhand tactics to contend with, the Democrats, who are no saints themselves and who are the only real current opposition, couldn't run a bath, much less a political campaign, another Shinawatra election victory seems to me to be a high possibility. Who else is there at this moment in time to fill in the power vacuum if and when the military step back? Nobody.

Thaksin must be friends with Pravit Rojanaphruk. If you want the anti junta stuff then just browse the two English language Thai news media outlets Khaosod and Prachatai.

I could be wrong though. Anyone else see a pattern emerging or am I the only one. Just saying, I'm all for press freedom as long as it is neutral and not bias.