Phuket electrician electrocuted while cabling new office

snoop1130

Phuket electrician electrocuted while cabling new office

Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-13409600-1460117799_thumb.

Krungsri Trajan, 36, died after he was electrocuted while fitting internet cables at a brand-new office at a Phuket golf course. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A man has died after he was electrocuted while fitting internet cables at a brand-new office at a Phuket golf course.

Chalong Police were called to the Phunaka Golf Course at 12.06pm today (Apr 8).

By the time they had arrived, Ruamjai Kupai rescue workers were preparing to take the body of Krungsri Trajan, 36, to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Rescue workers said the victim already had no pulse, Lt Chanat Pongsitthichaikul said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-electrician-electrocuted-while-cabling-new-office-56957.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2016-04-08

"We were told that four men were working on installing internet cables. The victim went up to the ceiling to connect some cables when his co-workers heard him shout for help saying he had received an electric shock. His co-workers pulled him down and called 1669"

Sounds like no clue what are live electric cables and internet cables .... RIP

I would not even consider working on or with wiring of any kind that is in any existing building without a wiring diagram, color coded

and with start and termination of all electrial wires shown. I am not sure which group is a greater hazard to the public, the sparkies who wire,

rewire, reroute, etc electrial circuits in private homes for parties etc. or the moonshiners running off lethal booze in the villages.

Both seem to have found several unique ways of killing themselves as well as others quite frequently if you believe reports in newspapers.

"We were told that four men were working on installing internet cables. The victim went up to the ceiling to connect some cables when his co-workers heard him shout for help saying he had received an electric shock. His co-workers pulled him down and called 1669"

Sounds to me more like there may have been power cables with worn insulation (rats?) or exposed connections up in the likely dark roof space where the INTERNET INSTALLER (not electrician) was working He probably didn't see them and came in contact with it while laying the internet cabling and hence the shock. There wouldn't be any reason for workers installing internet cabling to be mucking around with electrical cables as all the internet modems, routers, repeaters, and such are just plugged into standard electrical outlets which presumably were already in place. If they were installing the electrical boxes too then they would have been handling both types of cables.

Not trying to be funny, but shocking. No one thought to throw the breaker BEFORE working on any kind of wiring (whether it be cable TV, LAN, or (as the pic in the OP suggests loads of electrical wires for A/C))? Isolation. I guess that is not taught or learned if one doesn't get proper training. RIP Sparky.

Years ago I got a nasty belt as I was doing some rewiring work.

I plugged a cable in to the socket end to measure it off and cut the cable before I remembered to unplug it.

I am not sure what hurt the most. The belt from the cable or my ass when I hit the floor.

I learnt about electricity and cable wiring from that (the hard and painful but not fatal way).

That was over 46 years ago.

Edited by billd766

Years ago I got a nasty belt as I was doing some rewiring work.

I plugged a cable in to the socket end to measure it off and cut the cable before I remembered to unplug it.

I am not sure what hurt the most. The belt from the cable or my ass when I hit the floor.

I learnt about electricity and cable wiring from that (the hard and painful but not fatal way).

That was over 46 years ago.

Me too...was fixing to change a bulb in a lamp and stuck my finger into the socket to pull up the connection a bit but had forgotten to unplug the lamp...the 220v shock sent me literally flying across the room! Luckily, after a few minutes, I was non the worse for wear...needless to say, I check and double check any time I'm doing anything electrical around the house since then.

As others have said, this could easily be avoided by throwing the mains switch before doing any work with wires/cables in a Thai building.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Amazing that there are dozens of daily electrocution reports in Thailand given the substandard state of electrical wiring in Thailand and especially Bangkok. Electrical wiring spaghetti wiring can be seen up and down every major soi in Bangkok often at human being eye contact level.

Brand new "Public Building" and no functioning RCD's (Safe T Cut). Surly this is a call for someones head, in any society --- then again TiT and the norm bah.gif

Not the victims fault he is a comms man not an electrician, could have been a plasterer or any other trade.

Edited by bdenner

Not trying to be funny, but shocking. No one thought to throw the breaker BEFORE working on any kind of wiring (whether it be cable TV, LAN, or (as the pic in the OP suggests loads of electrical wires for A/C))? Isolation. I guess that is not taught or learned if one doesn't get proper training. RIP Sparky.

LAN cabling does not have power on it until it connects with the router / server and even then it is low voltage. I dont see how you can get electrocuted if you are working on a data network

This topic could really have the guts ripped out of it by the TVF comedians.And i have to say that i love reading some of the comments you guys make.Some of you are genuinely funny and very quick.
I can see all sorts of irony in this topic,and i would love to add my bit,but i have to remember that a family have lost a husband and father

.RIP Leccy guy.Its all very shocking.oops!whistling.gif

When I was working in Indonesia some years back, I walked into a laboratory full of students beavering away, and suddenly stopped when I was face to face with a twisted wire connection, hanging from the ceiling and supplying power to another area. No insulation tape, just a pair of bare wires, a few cm apart.

But not a problem - the wire was hanging at just above head height for Indonesians - and at eye level for me.

It seems to be the most common form of joining wires in most of SE Asia, and insulation tape seems to be a bit of a luxury.

The total lack of awareness as to what 220volts can do was amazing, with telephone wire used to supply power to light fittings, bare wire used in roof cavities to save on costs, water pumps and the like connected up with what looked like speaker wire, and of course, no earth.

I find no humor in the death of another person.

Plenty of armchair experts to arrive at a conclusion as to the source of the current, surrounding wires and conductive materials.

I'm not a crime scene expert, certified electrician, code enforcement inspector; I wasn't there, didn't inspect the the area in question and haven't a clue, expect for the bits written by someone who most likely got the story second or third hand.

There is no damm way there should be live 220 cables hanging around. Pulling CAt 5 cable is not an electrician's job. But it is the electrical contractor's job and the electrician's job to make sure that either the circuits are completed or off. The poor guy's family should file lawsuits against everyone in sight and the license revoked. But this is Thailand and it will not/can not happen. Just another way that gross negligence is condoned. Message to the PM: there are a lot of people in need of general attitude adjustments much more than politicians.