Drug Detection Dogs

cigar7

How come the Pattaya Police don't use drug detection dogs to find illegal drugs? There seems to be lots of illicit drugs available in Pattaya, on the streets, in nightclubs and condos. A quick walkabout through a condo, or standing in one place on beach road/walking street would reveal lots of contraband.

Due to forum rules I cannot tell you the most likely reason but if you think long and hard you probably know the answer yourself.

And don't start with "another Thai basher". My post is not based on hearsay but actual experience.

Edited by wump

It is expensive to purchase, train and maintain a dog and it's handler

The holy grail for dogs and detection has always been a "super dog" that could do both narcotics and drugs, unfortunately due to the different training methods no agency has ever been able to cross train dogs

Drug dogs "play" with their handler for a reward for finding drugs and if you have ever played with a dog, you sure as hell don't want a bomb detection dog to "play" at detecting explosives

The holy grail for dogs and detection has always been a "super dog" that could do both narcotics and drugs, unfortunately due to the different training methods no agency has ever been able to cross train dogs

Drug dogs "play" with their handler for a reward for finding drugs and if you have ever played with a dog, you sure as hell don't want a bomb detection dog to "play" at detecting explosives

I thought drugs and narcotics was pretty much the same? ?

What a great idea, that would make a fantastic present for the Ex and her extended family. thumbsup.gif

>>I thought drugs and narcotics was pretty much the same? ? <<

​Dogs can sniff certain drugs ,hash and Cocaine for example but Yaba ?

Actually the drug dogs will only alert on the drugs or whatever material they are trained on. Whether or not it is yaba (speed) will depend on whether or not the were trained to find it

Many countries, like Australia, use them to detect plants or other type of food stuff's in passenger luggage

A pointer, like above, is the perfect bomb dog, since it is trained just to signal to the handler that it has detected something, not play with it

Dog's also have a high rate of success when trained to detect cancerous tumors in hospital patients

myself and others I know have witnessed the cops at soi 9 openly supplying and selling drugs to the inmates there over many years. the Thai police are interested in maintaining a monopoly on the drug market, not eliminating it. also they apparently dont have the resources to do things like a quick walk down beach road at night, let alone train dogs and walk through condos

but every few years they have a shoot out on the Loas border for the news, everyone escapes unharmed and the Thai police get a big haul of drugs which then mysteriously disappears, the public think they are anti drugs and doing a great job and business continues as usual

Edited by phycokiller

Same routine for bombs or drugs, the dogs think it's all a game and do it for the same rewards.

>>I thought drugs and narcotics was pretty much the same? ? <<

​Dogs can sniff certain drugs ,hash and Cocaine for example but Yaba ?

Actually the drug dogs will only alert on the drugs or whatever material they are trained on. Whether or not it is yaba (speed) will depend on whether or not the were trained to find it

Many countries, like Australia, use them to detect plants or other type of food stuff's in passenger luggage

A pointer, like above, is the perfect bomb dog, since it is trained just to signal to the handler that it has detected something, not play with it

Dog's also have a high rate of success when trained to detect cancerous tumors in hospital patients

What do you mean play with it? Never seen dogs running about tossing bags of ganja up and down, they're trained to indicate, for everything.

myself and others I know have witnessed the cops at soi 9 openly supplying and selling drugs to the inmates there over many years. the Thai police are interested in maintaining a monopoly on the drug market, not eliminating it. also they apparently dont have the resources to do things like a quick walk down beach road at night, let alone train dogs and walk through condos

but every few years they have a shoot out on the Loas border for the news, everyone escapes unharmed and the Thai police get a big haul of drugs which then mysteriously disappears, the public think they are anti drugs and doing a great job and business continues as usual

So what did you do about it?

So what did you do about it?

I asked for credit but they refused

• 3 weeks later...

I heard and read years ago there are ways to deter these dogs, like red hot pepper powder which will irritate their sensitive snouts and move on, have no idea if it works or not.

I don't know either. But what works for sure; odor barrier bags from 3M or other brands. It can be used it to protect food from Bears. Bears have a better nose then dogs. I heard, in some Nordic regions it's mandatory for campers, walkers... to store their food in such bags.

Edited by alocacoc

I heard and read years ago there are ways to deter these dogs, like red hot pepper powder which will irritate their sensitive snouts and move on, have no idea if it works or not.

I don't know either. But what works for sure; odor barrier bags from 3M or other brands. It can be used it to protect food from Bears. Bears have a better nose then dogs. I heard, in some Nordic regions it's mandatory for campers, walkers... to store their food in such bags.

yes, dogs can smell more then one smell at a time so you cant hide with other smells, but moisture barrier bags will work, if you can find them in Thailand